X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

In my experience it is always possible to solve range issues by moving devices. There are no possibilities for factory supported range extenders.
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

In the world of Z-Wave and Zigbee, you'll usually find that devices with permanent power (i.e. not battery powered) will act as repeaters. Even if they aren't currently part of the network.

It's a shame that BDR91s don't act the same way.

P.

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
        In the world of Z-Wave and Zigbee, you'll usually find that devices with permanent power (i.e. not battery powered) will act as repeaters. Even if they aren't currently part of the network.

It's a shame that BDR91s don't act the same way.

P.
        Rameses is a closed protocol, point to point 2 way, sensor or actuator device to controller hence why repeaters not available.
        I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

But without ACKs and NAKs (as far as I can tell), which makes repeaters a possibility.

Anyway, my HGI80 experiments continue...

P.

Comment

• Cchris
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
            In my experience it is always possible to solve range issues by moving devices. There are no possibilities for factory supported range extenders.
            Unfortunately when the boiler control is at one end of the house, and a radiator at the other, with a few solid or cavity walls in between, sometimes it just isn't possible.

Mine works 'most' of the time, but there are a couple of areas that just won't behave. I can see the only solution at present being another (third) controller to deal with part of the upstairs.

Comment

• Kevin
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by top brake View Post
              It is a very long three floor 18th century property with solid internal walls of over 1m thickness and ceiling space filled with stone/rubble. My onsite assessment and range test by an EvoHome 'Expert' or whatever the elite tier of authorised installers are called indicated I would probably need four controllers (maybe three). This is due to RF range and not due to the number of zones required. Whilst this is not out of the question from a cost perspective the lack of system functionality in not being able to merge/control zones across controllers makes the usage of such a system from the controllers messy. Range extenders would be most helpful or alternatively selecting which zones are visible on which controllers, with the controllers communicating via IP with each other. The latter could be achieved by just firmware enhancements.

If you can get a system working on one or two controllers then I'm happy to purchase a system today. In the meantime I'm hoping Paul's project might provide something workable.

Comment

• emmeesse68
                Automated Home Guru
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Cchris View Post
                Unfortunately when the boiler control is at one end of the house, and a radiator at the other, with a few solid or cavity walls in between, sometimes it just isn't possible.

Mine works 'most' of the time, but there are a couple of areas that just won't behave. I can see the only solution at present being another (third) controller to deal with part of the upstairs.
                My situation is not much different. And another point is: I (customer) wouldn't like to have the controller to be placed in a hallway where it's in RF range but out of human reachability. And since my controller is in my dining room, where it acts as a temp sensor as well, if I wanted it moved elsewhere I'd need to replace it with another temperature sensor (DT92 or Y87, = €$£).

Comment

• emmeesse68
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Dec 2014

Hi all,

Since I sometimes still get communication errors between controller and the farthest of my HR92 driven zones, I googled "evohome range extender" and found an UK online store that sells a
                  "Honeywell HR92UK with signal boost kit". I'm not posting links here, anyway it shows a HR92 with the little window on the side removed (it exposes a sort of microUSB socket) and a cable plugged in. Kit description talks of a "plug in signal booster antenna".

As far as I knew, that socket should be for a window sensor switch (HCA30) and/or a remote temperature sensor (RF20) connected by means of a specific cable (ACS90)... is it possible that the ACS90 lead could act as an antenna as well? Or maybe the HR92 needs to be modified too?

Thanks!
                  Last edited by emmeesse68; 22 November 2017, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

May be any cable plugged in there becomes an antenna. If no modification has been done then perhaps it is wrong to describe it as a “boost kit” and it is no more than an external antenna. Interesting though and useful if it works.

Comment

• Rameses
                      Industry Expert
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Cchris View Post

Its not the boiler that needs to be reached, its whatever BDR is controlling it. Is there a position where the controller (eveohome unit) can see all the radiators it needs? (forgetting the boiler firing for a moment) - if so then this is your sweet spot. From there you then need to introduce the BDR which controls the boilers (either director or the zone valve BDR which then switches boiler, fig 4) - sometimes its easier to put the BDR closer - for example an electrician re purposed some of the original wiring when an evohome system in and did just that.
                      getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Rameses
                        Industry Expert
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                        It is a very long three floor 18th century property with solid internal walls of over 1m thickness and ceiling space filled with stone/rubble. My onsite assessment and range test by an EvoHome 'Expert' or whatever the elite tier of authorised installers are called indicated I would probably need four controllers (maybe three). This is due to RF range and not due to the number of zones required. Whilst this is not out of the question from a cost perspective the lack of system functionality in not being able to merge/control zones across controllers makes the usage of such a system from the controllers messy. Range extenders would be most helpful or alternatively selecting which zones are visible on which controllers, with the controllers communicating via IP with each other. The latter could be achieved by just firmware enhancements.

If you can get a system working on one or two controllers then I'm happy to purchase a system today. In the meantime I'm hoping Paul's project might provide something workable.
                        I am intrigued by this - please can you DM me who this 'expert' was.
                        getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• emmeesse68
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                          May be any cable plugged in there becomes an antenna. If no modification has been done then perhaps it is wrong to describe it as a “boost kit” and it is no more than an external antenna. Interesting though and useful if it works.
                          More than willing to try and plug a micro-USB cable into my HR92 to see if RF communication is affected in any way...! I guess I could use any cable, e.g. the one I use to connect my telephone to my PC...

Just, before snapping off the little cover... I did not try before... does anybody know if the little plastic bit can be fitted back in place afterwards? Should I be careful taking it off?

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by emmeesse68 View Post
                            UK online store that sells a
                            "Honeywell HR92UK with signal boost kit".
                            Just googled it. Looks like they are simply plugging a 1m microUSB lead into the socket.

Maybe someone with range/reception issues could try and see if it really works?

Comment

• dty
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Aug 2016

So £74 extra for a micro USB cable and two lithium batteries? Hmmm...

Comment

• paulockenden
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Apr 2015

It's called "adding value" ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X