What would you like to see in evohome? (have your say)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
    I don't think this right - changing the "master" HR92 changes others in the zone. It's 05:46, my heating is not scheduled to come on for a while but being up have turned up the master HR92 in my living room. Yes the heating has come on but only the one radiator is getting warm, the second one in the zone has stayed cold and not changed. I had after reading about this point ensured which was Master but never since tried it out until now. I have had to manually adjust the other radiator.
    You are correct, adjusting only one HR92 in a zone (when there is more than one radiator in the same zone) will only override the radiator you have adjusted not the others (irrespective if it is the 'sensor' HR92 or not).

Comment

• sharpener
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2015

Here is my three ha'porth

Must have

Off/Holiday should really mean the system is OFF. At the moment it can be overridden by local temperatures settings which will then fire the boiler. The proper way to do this (while maintaining frost protection) would be to temporarily set all valve upper limits to the frost protection/holiday value

System should recover from power fail/flat batteries to the exact previous state (including Off or Holiday) and within a reasonable time period (say one hour)

Display should show local temperature override settings as well

Facility to cancel all local overrides (without poking about with limit settings)

Direct internet access using a standard browser interface and not involving Honeywell or 3rd party servers

Downloadable firmware (what else is the USB socket for?) I have various routers, wireless access points, set top boxes and so forth which all offer this

Continuous development programme with software support for existing customers not just new ones. Where are the “future upgrades that can deliver more convenience” and “new functionality via the upgrade port” promised on p1 and p4 of the manual?

Nice to have

Screen-saver should show top-level program settings (Special Day/Eco/Holiday/Off) without you needing to check the affected zone(s). Don’t show the words “Schedule active” when no special schedule is in operation.

Better thought-out graphical interface including the following:
      · print the complete menu tree in the manual
      · simplified menu structure without similar or identical screens accessed by different routes
      · “Back” button that takes you BACK, not sometimes to a distant branch of the menu tree
      · Don’t show detail screens for options that have been deselected e.g. HW parameters in a heating-only system
      · Password protection (?multi-level) to limit access by children and visitors and to prevent tinkering with configuration settings
      · Save and restore configuration files (summer/winter/guests)

Diagnostic screens including
      · Which zone is calling for heat?
      · What are the signal strength/BER for all the RF links?

A simpler binding/rebinding process that does not require removing or dismantling valve actuators

BRD91 override button that turns boiler off until the next time setting not for just a few minutes

Anticipation e.g. to save valve actuator battery life don’t bother shutting all valves at night (with the attendant noise) if the next thing that will happen is they all open again in the morning (with the attendant noise).

Comment

• HeathU
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2014

My wish list:
        • Support more than 12 zones with one controller
        • Ability to quickly set HW/CH to come on once on the next day (e.g. catching flight in early hours and want hot water for a shower without having to reconfigure the schedules)

Comment

• Woody
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Feb 2015

Hi,

I am not sure about the situation in the UK, but in the Netherlands Honeywell seems deaf to suggestions by customers. So when I stumbled upon this forum I registered immediately; too good an opportunity to miss

One thing I really would like to see in Evohome before anything else is a way to find out what zone(s) is (are) responsible for switching on the boiler and how much heating power is required. At the moment the workings of Evohome and its Opentherm interface are completely hidden from the user. Make it a special window, only used when necessary, but give me something to find out what the system is doing.

Another thing is the error log. I want to be able to clear the error log. One flat battery in a TRV generates multiple warnings filling up this list, possibly obscuring real problems. Clearing the error log was not possible with the monochrome version and to my surprise it still is not possible with the new version.

Then I would like to see the outside temperature in the app. The outside temperature (when available) currently is shown on the Evohome display but not in the app. Certainly not a dealbreaker, but nice to have.

And the last thing, why can't I save / restore the settings of the Evohome to and from my PC? Why can't I program the Evohome in my desktop environment and, when I am happy with the settings, copy them to the Evohome controller. In the monochrome version there was a USB interface that (at least over here) came with the promise of a lot of 'future features'. In the three years I had the device not one of these features came to be. Now there is a new version with an Ethernet interface and I still am not able to connect to it from my PC. And of course the new version still has the 'future features' interface.....

All in all I find the Evohome a brilliant solution for my 11 zones, but I find the customer interface of this device below my expectations. It could be so much better.

Paul

Comment

• stobin
            • Feb 2015

1) Backup, save, import of settings via USB or web interface
            2) User updatable software for the controller
            3) Electric underfloor controller
            4) Temporary room schedules which can be enabled/disabled
            5) More zones per controller
            6) Two way zone comms updating controller with locally set overrides
            Last edited by stobin; 10 February 2015, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• orange
              Automated Home Guru
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by stobin View Post
              3) Electric underfloor controller
              there is a (unsupported?) way of doing this successfully with:

only suitable for smaller (sub 5 amp ?) loads but great for a bathroom - shame the thermostat is so ugly you could of course use the honeywell relay to trigger a bigger relay for larger systems.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
                • Feb 2009

I
                Originally posted by orange View Post

only suitable for smaller (sub 5 amp ?) loads but great for a bathroom - shame the thermostat is so ugly you could of course use the honeywell relay to trigger a bigger relay for larger systems.
                If there are several zones of electric UFH you can use a Honeywell Manifold Controller and interface relays/contactors, or BDR91s. There is a new round wireless room sensor that looks much better than the DT92 too. And don't forget ensure there is a suitable floor thermostat wired in series with the Evo relay, you still need high limit protection to avoid damaging the heating element and/or floor finishes.
                Sensible Heat
                SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                  Site Sponsor
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
                  There is a new round wireless room sensor that looks much better than the DT92 too.
                  Indeed the Y87RF is much nicer looking (shameless plug) - http://www.theevohomeshop.co.uk/prod...tat-y87rf2024/

We also sell the 10A evohome compatible relay by request!

Comment

• orange
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Dec 2014

just to kick this thread back to life and also bearing in mind that despite PROMISES of upgrades and updates to evotouch these never actually happened (AFAIK?) additionally we haven't really seen anything new on the controller since it's launch over a year ago (same firmware)....only tweaks to the (still poor) app and limited IFTTT support.

I'd be interested to find out from Honeywell what is actually possible as a firmware upgrade. My new understanding is that there are real limitations on what is actually possible and much of what has been requested is not actually feasible, even though it might seem a very simple software tweak.

Can anyone from honeywell tell us what 'might' be possible and if there is any likelihood of any of the requests being incorporated into the CURRENT evohome product ?

I hate to be a cynical naysayer but I'm willing to bet we won't see ANY changes to the controller during evohome's lifetime but we 'might' see app/IFTTT/web integration.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

I agree. The gateway is upgradeable. The controller am not sure but we do have a USB port on the side of it. It may be the better way to go, and perhaps the thought processes of the powers that be, is to improve the app, give it far more functionality, make it look nicer, useable on the iPad and able to fully override the controller so the latter simply becomes a conduit for instructions. We are more likely to have phones and iPads with us around the house and elsewhere than a control panel that is tucked away elsewhere and needs to be in a charger. Mine stays in the utility room. No need to have the thing standing out in the living room or elsewhere.

Comment

• top brake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Feb 2015

just to kick this thread back to life and also bearing in mind that despite PROMISES of upgrades and updates to evotouch these never actually happened (AFAIK?) additionally we haven't really seen anything new on the controller since it's launch over a year ago (same firmware)....only tweaks to the (still poor) app and limited IFTTT support.

I'd be interested to find out from Honeywell what is actually possible as a firmware upgrade. My new understanding is that there are real limitations on what is actually possible and much of what has been requested is not actually feasible, even though it might seem a very simple software tweak.

Can anyone from honeywell tell us what 'might' be possible and if there is any likelihood of any of the requests being incorporated into the CURRENT evohome product ?

I hate to be a cynical naysayer but I'm willing to bet we won't see ANY changes to the controller during evohome's lifetime but we 'might' see app/IFTTT/web integration.
                        interested to see where these 'promised' upgrades to firmware have been published?
                        can you point me in the right direction please?
                        I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• sharpener
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                          interested to see where these 'promised' upgrades to firmware have been published?
                          can you point me in the right direction please?
                          As mentioned in my posting #47 above, in the manual for the original monochrome controller it promises “future upgrades that can deliver more convenience” and “new functionality via the upgrade port” on p1 and p4 respectively.

Comment

• top brake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by sharpener View Post
                            As mentioned in my posting #47 above, in the manual for the original monochrome controller it promises “future upgrades that can deliver more convenience” and “new functionality via the upgrade port” on p1 and p4 respectively.
                            Thanks much appreciated.

There have been no software updates promised or implemented on the colour evo.

Comment

• HenGus
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • May 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post

There have been no software updates promised or implemented on the colour evo.
                              Forgive me, but the above statement is hardly re-assuring for anyone considering investing in an Evohome system.

Comment

• top brake
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                                Forgive me, but the above statement is hardly re-assuring for anyone considering investing in an Evohome system.
                                Interesting feedback, thanks

It's all about managing expectations and perceptions

I would have thought most buy product based on what it does today?

Comment

Working...
                                X