• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • braisim
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2015

problem with HR80 valve - sticks in on position

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. I had an evohome system installed in my house a couple of years ago when we had the house renovated and a new heating system put in.

The plumber wasn't trained in evohome but after a bit of work I was able to set the system up myself, and it has worked pretty well. Unfortunately in Belgium, where I live, the level of knowledge and support available for evohome is very limited.

Anyway, to get to my question (I've looked around and searched on this forum but haven't seen it asked/answered before). One of the HR80s seems to be stuck. There is no error message showing, but the 'batt' message shows whenever the valve has to open or close. The evohome controller shows a problem with the actuator and the ambient temperature sensor.

However it's definitely not a battery issue as I've tried 2 sets of fresh batteries. I suspect that the valve closing mechanism is at fault, because whereas the sound from other HR80s indicates that the opening/closing mechanism works smoothly, on this radiator it sounds very laboured. After closing or attempting to close the 'batt' message appears and the same thing occurs if I take the batteries out and try again. The result is that the radiator is stuck 'on', throwing out heat when it's not required or requested.

Is there anything I can do to try and free up the mechanism, like applying some machine oil somewhere? I don't really want to have to replace the HR80 with a new one (also as I'm not sure how to do this myself).

I'd appreciate any advice you might have - thanks.
  • SensibleHeatUK
    • Feb 2009

Can you test the HR80 on another radiator to see if the fault is due to a seized valve rather than the HR80?
    Sensible Heat
    SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• braisim
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2015

Thanks - good idea - I will try that later and report back.

Comment

• erik
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2015

Or another HR80 on the same radiator Both are a good test.

Comment

Working...
        X