• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonstatt
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2015

Whistling radiators

All of my radiators previously had Myson (Potterton) TRVs. So it is very easy to changeover to the HR92s. What I found is that sometimes the HR92 will almost, very very almost close out one of the valves (perhaps it is intentionally still letting a bit of heat in), but when it does this, it seems to create a whistling noise (it's not air). I assume it's some resonance effect as a small amount of water is pushed with reasonable pressure through the very small gap at the valve. I wouldn't say the noise is "upsetting" but I would prefer it didn't do it. Can anyone recommend a fine tuning setting I can do on the HR92 to eliminate this? Only a few of them are doing this, and I have validated that the screw thread is done up completely (but not over-tightened)
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by jonstatt View Post
    All of my radiators previously had Myson (Potterton) TRVs. So it is very easy to changeover to the HR92s. What I found is that sometimes the HR92 will almost, very very almost close out one of the valves (perhaps it is intentionally still letting a bit of heat in), but when it does this, it seems to create a whistling noise (it's not air). I assume it's some resonance effect as a small amount of water is pushed with reasonable pressure through the very small gap at the valve. I wouldn't say the noise is "upsetting" but I would prefer it didn't do it. Can anyone recommend a fine tuning setting I can do on the HR92 to eliminate this? Only a few of them are doing this, and I have validated that the screw thread is done up completely (but not over-tightened)
    Try setting to 'full stroke' mode in the HR92 installer mode

However certain models of Myson TRV have different closing dimensions...
    Send me a picture please
    Last edited by top brake; 25 March 2015, 07:30 PM.
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• jonstatt
      Automated Home Guru
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
      Try setting to 'full stroke' mode in the HR92 installer mode

However certain models of Myson TRV have different closing dimensions...
      Send me a picture please

Thanks for the help. Is this picture sufficient?

I don't know if you can recognise it from this or want to see the base fitting etc.

EDIT: Apologies for the rotated picture..on my desktop it's the right way up!

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Thanks for the help. Is this picture sufficient?

I don't know if you can recognise it from this or want to see the base fitting etc.

EDIT: Apologies for the rotated picture..on my desktop it's the right way up!
        unfortunately that looks like one of the models that has different closing dimensions

suggest that you remove the HR92 from its coupling and see if (by turning the black wheel) you can fully close the valve

if not you may be able to tighten the coupling a little further on, see if that works?

if you still have a problem let me know and i may be able to provide a solution...

a picture of the trv body without coupling would help too

Comment

• jonstatt
          Automated Home Guru
          • Feb 2015

unfortunately that looks like one of the models that has different closing dimensions

suggest that you remove the HR92 from its coupling and see if (by turning the black wheel) you can fully close the valve

if not you may be able to tighten the coupling a little further on, see if that works?

if you still have a problem let me know and i may be able to provide a solution...

a picture of the trv body without coupling would help too

Thanks. I removed the HR92, and I found that when it is whistling, I can still turn the black wheel about another half turn and then it stops....so does this mean the "Full stroke" suggestion you gave is worth a shot here?

There wasn't really much more movement in tightening the coupling.

Here is a picture of the TRV body.

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

Thanks. I removed the HR92, and I found that when it is whistling, I can still turn the black wheel about another half turn and then it stops....so does this mean the "Full stroke" suggestion you gave is worth a shot here?

There wasn't really much more movement in tightening the coupling.

Here is a picture of the TRV body.

indeed, please try full torque mode and let me know if you still have problem

p.s. do you have a system bypass valve installed? how is it set?
            high pressure/force could be stopping the HR92 from closing
            Last edited by top brake; 26 March 2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• jonstatt
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2015

The radiator loops are pressurised with an expansion vessel set to 1.5 bars when cold (goes up to 2 bars when hot)
              There is indeed a bypass valve which I have been very suspicious has never been set correctly (Pegler USV 16/22). Unfortunately Pegler no longer have the graphs for it, and the pump manufacturer no longer exists so I have had to set it based on "hearing" the flow of water when the s-plan Honeywell motorised valve closes. It was set to 1 (fully open) which means I have been shoving water straight into the return of the bypass loop all these years wasting who knows much energy. I have now set it to 5 (7 is the most closed value). So it "should" be okay based on my inexact approach to this and not the cause of this, but it is interesting how it is the lower floor HR92s doing this more than the top floor ones! So I may need to tinker more with this or simply replace with a new one that I can find a graph to work out the right value for!

I will try full torque mode.

Thanks again.
              Last edited by jonstatt; 26 March 2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• jonstatt
                Automated Home Guru
                • Feb 2015

I am still getting the whistling. It doesn't always happen, but the full torque mode didn't seem to make much difference. When it is fully closed, I can still quite easily turn the black wheel a bit more and stop it....there doesn't seem to be any "resistance" to turning the black wheel. I am guessing full torque mode is more about the other end of the thread, opening out more rather than closing more. I really can't tighten the thread onto the TRV body any more either. You mentioned you "may" have another solution?

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

I am still getting the whistling. It doesn't always happen, but the full torque mode didn't seem to make much difference. When it is fully closed, I can still quite easily turn the black wheel a bit more and stop it....there doesn't seem to be any "resistance" to turning the black wheel. I am guessing full torque mode is more about the other end of the thread, opening out more rather than closing more. I really can't tighten the thread onto the TRV body any more either. You mentioned you "may" have another solution?
                  pm me your name and address and i will send you something to try

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

My valves are/were the same. No whistling. ? The valve itself is sticking.

Comment

• jonstatt
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                      My valves are/were the same. No whistling. ? The valve itself is sticking.
                      A valve can stick "closed" , but it can't stick "open". What is happening is simply that the HR92 is not tightening all the way to the end. As I can confirm as soon as I remove the HR92, I turn the little black wheel...it moves very easily and just a tiny tiny bit of a turn and the whistling stops. It is like getting 99.5% closed which is why it is whistling. It is interesting you have the same fittings, but it could be as something as simple as variance in manufacture of the original valves, because not all my radiators are doing it...about 4 out of 12 are doing it (or at least that I have noticed so far).

Comment

• jonstatt
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Feb 2015

pm me your name and address and i will send you something to try
                        Many thanks indeed. PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                        X