• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveGB
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2015

head blown... advice needed please

Hi all,
    I'm completely new to home automation but with my new house build it's something I want to get into.
    My problem is information overload after reading reviews, forums etc. And now I can't see the wood for the trees. I'm hoping someone can focus me a bit.

Essentially the plan is to have some sort of gui on wall mounted display screens that shows the actual house floor plan, tap the room you want to control and from that control lights, room audio ( music and surround sound), media, heating, cctv etc. Depending on what's in it. Also available to control from Android phones.
    I would prefer hardwired cat 5/6 rather than radio or using power lines.

I was thinking maybe raspberry pi in each room networking to a central pc. If that's a bad idea shoot it down.

I know about electrics, enough about networks and nothing about coding.

Any advice on hardwar, protocols, existing software ( or even good sources for learning coding) gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

have a look at Loxone.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• SteveGB
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2015

Thanks, had a look at loxone a few times, but keep seeing some very mixed reviews.

Anybody got personal experience?

Comment

• gbredneck
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2014

As Toscal said, take a look at Loxone, the pricing is pretty reasonable, i've been living with an install for the last 12 months, and am pretty much pleased with it.

We've just moved our heating over to it, removing a British Gas Hive controller, so we're running the whole house on Loxone now.

Comment

• SteveGB
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Mar 2015

Thanks for the reply.
          What are you running on it? Lights, sockets, music, blinds etc..

Comment

• gbredneck
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Feb 2014

Lights, heating, power monitoring, PIR for lighting and alarm, IR extension.

Not sure where to go with it next but its doing quite a lot.

Comment

Working...
            X