Thread: Boiler Relay and DHW Zone vs CH and DHW Zones?

Automated Home Guru

Default Boiler Relay and DHW Zone vs CH and DHW Zones?

I have an S-Plan system (two zone valves, one for DHW and one for central heating, with HR92's on all radiators. I believe there are two options for configuring Evohome on this system:

1. Configure Evohome to have no boiler demand, instead having 2 zone valves which in turn control the boiler/pump.

2. Electrically disconnect and manually open the central heating zone valve, and configure Evohome as having a boiler relay and just one DHW zone valve.

I'm just wondering what the benefits of each option are, especially in terms of pump overrun etc.

Thanks!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

My system was installed by "professionals" and they went for option 1. It's also the option shown for S-Plan in the installer manual.

P.

Automated Home Guru

See I have that option now but it seems a waste, as soon as the heat demand stops, the zone valve closes and then the 10min pump overrun is wasted, just pumping it round the bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by garmcqui View Post
    See I have that option now but it seems a waste, as soon as the heat demand stops, the zone valve closes and then the 10min pump overrun is wasted, just pumping it round the bypass.
    But that's still going to happen isn't it? If the TRVs are all closed even if the heating valve is forced open the bypass is the only place for the water to go.

Plus, if you get the Evohome to do its version of overrun, the boiler will still do its own overrun when the boiler relay switches off, so you'll end up with two overruns.

Probably

P.

Automated Home Guru

No, as the HR92's don't just close fully immediately after boiler demand switches off, they seem to close partially, allowing a little water through even after they've reached their set temperature. This allows the pump overrun to circulate water and excess heat from the boiler which would otherwise be wasted.

Unsure what you mean by Evohome's version of overrun, I thought that was only on hot water?

Quote Originally Posted by garmcqui View Post

Unsure what you mean by Evohome's version of overrun, I thought that was only on hot water?
    It's in the hot water part of the menu, but it acts on the boiler relay (if fitted) so I assumed it would work on both?

Automated Home Guru

No it just delays the hot water relay being turned off by the defined time period, after the boiler relay is turned off.

Ah - there was another post which said it was for Heating too.

P.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 26th April 2015 at 07:43 AM.