• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bradsalmon
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2010

Modular Faceplate Cat5e Limit

Hi all,

Been digging around the web and these forums but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Are we still limited after all these years to 4 cat5e connections in a standard double faceplate? Or basically 4 single modules.

I would like to try and fit 3 CAT5e, 1CAT6 and a Coax into a standard double faceplate but struggling at present without doing some kind of DIY job. My other solution is to leave out the CAT6 for now and use the off the shelf solutions.

Update: Just found the Nexxia option here. Any other options out there?

Thanks,

Brad
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

why 3 cat5e why don't you just use Cat 6 so you then have 4 cat6 sockets.
    Plus a quick Google brought up these results.
    Amazon UK
    Minitran
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by bradsalmon View Post
      I would like to try and fit 3 CAT5e, 1CAT6 and a Coax into a standard double faceplate...
      I'd agree with Toscal, why use both Cat5e and Cat6?
      Can you lose one of the Cat5e cables and use a network switch instead?

I've used a 2g modular faceplace and brush outlet like this behind the TV unit and ~12 cables come through it (coax, HDMI, VGA, scart, usb, etc. as well as Cat5).

(the plate screws firstly go through the faceplate, then through the brush strip and then into the back box, so the brush strip is sandwiched between)

I've crimped plugs onto the Cat5 cables but if you can also add modules into the faceplate so only part of the brush strip is visible/available - so a mixture of the two.

Do you need to use all the cables at the same time? Can you keep unused cables coiled in the back box and swap over the modules when/if you need? (I've done this too )

You could also use a 3gang back box, but would likely have to DIY the faceplate.
      (http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-3-gang-...ite-30mm/19268 and/or http://www.wickes.co.uk/MK-Metal-Bac...890RP/p/107370 )

HTH,
      Tim.

EDIT: meant also to say if you need all 4 Cat cables, maybe use a faceplate spacer:
      (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qty-1-2-Ga...-/251349463677)
      and sneak the coax cable out of an edge?
      Last edited by TimH; 31 July 2015, 11:22 AM.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• bradsalmon
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2010

Thanks Tim - didn't know about the brush option so will think about that one.

As always I'll probably end up with a combination of results for different rooms.

Thanks all for the input.
        Brad

Comment

• FlangeMonkey
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Aug 2015

I've just been working on this myself, because I have a need for multiple HDMI, multiple 3.5mm stereo, etc. You should checkout the Connec2 stuff from cie for modules, they do multiple different RJ45's that I haven't seen before. They also do a wired HDMI, which might be helpful. The Cat6 dual RJ45 modules are here and are cheaper than your link in the first post.

Regarding module faceplates and backboxes, I've found a couple of solutions and they are getting more and more available. Manufactures are calling them "Combination Plates", so searching for that might bring up some interesting options. I myself was looking at "British General" found at screwfix such as this double faceplate. However all my sockets and switches are 'Click Mode' from Scolmore and they also do some really nice combination plates all be it too expensive for me. They also do 8x module faceplates.

I ended up buying 'Click Mode' quad module faceplates and modified two deep 48mm backboxes to make one single box. I unfortunately just installed it and plastered so cannot take photos at this time. It was the cheapest and best option for me but there was an amount of effort and additional costs, such as glue and time.
          Last edited by FlangeMonkey; 3 August 2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• TimH
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2004

Some nice product links there, esp. the double RJ45 modules

Just curious on your application, is it home or work? and why the requirement for multiple HDMI on a single faceplate? Would an HDMI switcher at the head end work too?

Cheers,
            Tim.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

• FlangeMonkey
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by TimH View Post
              Some nice product links there, esp. the double RJ45 modules

Just curious on your application, is it home or work? and why the requirement for multiple HDMI on a single faceplate? Would an HDMI switcher at the head end work too?

Cheers,
              Tim.
              It's home/work and the location of my workstation in my office. I was originally planning to port all connections, including USB to a hidden location where my workstation would be, therefore I would have needed 3 or 4 HDMI cables. It was getting a little overkill so I wanted the option to expand to this if needed. At the moment I have reduced it down to two. If I decide to drop a workstation by my desk (which I'll do at first), the HDMI on the faceplate will be monitor/additional workstation and/or TV, hence two concurrent displays using HDMI.

Comment

• TimH
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2004

Cool, thanks
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

• radja
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Sep 2015

interesting thread

Comment

• electronicsuk
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Sep 2015

I would also look at the offerings from Lindy, they do some nice accessories that will fit into a euro Faceplate. I'm not sure what's available for cat6, but I managed to buy twin cat5e RJ45 outlets in a single Euro module a few years back, which would give you 8 outlets in a 2 gang plate. I ended up combing the Click Scolmore and Lindy products to make a complete AV faceplate.

407667_10150483689961353_1360645333_n.jpg

Comment

• alexstephenson
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • May 2017

I think you have to studied about the all Ethernet cables.

Ethernet cables to be best suit your requirement. From Ethernet Patch Cables, Cat5e Cat6 and Cat6a cables from 0.25 mtr up to 50 mtr, to Ethernet bulk cable boxes and reels for lengths from 100 mtr up to 500 mtr all in a vast range of colors and options you will not need to find you cable anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                      X