Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick way to change to summer temp profile?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
    You can combine the netamo weather station if there is a suitable trigger. But as you say - this add costs of buying the unit. I find the post code service suitable as this is professionally done (ie 2 feet above ground in the shade, away from conducting surface etc) and free.
    I have a Netamo and looking at the outside temperature in comparison to other Netamo's in my area and Yahoo weather they all differ by quite a few degree's. The problem with the Netamo is you have to mount it under cover to protect from direct rain and the issue of it being on a sunny facing wall etc, so placement can give you wildly differing measurements i find. I think ill be trusting Yahoo!

Automated Home Jr Member

I've got a couple of bits of kit with outside sensors. Getting them placed on a north facing elevation is key, then get a feel for what outside temp you don't need your heating on, this is likely to be somewhere between 16 to 18 degrees. Netatmo should be a good option although ifttt may prove to be a bit unreliable. In my experience local weather can vary greatly from forecast temperatures. Shame that something like netatmo and ifttt is the only option to allow outside temp influence evohome, this should be part of the product offering.

My netatmo will arrive next week and I've only bought it to add this important functionality to evohome. My boiler can turn the heating off at a predetermined outside temp but this could confuse the evohome system.

Quote Originally Posted by willcurrie View Post
    I've got a couple of bits of kit with outside sensors. Getting them placed on a north facing elevation is key, then get a feel for what outside temp you don't need your heating on, this is likely to be somewhere between 16 to 18 degrees. Netatmo should be a good option although ifttt may prove to be a bit unreliable. In my experience local weather can vary greatly from forecast temperatures. Shame that something like netatmo and ifttt is the only option to allow outside temp influence evohome, this should be part of the product offering.

My netatmo will arrive next week and I've only bought it to add this important functionality to evohome. My boiler can turn the heating off at a predetermined outside temp but this could confuse the evohome system.
    As per my previous 'thread' and responses elsewhere in the forum - outside weather compensation is not required for evohome or to make it effective. Quite simply due to the room by room sensing capability we actually exceed weather compensation performance, choosing to measure AND act on what is inside the home.

With regards to your comment on experience with local vs weather forecast - I agree. Which is why I advocate actual triggers (ie an actual temp reading) - rather than the forecast capability inside IFTTT.
    Last edited by Rameses; 30th April 2015 at 10:51 AM.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Jr Member

Wink

As per my previous 'thread' and responses elsewhere in the forum - outside weather compensation is not required for evohome or to make it effective. Quite simply due to the room by room sensing capability we actually exceed weather compensation performance, choosing to measure AND act on what is inside the home.
    As comfort is subjective, as is perceived efficiency, there is clearly going to be occasions where agreement is unlikely. Knowledge and experience however do add weight to opinion when trying to establish fact. My previous post neither mentions or relates to weather compensation. Weather compensation has a completely different function than what is being discussed in this thread.

The fact is that during the spring and autumn periods, when there is still heating demand, there are days when the sun shines and raises the outside temperature to a level that negates the need for heating for some people. For example I know that when the air temperature on the north side of my house reaches 18 degrees I don't need my heating to be on because the south side of my house will be at a much higher temp and my room temperatures will rise naturally. If I had an automatic heating stop function in evohome that could deactivate the heating schedule when outside reached 18 and reactivate when it dropped below again, (obviously with some time damping factor, lag, built in), this would eliminate some periods of heating run time for my house.

This function is now built into a number of heating appliances particularly in the renewables sector and often along side weather compensation. I'm adding this functionality in a relatively expensive and unreliable way because evohome does not do this and I know that in the above circumstances my rooms will naturally achieve target temperature without the heating coming on, albeit a little slower. Without this functionality my heating could come on and heat the rooms up when in reality I wouldn't need that to happen. I'm also adding this functionality because I like to test 'toys' before rolling them out to my customers.

I'm not knocking the evohome product, but personally I'd like this option within the functionality.

Automated Home Jr Member

But as you've admitted, in spring the temperature you want inside the room isn't the same as in winter as your perception of what is warm enough changes, hence the need to add IFTTT.com to tweak the one touch options. Kind of contradicts the above?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by willcurrie View Post
    I know that in the above circumstances my rooms will naturally achieve target temperature without the heating coming on, albeit a little slower. Without this functionality my heating could come on and heat the rooms up when in reality I wouldn't need that to happen.
    Agreed. And they will likely overshoot too as both the sun and Evohome are heating the room at the same time. That overshoot (and the corresponding stuffy feeling in the room) is enough for my wife to start complaining and saying we have the temperatures set too high as Evohome isnt too good at scrubbing off heat when it overshoots due to the sun!