Single/Multi-room with HR92's vs. HR80's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roydonaldson
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2013

Single/Multi-room with HR92's vs. HR80's ?

Hi there,

Wonder if someone could explain how this works. At the moment, I have in my Kitchen 2 radiators with HR80's on them and in my Utility room a single HR80. The EvoHome controller is also in this room. I have a single zone set with the 3 HR80's bound to it and the EvoHome set to be the temperature sensor. I had also set the parameter on the zone for Multi-Room.

However, I find that the utility room gets very warm while the main kitchen temp is fine. (the utility is a new build and is highly insulated with a quite large radiator in it).

Having, looked at the help on the EvoHome, it suggests that the Multi-room works on the HR92's as they have inbuilt temp sensors that bind at the same time as you bind the actuator. Is this right ?

How best would I set this up ? Should I just create another zone for the Utility room (I'd rather not).

Thanks,
    Roy.
  • SteveP
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2012

The HR80s have a temp sensor in. You select which one is to be the sensor for the zone and then carry out the additional temp sensor binding for that one valve as per the manual. Having one valve for two rooms will always be a compromise as unless the temperature profile of both rooms is identical one will always be warmer than the other. Also using the inbuilt controller sensor is never as good as the rad valve sensor as the controller is usually higher and doesn't benefit from the thermal currents that the valve would receive. Personally I would create two zones and bind one of the rads in the kitchen as the sensor for the zone and then the rad in the utility needs bind as both an actuator and then as the temp sensor. I believe you would then see the true benefits of the evohome system. So the only difference between the HR92 and HR80 is that when you bind the actuator for the HR92 it implicitly binds the temp sensor ( I believe that it is the last HR92 bound in a zone that becomes the temp sensor as that would allow you to change them around easily however some say it is the first bound which to my thinking is then a challenge if you want to swap the one that is the sensor in a multi HR92 zone. I have tried doing the temp sensor binding separately on the HR92 as if it were a HR80 and that seems to make that HR92 become the temp sensor for the zone and override any previous HR92 that was the temp sensor for the zone).

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

Take a look at the parameter settings for the zone, there is an option 'zone of multiple rooms' that sounds like it may be what you are looking for
      I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• roydonaldson
        Automated Home Guru
        • Jan 2013

I've seen this, but am slightly unsure how this works with HR80's vs. HR92's ?

from what I understand when you bind a HR92, it binds both the actuator plus the sensor at the same time. However, with a HR80, it binds just the actuator and then you bind the sensor separately ?

Comment

• top brake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
          I've seen this, but am slightly unsure how this works with HR80's vs. HR92's ?

from what I understand when you bind a HR92, it binds both the actuator plus the sensor at the same time. However, with a HR80, it binds just the actuator and then you bind the sensor separately ?
          Thanks correct, HR92 is usually a one button bind and the evo saves it as both sensor and actuator.
          When you bind another it saves it as just an actuator and uses the first as the sensor for the zone.

Selecting zone of multiple rooms enables the sensor on all heads so that they control each room semi independantly.

Make sense?

Comment

• bluemike1676
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
            Thanks correct, HR92 is usually a one button bind and the evo saves it as both sensor and actuator.
            When you bind another it saves it as just an actuator and uses the first as the sensor for the zone.

Selecting zone of multiple rooms enables the sensor on all heads so that they control each room semi independently.

Make sense?
            Can you just expand on the last point, if one has say a zone which covers two rooms with two HR92s in each room, If the zone is set to multi-room do all the temp sensors on all four HR92 become active? If it is the case then how is heat demand controlled for the zone. Is it the case that if ANY of the temp sensors in the HR92s is showing a temperature below the set point then heat is demanded for the zone (either though a BRD91 linked to a zone valve or controlling the boiler demand)?

Also it is always the case that the first temp sensor bound to a single-room zone (could be a HR92 or DTS92E wireless thermostat for instance) becomes the master temp sensor for the zone. Any further devices can only be actuators ?

There are so many great nuggets of information contained in these threads. I have picked up quite a few after reading through hundreds of postings but it would be great if these could be pulled together into a single document to save one have to spend hours trawling through the posts. Apologies if this has already been done but I haven't come across that post yet :-)

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by bluemike1676 View Post
              Can you just expand on the last point, if one has say a zone which covers two rooms with two HR92s in each room, If the zone is set to multi-room do all the temp sensors on all four HR92 become active? If it is the case then how is heat demand controlled for the zone. Is it the case that if ANY of the temp sensors in the HR92s is showing a temperature below the set point then heat is demanded for the zone (either though a BRD91 linked to a zone valve or controlling the boiler demand)?

Also it is always the case that the first temp sensor bound to a single-room zone (could be a HR92 or DTS92E wireless thermostat for instance) becomes the master temp sensor for the zone. Any further devices can only be actuators ?

There are so many great nuggets of information contained in these threads. I have picked up quite a few after reading through hundreds of postings but it would be great if these could be pulled together into a single document to save one have to spend hours trawling through the posts. Apologies if this has already been done but I haven't come across that post yet :-)
              Indeed, all HR92 become sensor and actuators and can send heat of demand to evohome. Evohome then fires boiler accordingly.

Have you tried the youlearn modules (link in my sig)

Comment

• bluemike1676
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                Indeed, all HR92 become sensor and actuators and can send heat of demand to evohome. Evohome then fires boiler accordingly.

Have you tried the youlearn modules (link in my sig)
                Hi Top Brake, thanks for the confirmation. I have taken all the elearning modules (about 6 weeks ago) but don't remember anything about how multi-room changes the behaviour of HR92 and other temp sensors.

Comment

• roydonaldson
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Jan 2013

Can you use HR80's in a multi-room configuration ? I thought they would bind sensor seperately and so, perhaps couldn't be used like that ?

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                    Can you use HR80's in a multi-room configuration ? I thought they would bind sensor seperately and so, perhaps couldn't be used like that ?
                    yes you can

Comment

• erik
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Feb 2015

Is mixing HR80's and HR92's something you would disencourage? Or should it be okay?

Comment

• top brake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by erik View Post
                        Is mixing HR80's and HR92's something you would disencourage? Or should it be okay?
                        it is absolutely fine

Comment

• a62vw
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Mar 2012

Is there a summary list of functional and feature differences between HR80 vs HR92's somewhere to reference?
                          I work for Resideo. However, any views expressed are mine and not those my employer.

Comment

Working...
                          X