Powermax "System Jammed" when changing batteries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stubbs
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2004

Powermax "System Jammed" when changing batteries.

I have an old Visonic Powermax alarm that's driving me mad, every time the battery needs changing on one of the wireless PIRs I then spend the next 2 hours trying to get rid of the "System Jammed" error message. This usually involves random combinations of changing the bettery again, shouting, swearing, changing other batteries, power cycling the CPU, swearing at the CPU, changing more batteries and eventually it starts working.

It's always triggered by changing the batteries in one of the remote units, not any particular one, but that's always the start of it.

Currently 2 hours into this round of trying to fix the problem.
    -S
  • Stubbs
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2004

and as if to illustrate a point I've changed the battery again in the unit on the wall and it's all cleared up.

I have about 6 or 7 spare rechargeable batteries that go in the PIRs, I've tried them all during the course of the last 2 hours but this time it's worked.
    -S

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Can you get into the install menu on the powermax, you can clear all the error messages from there. another option which is often easier is to delete the sensor from the powermax then re-enable it once the batteries are installed. Do you always use rechargeables. Personally I wouldn't use rechargables for PIR sensors. Rechargeables are only 1.2v so the pir is only getting a max voltage of 2.4 instead of 3V. But some rechargeables may be only producing 1.1 or even 1V.
      A decent battery such as the Energizer Ultimate lithium range should see your PIRs last about 3 to 3.5 years, they might cost a bit more but are worth it, plus I have never had a problem when changing batteries when using these or normal duracels for that matter.
      Last edited by toscal; 6 January 2015, 11:41 AM.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Stubbs
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2004

They are rechargeable but CR123A's rather than AA, they are 3.7v and the PIRs only take 1.
        -S

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Interesting didn't know they did rechargeable RCR123A, but aren't CR123A's 3V not 3.7V this could also be your problem. Why not try a normal CR123A and see if you get the same problem, as I still think it could be a battery problem.
          Have you had a look at maybe deleting the sensor then enabling it again.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X