Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No weather information

Automated Home Legend

Yes, but I seem to have collected a variety of weather programmes and apps over the years including other apps that access weather data. I have tried them all and every one gives me my correct location. It is only Evohome that is the exception. All the weather sources I am sure collect their data from similar nodes and then present it to us. My suspicion is Honeywell have done something in the app that limits the number of locations.

I do agree but I am now not sure how other apps/weather websites, etc are as up to date as they appear. I have just looked closer at the BBC weather and it shows my true location of SR but when I looked closer it does say that the Observation Station is Albermarle. So is it perhaps more that the other apps/site are more 'clever' and find the nearest weather station to the input location and Honeywell just don't have that joining thing going on so only have the logic as true if the town/city is a perfect match to a weather observation station. (if that makes sense) ??

Automated Home Legend

Honeywell removed a function in the app in the last upgrade which recognised your full address and then presumably got the weather from a dedicated website which checks addresses against weather data it correlates from weather stations around the world. These web sites use all sorts of software to compare, check and predict for the address given. The weather apps tell us the weather is for exactly where we are but that is rarely if ever correct. It is an estimation of what the weather will be drawn from an immense amount of weather data. I have found most generally quite accurate even though there is no weather station right where I am.

I checked the Met Office and it seems they have one which is 1.4 miles away at Thornley. Thornley is more than 1.4 miles from me but I think I know where this station may be, it has simply been given that name as it is near to Thornley and if I'm right it is just possible that measuring as the crow flies it is close to 1.4. Will have to check! However, if I tell the app my city is Thornley, and Thornley is very much not a City, then it recognises it!

It could be Honeywell have changed the web site used to collect weather data but bearing in mind other weather apps do not exhibit this issue I am not so sure. Indeed if this is the case then it begs the question why Honeywell did not respond to my original query some time ago and say so. It surely would be one of the easiest queries to answer. Except that before the upgrade to the app it worked OK!

Probably it is how Honeywell are sending the address data to the sites used has changed resulting in a rejection for some addresses.

I understand one of the most accurate apps for weather is Climendo which compares information provided by a number of weather providers around the world.
    Last edited by G4RHL; 28th July 2015 at 04:58 PM.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Honeywell removed a function in the app in the last upgrade which recognised your full address and then presumably got the weather from a dedicated website which checks addresses against weather data it correlates from weather stations around the world. These web sites use all sorts of software to compare, check and predict for the address given. The weather apps tell us the weather is for exactly where we are but that is rarely if ever correct. It is an estimation of what the weather will be drawn from an immense amount of weather data. I have found most generally quite accurate even though there is no weather station right where I am.

I checked the Met Office and it seems they have one which is 1.4 miles away at Thornley. Thornley is more than 1.4 miles from me but I think I know where this station may be, it has simply been given that name as it is near to Thornley and if I'm right it is just possible that measuring as the crow flies it is close to 1.4. Will have to check! However, if I tell the app my city is Thornley, and Thornley is very much not a City, then it recognises it!

It could be Honeywell have changed the web site used to collect weather data but bearing in mind other weather apps do not exhibit this issue I am not so sure. Indeed if this is the case then it begs the question why Honeywell did not respond to my original query some time ago and say so. It surely would be one of the easiest queries to answer. Except that before the upgrade to the app it worked OK!

Probably it is how Honeywell are sending the address data to the sites used has changed resulting in a rejection for some addresses.

I understand one of the most accurate apps for weather is Climendo which compares information provided by a number of weather providers around the world.

i too noticed this 'location not recognised' so i changed my location (not Postcode field) to nearest town rather than my village and it worked

for those that have contacted Honeywell Consumer Support directly I understand that you will be receiving a response in the next few days

hope this helps, Honeywell are on this
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Automated Home Legend

Have had an email from Honeywell this morning to say that a new version of the app is on the way to fix the problem.