• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Hcw82

Just blagged an HCW82 (which appears to be a bit of a rare beast).

Before I mess anything up does anyone know whether there's any special magic required to bind it as a room sensor for an Evohome zone?

Ta.

P.
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post

Before I mess anything up does anyone know whether there's any special magic required to bind it as a room sensor for an Evohome zone?

Ta.

P.
    no witchcraft required Paul, it's actually very simple and covered in the installation guide
    Attached Files
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
      Site Sponsor
      • Dec 2014

Ta.

P.
      Rare? - http://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywel...hermostat.html

Comment

• davidaj
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2015

Given an HR92 appears to be the cheapest "sensor", can this be used without attaching to a radiator to act as the sensor/controller for the room? I'm surprised the HCW82 costs more than an HR92 given the extra functionality an HR92 provides.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
          Site Sponsor
          • Dec 2014

I would think it is a simple equation of production quantities really - the more of one piece you manufacture the lower the cost is.

The HR92 is mass produced, where the HCW82 is not as popular therefore costs more to produce.

Comment

• davidaj
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2015

Makes sense. I'm moving to underfloor heating on the ground floor soon, so will have a few spare HR92s, so was thinking of re-purposing them as room sensors for the underfloor heating. I'm thinking it will try to operate its motor when requesting heat though, or confuse evohome in some other way?

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Ah - I didn't think of looking in the Evohome manual. The HCW82 manual doesn't mention Evohome (perhaps it's old stock).

As to DavidAJ's point about a 'cheap' room sensor, I wonder whether he could use an HR92 (as long as it can be hidden behind an ornament or something?). Would that work? If the little catch isn't moved across then the motor gubbins wouldn't be enabled. Or is that the stupidest idea ever?

Incidentally, there's a fella selling HCW82s on eBay for £25. Guess where I got mine....

P.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                Site Sponsor
                • Dec 2014

Good price that Paul, but they are 7 years old mind lol (date code on the sellers photo is 0846).

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

There was someone selling a Hometronic controller and (if I remember correctly) four HCW82s a couple of weeks ago. I suspect this person bought that, and is how selling the room stats on separately.

P.

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

There was someone selling a Hometronic controller and (if I remember correctly) four HCW82s a couple of weeks ago. I suspect this person bought that, and is how selling the room stats on separately.

P.
                    Hi Paul

what is the benefit you see of a HCW82 compared to a DT92 or Y87RF?

thanks

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                      what is the benefit you see of a HCW82 compared to a DT92 or Y87RF?
                      That's what I'm hoping to find out.

I expect the answer will be "none".

(I suppose I could always claim that I'm going for the full set!)

P.

Comment

• top brake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Feb 2015

That's what I'm hoping to find out.

I expect the answer will be "none".

(I suppose I could always claim that I'm going for the full set!)

P.
                        also please take care Paul that this isn't a thermostat in the traditional sense, rather it is an 'offset control' that will set a semi-permanent offset to the evohome set point

rather counter-intuitive to most; these are typically found in commercial buildings

if you want a simple room sensor you can also get a HCF82 without the adjustment wheel

Comment

• Caudera
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                          also please take care Paul that this isn't a thermostat in the traditional sense, rather it is an 'offset control' that will set a semi-permanent offset to the evohome set point

rather counter-intuitive to most; these are typically found in commercial buildings

if you want a simple room sensor you can also get a HCF82 without the adjustment wheel
                          Let's say that the temperature program has 20° C as setpoint for a zone with an HCW82 installed, and this one is set to +3° C. What exactly happens? What setpoint is shown on the controller? 23? Showing a local override?
                          Thanks

Comment

• top brake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Caudera View Post
                            Let's say that the temperature program has 20° C as setpoint for a zone with an HCW82 installed, and this one is set to +3° C. What exactly happens? What setpoint is shown on the controller? 23? Showing a local override?
                            Thanks
                            I'm not sure and I don't have one to hand to test so I have escalated to support

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

The way I think it works is it reports the temp back to the controller, but if you adjust the dial then that reported temp is offset.

E.g. If the room is at 20 degrees, and you set it to +2 then it only reports for the zone. So when the zone thinks it's at 20 it is really 22.

I only use it as a remote sensor in a room where the hr92s struggle. I don't use the dial.

Comment

Working...
                              X