Summer EvoHome set-up: how do you do when you don't need heating for a few months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emmeesse68
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2014

Summer EvoHome set-up: how do you do when you don't need heating for a few months?

Hello all,

It's getting warm here in Italy, so I begun thinking what to do with my EvoHome, since I set it up this winter and didn't really think of the best way to pass summer.

At first I thought to leave it alone, just kicking the "Off" quick action in, and switch my combi boiler to DHW only (summer mode). Simple and quick.

That would do the trick but my HR92s would then be fully shut, and I read that it should be better to leave TRVs fully open when the heating's off for a long time (more than a few days) to relax opening coils as a main reason, but also because that would allow me bleeding/rinsing the full pipework and radiators.

Another possibility I was thinking about was switching HR92s and DT92s off by removing batteries but leave the controller and mains-powered components in place. Then I could just leave all my HR92s mounted, without batteries, opening radiators by manually turning the black dial. That would achieve some battery saving as well. This way I could keep using my smartphone to check out temperature remotely (that one measured by the controller intrnal sensor, at least), but would trigger a lot of errors in the controller log and email alert, I think, since all other sensors and actuators would be offline. Would this make the system "forget" what was learned or bindings as well?

So I began wondering whether to turn everything off, take batteries out of HR92s and DT92s, and unplug/remove batteries from the controller until the next autumn. Being the controller itself off, there would be no error flooding in the controller nor emails, if I disconnect the RFG100 as well (just one fiirst mail to tell me that my system is offline).

But the question about temperature curve and binding comes back... and, what would happen to the boiler controlling relay (BDR91 or R8810)? I read somewhere in the documents about an emergency setting that would turn heating on at 20% (time or power, that it's the same in TPI environment). No big deal if I switch my boiler into "summer mode" (DHW only), I think, ...or I am missing something?

Are there any recommendations from Honeywell? What are you doing when you don't need your heating system in summer?

Thanks for sharing...
  • f1arp72
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2015

For what it's worth, I've got mine set to "OFF" via the Custom Action. No different to me than changing schedule to say 10 degrees for the summer months to stop it coming on. Valves are closed anyway. I can't see they would of been designed in a way that would damage them because they are closed, and they do cycle one a week (or once every two weeks, I can't remember).

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

I'm sure in the HR92 manual it says they 'exercise' themselves every couple of weeks if the valve hasn't moved, to prevent them seizing up.

P.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

As to switching everything off, why would you? If your house isn't cold enough then nothing will switch on. But if there's a cold morning (or a sea mist, here on the coast) then it might just kick in a little bit to make the house comfortable.

I've never understood, even with 'dumb' thermostats, why people switch their heating on and off. It's that what the box on the wall is designed to do?

P.

Comment

• f1arp72
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
          As to switching everything off, why would you?
          I'm at a stage with the current weather where my house hovers around 21 anyway, so the heating was coming on and off and on again but not really doing anything so I just turned it off at the controller.

Comment

• Mavis
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Oct 2014

We had our Evohome installed last August and I just used the Quick action 'Off' and will be using this again once it gets a bit warmer (it is still cold oopp north). As someone has already said the HR92s cycle every two weeks anyway.

BTW, which part of Italy are you emmeesse68, hubby is Italian.

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
              We had our Evohome installed last August and I just used the Quick action 'Off' and will be using this again once it gets a bit warmer (it is still cold oopp north). As someone has already said the HR92s cycle every two weeks anyway.
              ^this

no need to remove batteries or worry
              I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

from the user guide

evo off.jpg

Comment

• emmeesse68
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
                  BTW, which part of Italy are you emmeesse68, hubby is Italian.
                  Northern Italy, close to Milan... rather cold in the winter, really hot in summer, always damp... But I often spend days in Tuscany...

back to the topic... Mavis, Top Brake, paulockenden, f1arp72, you're right about the ease of leaving everything "on" or just select the "Off" quick action, and I was actually thinking about leaving my EvoHome alone.

But I always think it's better not to leave on any unused appliance, for several reasons. First, everything that's "off", should not break. Second, why leave an unused electrical device plugged in? It would just consume electricity (not to mention batteries).

One more thing, I read in my TRV manual that it's better to leave them open when unused because the TRV coils would benefit being left open (that means: relaxed) rather than staying close (compressed), even if the HR92s would cycle every two weeks... my valves are oldish and I think it's better not to stress them too much.

As an (almost) unrelated issue, I was planning to call my plumber and have my heating system cleansed this summer. This process involves pumping water through pipes and radiators to chemically remove dirt and then rinse everything to remove the chemicals and debris. I think you need to have all valves open to do this (not to talk of lockshields, and the need of rebalancing next winter ), so I add this on top, as a reason to leave valves open - that I think would imply turning HR92s off or removing them from the radiators...

Anyway, if whatever the reason, I wanted to switch evetything off, am I going to lose the learned info and bindings information? And what about my R8810, would it try to fire my boiler if it wasn't able to detect the controller?

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by emmeesse68 View Post
                    Northern Italy, close to Milan... rather cold in the winter, really hot in summer, always damp... But I often spend days in Tuscany...

back to the topic... Mavis, Top Brake, paulockenden, f1arp72, you're right about the ease of leaving everything "on" or just select the "Off" quick action, and I was actually thinking about leaving my EvoHome alone.

But I always think it's better not to leave on any unused appliance, for several reasons. First, everything that's "off", should not break. Second, why leave an unused electrical device plugged in? It would just consume electricity (not to mention batteries).

One more thing, I read in my TRV manual that it's better to leave them open when unused because the TRV coils would benefit being left open (that means: relaxed) rather than staying close (compressed), even if the HR92s would cycle every two weeks... my valves are oldish and I think it's better not to stress them too much.

As an (almost) unrelated issue, I was planning to call my plumber and have my heating system cleansed this summer. This process involves pumping water through pipes and radiators to chemically remove dirt and then rinse everything to remove the chemicals and debris. I think you need to have all valves open to do this (not to talk of lockshields, and the need of rebalancing next winter ), so I add this on top, as a reason to leave valves open - that I think would imply turning HR92s off or removing them from the radiators...

Anyway, if whatever the reason, I wanted to switch evetything off, am I going to lose the learned info and bindings information? And what about my R8810, would it try to fire my boiler if it wasn't able to detect the controller?

you can unpower the evohome controller and it won't lose the binding. when you power it up it will re-sync with its paired devices. all you will need to do is set date/time

The HR92 wont use any 'power on the motor' when not driving open or closed; the motor is not powered to keep the valve in closed position - it is a worm drive
                    cycling the valves every 2 weeks stops the TRV seizing

if there is no call for heat from the controller the boiler relay (BDR or R8810) will not fire the boiler.

advice is to leave everything active and powered

Comment

• emmeesse68
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                      you can unpower the evohome controller and it won't lose the binding. when you power it up it will re-sync with its paired devices. all you will need to do is set date/time
                      Oh OK, this is good!

The HR92 wont use any 'power on the motor' when not driving open or closed; the motor is not powered to keep the valve in closed position - it is a worm drive
                      cycling the valves every 2 weeks stops the TRV seizing
                      Agreed, but the TRV coil will stay squashed all the time, and this could be a (minor) issue. Something more important, in my opinion, is about removing batteries from something you won't notice it's not working all summer long, if batteries get completely flat... a leaking battery could damage a HR92 (or a DT92 I think) if it goes unnoticed for several days. That's why it should be better t take batteries out of any appliance you're not going to use for a while...

if there is no call for heat from the controller the boiler relay (BDR or R8810) will not fire the boiler.
                      uhm, I think I read something about a "Failsafe Mode" setting that would activate a boiler relay whn the controller is not reachable... I found it in a DT92E manual, and in the installer menu of my Evohome, so I assume I should deactivate it, otherwise my R8810 would set for a 20% power when losing RF connection to the controller...

advice is to leave everything active and powered
                      In the end, I think I will take this advice and just let my EvoHome alone... It will consume a little electricity but will as well report any possible issue (say, a power loss) when I'm away, thanks to the CC website alerting...

Thanks!

Comment

• G4RHL
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2015

Not sure we need to be concerned about the seasons. Just leave the system on and adjust the temperatures to suit. Use the custom menus etc. To me that is one of the objects of the system.

Comment

• Rameses
                          Industry Expert
                          • Nov 2014

System is designed with the whole year in mind. Our advice is to leave batteries in. The power draw is nominal. You will get an alert if there is power issue on the device, more than enough time to react.

The valves cycle (even when 'off') to maintain integrity of mechanism and comms.

Hate to sound like a broken record- but the IFTTT recipe is 'perfect' for those who want to link 'summer' with their system. But as others have said - as the system measures room by room temps comfort is an all year round possible requirement.
                          Last edited by Rameses; 26 May 2015, 10:12 AM.
                          getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• jonstatt
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                            Not sure we need to be concerned about the seasons. Just leave the system on and adjust the temperatures to suit. Use the custom menus etc. To me that is one of the objects of the system.
                            I know this is a month old post but wanted to resurrect this. This is true only if you keep your room doors closed all the time which of course is a EVOHOME strong recommendation, but something that many people don't like as it creates a segmented home, and often reduces light in hallways. In a town house there is a significant disparity between ground floor and top floor. The heating is quite likely to come on to heat up the ground floor even in early summer....but some of this heat escapes and goes to the top floor. The trouble is a modern UK home will have plenty of lagging in the loft. This means that heat then gets stuck on the top floor where the bedrooms are making it too hot at night, even with a window open if the night is a warmer one. Therefore it is better to tolerate a cooler kitchen to have a better bedroom temperature at night. This isn't the case in winter where that heat that does escape just helps contribute to warming up the top floor to the desired temperature. So in an idealistic viewpoint what you say is true....but only if you follow the rules In my case it is simply better to disable the heating in the warmer seasons.

Comment

• G4RHL
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jan 2015

Much depends on your settings. There is little point my switching my heating off (unless going away) for it does not come on unless there is a temperature drop and I would want it on then. Rising heat overheating bedrooms I never find an issue (my house is relatively modern), what is an issue is hot days making hot bedrooms and hot nights. On those days or nights the heating is not coming on to contribute to it. I have just returned from being away 4 days. I monitored the heat from afar, it being left in the off position. The house only dropped to 17c upstairs and down.

Comment

Working...
                              X