X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IM35461
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2012

My new Wi-Fi Evohome also seems to keep the boiler running for one minute sessions every so often for about 30 mins after all the HR92's are set to 10c, then the system seems to stop till the morning.

Checking all the LCD on the HR92 say 10c

Failsafe is off, Optimum Stop / Start is off.

Is this part of the new design just in case heating is called for or should I try and reset everything and try again?

Many thanks.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

What you describe is not normal behaviour, no.

Difficult to tell for sure but it sounds like an intermittent communication problem between one of your HR92's and the controller causing a zero heat demand message from the HR92 to not be received when the set point is dropped.

So when you schedule all your zones to 10 degrees the controller still thinks one HR92 is calling for a small amount of heat. If the controller doesn't receive any heat demand updates from an HR92 for 30 minutes it will assume the demand is zero. That's why 30 minutes after the demand should have stopped (but didn't due to a lost message) the demand does finally stop, due to this timeout.

Troubleshooting the problem with anything other than trial and error could prove tricky though as the system does not really give any information that would help to identify which zone was responsible, for example there is no per zone heat demand indicated on the controller to indicate which zone it thought was still demanding heat.

A visual display on the controller of heat demand from each zone is probably the most asked for feature from forum members, and would help a great deal in diagnosing these sorts of problems, but such a feature doesn't seem to be forthcoming.
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 28 March 2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Rameses
        Industry Expert
        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        A visual display on the controller of heat demand from each zone is probably the most asked for feature from forum members, and would help a great deal in diagnosing these sorts of problems, but such a feature doesn't seem to be forthcoming.
        IM35461 - I agree with DBM - sounds like a rogue device asking for heat aligned with another 'zone' or instance. Log a call with tech support - they can put your system into monitor - and yes we can see heat demands. This is not available to the public (yet)

livingroom2.jpg
        getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• IM35461
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
          IM35461 - I agree with DBM - sounds like a rogue device asking for heat aligned with another 'zone' or instance. Log a call with tech support - they can put your system into monitor - and yes we can see heat demands. This is not available to the public (yet)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]996[/ATTACH]
          Cool

If it does it again I shall do that.

What I have done as a test rather than a complete reset is to delete Zone 1, (Living Room), unbound the two HR92's and then recreated it making sure that I wait for the LCD's to stop saying "SYNC" before touching the green tick.

I then reordered the zones to make the Living Room display first and modified the zone schedule / days.

Of course, it has now got warmer so the system is hardly on so I can't really tell if that did the trick.

Thanks also to DBMandrake and it looks like a monitor feature may be on the horizon...

Comment

• Rameses
            Industry Expert
            • Nov 2014

You should have (to be sure ) really wiped the HR92 as well. Performing their hard reset. Otherwise they could be trying to address the old zone.
            getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

Oooh!

Can you say if that will be available through a web interface (looks like it from your screen shot) or via the API, or controller itself ? Even if it is initially only just available through a web interface (and hopefully the API, since the API already seems to have a heat demand value that is currently unpopulated) that is a big step up on the current situation, which is unless you have an HGI80 with Domoticz, (out of reach of most people) no heat demand information is available to troubleshoot problems.

Comment

• IM35461
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Jan 2012

My one is still doing it

I have logged a support call

Boiler Running After Heating Should Be Off Case Number 14758569

Comment

• IM35461
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by IM35461 View Post
                  My one is still doing it

I have logged a support call

Boiler Running After Heating Should Be Off Case Number 14758569
                  Time for an update....

Well the heating still comes on when it should be off, seems to run the boiler for 2 minute sessions.

Nothing yet from Honeywell support

Comment

• IM35461
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Jan 2012

I got a reply today from Honeywell but not really the answer to my question...

Hi,

I am contacting you regarding the issue that you are having with the evohome system.

We looked at the data gathered from your system and some of the zones are overshooting (some not).The system is still new (6 days) so the system is still learning the initial room characteristics. We also saw that some of the heat demand periods are very short so the system will take a long time to adapt.

Adrian Georgescu
                    Tier 2 Technical Support Engineer
                    I guess 6 days ago was when I tried to fix the issue and I was going to raise the overshooting in another post, in the morning the bedrooms are either cold or like an oven (well +1.5c, according to app than the set room temperature).

Comment

• IM35461
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Jan 2012

Now with the new firmware I noted the boiler was running 20mins after all zones were set to 7c

So got out of bed and checked evohome screen.
                      It said kitchen zone 7% and boiler 7% with screen showing 7c and HR92 also displaying 7c

So where does the demand come from?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

The Kitchen...

You don't say whether 7c is the set point, measured temperature or both. I'm going to assume it is only the set point, if so what was the current measured temperature ? You also don't say if you have one or multiple HR92's in the Kitchen zone. I'll assume one.

If it happens again go into the menu on the HR92 and change option 10 to 1, then note down what the valve position is. Refer to my graph here:

A heat demand of 7% implies a valve position of about 43%, so if you find the valve position is actually 0 (fully closed - which it should be if the set point is more than 2 degrees below the measured temperature) then the problem is either a lost comms message from the HR92 to the controller, or the HR92 is misbehaving and not sending heat updates properly.

I've had the latter happen to me on occasions - where the HR92 otherwise works normally and the signal is strong but it doesn't seem to send heat demand updates to the controller properly - they get "stuck" permanently on a previous value. I've had this problem even mean that I turn the HR92 up and it opens the valve but won't fire the boiler... (as the heat demand is still stuck at 0)

For this problem the solution for me was to remove the batteries from the affected HR92's to reboot them.

If the cause is a lost comms message then the heat demand will eventually right itself and the boiler will go off (after maybe 30 minutes) as the HR92 will send another heat update, but it may keep happening from time to time if there is intermittent comms.

So my suggestion would be to remove and refit the batteries in all HR92's in the affected zone, (while you're there make sure the connection is good, battery contacts are a weak point in the HR92) and see if it happens again. If it does, note down the heat demand at the controller and the valve pin position reported by the HR92 and let us know.

Comment

• IM35461
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Jan 2012

Many thanks for the tips and all your assumptions were correct.

The Kitchen rad was quite cool so I think the valve was shut plus my poor boiler makes a different noise when all the HR92's are shut (I guess the bypass valve or just the pump feeling unhappy).

Thus started with the easy option of removing the AA's for a while.

I shall see what it does tonight...

Comment

Working...
                          X