• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OliB
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2015

Possible 868Mhz interference with Evohome

I installed a 4 underfloor zone plus 2 valve zone system about 10 months ago. Its worked perfectly through the winter and up till now however this morning we noted several COMMS FAULTS with sensors and all the BDR91s were showing static red LEDs whereas they always had previously been fine.

To top it off the underfloor BDR91 would not connect at all with the HCC80R which is about 15 metres away (the other BDR91's will re-establish comma when the controller is close but can't tolerate it being moved back to its normal position).

Another interesting fact is our Hormann Garage door remotes (also on 868MHz) have a significantly reduced range to the point where they cant open the garage when the door is closed - 2 remotes so not a battery issue.

So my thoughts:

1. External 868MHz interference - either a new gadget the neighbours have or maybe roll out of 4G in my area (I do hope not but what problems have oothers had)!

2. Local interference - I plan to go round turning things off tomorrow in case a fridge or something is malfunctioning.

3. A malfunctioning Evohome device messing things up - no sure where to start as all LEDs appear appropriate. Do devices emit continuous signals when faulty?

Anyone come across this before - and what was the solution. I have moved the controller next to the boiler and hot water relay in the garage for now but I want to fault-find a solution to this weird problem in the next week and certainly before autumn - and want to get my garage door working again.
    Last edited by OliB; 19 July 2015, 05:42 AM.
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

I don't think a fridge would do it. Do you have any wireless headphones or speakers? Sometimes these use 868MHz, and (unlike evohome, or other gadgets that transmit 'data') the signal will be continuous.

Are you close to a mobile base station? Particularly an O2 one, although Voda and EE do both have band 20 spectrum too. (Three doesn't).

P.

Comment

• OliB
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2015

Well - I finally got the opportunity to turn all the power in the house off except to the attached garage and then tested the 868MHz door remote and to my relief found that it worked normally!!! - at least the solution was within my control somewhere in the house!

Next I turned the heating/water back on an indeed everything linked properly with the controller in its normal position. Even the HCC80R synced painlessly with the BDR91 15 metres away.

I then slowly turned back on the rest of the house waiting a couple of minutes between each switch and watching the RF test light flashing on the BDR91's as the indicator for if the interference started again.

Weirdly, it didn't - I have now had everything turned on for an hour and have no notable interference.

So, good news -

1. Most importantly, I know the problem was within my house so have the power to fix it if a fault is identified in the future (its not some 4G signal I can't control).

2. It may be a device that is now 'off' after the power cut and we will turn it on in the future but I can identify that.

3. It may be the device just needed rebooting to get back to working normally...

Paul thanks for you comment - if I ever get a more definitive answer I will let the forum know. It was helpful that the garage door opener was similarly affected so I didn't ever go for a complete Evohome reset which would have been a pain and ultimately fruitless.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

Another thought - do you have any 12V LED lights (halogen replacements)? I've found some brands (and particularly unbranded kit) can splat out all kinds of RF interference.

I know they can kill DAB - that's nowhere near 868MHz, but harmonics might be.

One of these is useful, if you're a /real/ nerd http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/RF-...el-p-2198.html

P.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Another thought is solar panels. Some are known to create interference at certain frequencies and it would be intermittent. If your neighbour has any installed it is a thought. Also remember that many devices are noted as being in the same frequency but due to the transmission being digital there is no interference. It is just possible when you initially set up there was a rare conflict which occurred but with your progressive restart it does not occur.

Comment

• chrisgare
            Automated Home Guru
            • Dec 2013

Being a radio amateur I have had to sort out interference problems on a regular basis. If the issue is caused by interference then the most likley cause is a malfunctioning switch mode power supply like those used on laptops. The worse offenders are the 12 volt down-lighters that have one on every lamp! These create broadband noise that easily goes up to hundreds of MHz. Of course this is easy to check by turning them all off.

Interestingly, I had a similar issue last month with my 15 actuator EvoHome system - we lost control of the Internet gateway, a couple of actuators and a couple of room sensors for no particular reason. It's all settled down again now but there was no reason that I could identify. I hope it all works OK when I turn the OFF quick setting off in the autumn.

Chris

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by chrisgare View Post
              Being a radio amateur I have had to sort out interference problems on a regular basis. If the issue is caused by interference then the most likley cause is a malfunctioning switch mode power supply like those used on laptops. The worse offenders are the 12 volt down-lighters that have one on every lamp! These create broadband noise that easily goes up to hundreds of MHz. Of course this is easy to check by turning them all off.

Interestingly, I had a similar issue last month with my 15 actuator EvoHome system - we lost control of the Internet gateway, a couple of actuators and a couple of room sensors for no particular reason. It's all settled down again now but there was no reason that I could identify. I hope it all works OK when I turn the OFF quick setting off in the autumn.

Chris
              ...and I have regular noise on the 2m band! Which I think may be my neighbour's solar panels. Got rid of by using a noise blanking speaker. Fortunately no conflicts with the Evohome gear. I have a lot of LightwaveRF switches around the house and also no conflicts with Evohome.

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Do you have any DT92 wireless thermostats? any fault logs of low battery?

Please replace batteries in all DT92, your issue should disappear
                I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

Working...
                X