• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

HR92 Battery Life

Just wondering if anybody has experienced the same.

I installed Evohome last December. Since then one HR92 has gone through three lots of batteries - the controller giving me a message each time the batteries are low and need replacing. The odd thing is this HR92 is in the one room in the whole house where the valve is hardly ever activated - a spare bedroom where the temperature is set to 10C. It seems odd that the one unit that is not called on to do much is the one that drains power the most. I have replaced batteries once on three other HR92s (I have 12 in total). Apart from the initial batteries that came with the units the replacements have been Duracell Industrial batteries and all from the same stock - I bought a quantity from Amazon early in the year, they show a best before date of 2021

Any thoughts or ideas?
  • Bazinga
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

We had a similar situation in that a rarely used room was draining its batteries quicker than other rooms. This room was furthest from the controller so we moved the controller to a slightly more central location and that appeared to correct the situation. I believe that even though the HR92 isn't being used often, it still powers up its radio every 4 minutes or so to check in with the controller. If the HR92 has to turn up the broadcast strength to the maximum level to ensure a connection, then that will discharge the batteries at an elevated rate.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

That's a thought. My HR92 is not though furthest from the controller. The one furthest away has had its batteries changed once. It could I suppose be the signal path is poorer although both have similar obstructions (walls) in their path. However, radio waves are never straight forward and what seems closer may for a number of reasons not be as good a path, particularly if other electric devices could be in the way although not in my case. It could still be a possibility though that for some reason the path is not as good. A radio transmission to Australia ought to be easier going the short route (generally NE) but at times the longer route is better.

Comment

• Rameses
        Industry Expert
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
        Just wondering if anybody has experienced the same.

I installed Evohome last December. Since then one HR92 has gone through three lots of batteries - the controller giving me a message each time the batteries are low and need replacing. The odd thing is this HR92 is in the one room in the whole house where the valve is hardly ever activated - a spare bedroom where the temperature is set to 10C. It seems odd that the one unit that is not called on to do much is the one that drains power the most. I have replaced batteries once on three other HR92s (I have 12 in total). Apart from the initial batteries that came with the units the replacements have been Duracell Industrial batteries and all from the same stock - I bought a quantity from Amazon early in the year, they show a best before date of 2021

Any thoughts or ideas?
        Log a call - This would qualify for swap out.
        getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Thanks. Have logged it in.

Other than this, and it is not a major issue, the system works fine. One day it will recognise where I live to give me the right forecast - the next version of the app!

Comment

• Mavis
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Oct 2014

Just about to go out and buy some new batteries for my bathroom HR92 which has randomly sent messages to say the batteries are low. it has never gone below 2 bars though. I have put off buying new ones as wasn't sure which and where from would be best.

Also, interestingly my DT92e thermostat in the bedroom lost all power last week - I only noticed the message by chance (my bugbear is that the main controller takes the message off the screen when the system is restored so you don't necessarily know there has been a message unless you look in the fault log). I took it off the stand and put it back and it started working again. Only thing I can think of with this is that it has been knocked off the table and the battery got dislodged - when I moved it, it fell back into place)

Comment

Working...
            X