• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
    I have not seen any of the symptoms described here however I checked the battery contacts on mine (the unit is 6 months old) and see exactly the same corrosion of the spring contact and what looks like battery venting: (On the bottom battery in the picture, which was the one against the spring)
    I got a job as an apprentice toolmaker when I left school and I used to make machine tooling for small spring machines and my best guess is that the discolouration is from the coiling process or the tempering process that follows coiling. Maybe some of these springs have missed the cleaning process?

I am not saying the OP issues were not real (and I agree the positive battery terminal isn't brilliantly designed), however when the evohome Controller is docked, I don't see how the batteries would play any part in power loss or comms issues with the relay boxes (I have had an evohome Controller on a dock without any batteries for several days without any issues). I suspect if the OP's evohome Controller was dock mounted, that the power supply plug wasn't pushed into the terminal at the back of the charge stand correctly and therefore evohome was not powered correctly and the batteries were not charging properly - this would also cause the occasional power loss.

The original photos show comms faults on the BDR91's and my best guess is that these were not bound correctly originally or they were too close to each other. The OP confirmed the BDR91's 'might' be too close to each other and then didn't provide pictures of the installation when asked for by Top Brake.

By powering down and 'rebooting' the evohome Controller, any 'remembered' faults or glitches were wiped from the evohome Controller (the fault log remains intact now so would still show) and the fact the batteries were removed and replaced with fully charged items would have eliminated some of the issues some people have with batteries not coming fully charged from the factory, which is shown up more when people don't push the lead into the back of the charge dock correctly. There is a way to charge these properly and obtain battery memory - see one of my last posts on the trade-in post.

In any case the issues seem to have been resolved (we will never know if the issues were the batteries or if just rebooting the device solved the issues) and Top Brake has fed the OP's findings back to the factory. Hopefully they will make improvements to the positive battery terminal design, not that I have had any issues myself in the first place.

Comment

Working...
    X