• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guicane
    • Mar 2024

Replacing Evohome with Nest - Help with wiring

Hi all,

You may remember me from the post where I couldn't get the Honeywell Evohome to connect to wifi and support it being pretty useless so I got quite upset with the brand in general and went for the next nice looking one, the Nest 3rd gen ( I know the Evohome has extra functionality because of the valves and stuff but I have had a dumb evohome for a month or so and am ok with it ).

I have a question which is probably incredibly simple but I'd like to check before going ahead.

I need to remove the Honeywell Boiler Relay and replace it with the Nest Heat Link. Neutral and Live are ok as those are named the same but the other 2 wires going into the relay go into A and B but the Nest relay uses numbers instead of letters. One would assume that would be number 1 and 2 but I don't want to risk.

Here's a picture to illustrate.

nestlink.jpg

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Just in case someone refers to this thread in the future.

A goes in 2
    B goes in 3

Comment

• MichaelD
      Automated Home Guru
      • Mar 2006

I understand you've had problems with EvoHome, but Nest always looks like the heating equivalent of a single lighting switch for your home, you want all the lights on, or all the lights off? Except of course, that Nest turns the whole house heating on, or off.

Its certainly pretty, but very primitive.

Control at a room level is essential for me.

Comment

• SplanK
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jul 2016

For referenc on the Honeywell boiler relay,

A is switch feed 'in'. This could be 230v feed or from a specific 0v/12v feed from boiler.

B is switch feed 'out', or signal wire which tells the boiler to turn on.

Comment

• SplanK
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jul 2016

Also, you don't need to have WiFi turned on with the Honeywell unit to use it and pair it to trv's.

I do see that the controller is right next to the boiler rather than the recommended 30cm away which could give you issues.... If the problem was with the boiler relay not triggering, it couldbe that and you may have the same issue with your new unit

Comment

Working...
          X