• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bazinga
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

Losing Binding with BDR91

I installed an Evohome system to our Combi boiler 11 months ago and I've been very happy with it. It's fairly straightforward - 10 x HR92s in 9 zones, and a BDR91 connected to the boiler to control the heat demand. There's also a DTS92 and a RFG100 but they're not involved in this problem. Twice in the past fortnight however, the controller has lost contact with the BDR91 resulting in no heating. To fix it, I've just followed the instructions for re-binding (hold BDR91 button for 15 seconds to clear everything, then 5 seconds to put in to Binding mode and then initiate binding on the controller. Wait for success signal and then go make a cup of tea.)

The BDR91 is installed about 40 cm above the top of the boiler cabinet and about 10 cm to the right. I feel that it should be far away that the boiler so as to comply with the installation instructions. The controller is located in the next room, about 2 metres away through a brick wall.

What is confusing is the lack of information regarding the loss of contact with the BDR91. Looking at the fault log on the controller, there is nothing reported. It does log a loss of connection with an HR92, but not apparently for a loss of communication with the BDR91. On the first occasion, the red LED on the BDR91 was flashing. On the second occasion however there was nothing. No LED illuminated on the BDR91 and nothing in the controller fault log. There was a clear need for a heat demand - one zone was set to 18C but the room had dropped to 13C. On this second occasion I concluded that despite the lack of a flashing red LED on the BDR91, this was still the likely problem. Once I rebound the BDR91, the boiler fired up immediately.

So does this represent a fault with my BDR91, or my installation? Rebinding the BDR91 does fix it, but I don't want this to be a regular event especially if it occurs during the night. Waking up to a cold apartment does not endear the system to SWMBO. I was also under the impression that when losing connection, the BDR91 will go in a cycling mode (e.g. 25% / 75% to maintain some heating). Is this automatic or only when briefly pressing the binding button on the front of the BDR91?
  • erik
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2015

what does the system return when you do a signal test with the BDR91?

Comment

• Bazinga
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2015

The Controller says "Excellent" and the BDR91 flashes the red LED five times.

Comment

• erik
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2015

Weird. I Can't help you. Let's hope someone else can

Comment

Working...
        X