• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Winter
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2007

Recommended video capture cards?

Hello folks

I've just discovered that my ivc200 does not have any drivers compatible with win7 x64. This is inconvenient as my new cortex PC is running this OS. I'm pretty sure that decent x64 drivers are not available for these bt878 based capture cards so now I'm looking for a replacement. Has anyone else done 4 channel capture on x64 win7? If so, with how much success and with what cards?

Cheers
    --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

good question - we, too ...

one thought was maybe to use stand-alone converters, analogue to IP - lots to choose from, it seems, various prices, but no idea how to choose one, reliably !

an obvious answer, would be to buy new IP cameras - technology has moved on, so would probably be better cameras, too ... only, two of ours are in AUIs, so can't be substituted ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 26 March 2016, 07:41 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

I have tried e-mailing IEI to see if they do have any such drivers. About a year ago they sent me some W7 32 bit ones but that's as far as I got. Another possible capture card might be the Geovision one but we haven't tried it. Some other not so nice options are USB convertors but my experience with these has generally been less than favourable. I have also once seen an IP digitiser but at the time was quite expensive. Some standalone security camera systems may in effect perform this function but whether you will then be able to access the streams from Cortex I don't know.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

this is all very strange, such a simple requirement, and yet - until we tried, we couldn't imagine this would be impossible, but, it seems it is !
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• John Winter
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Dec 2007

I've ordered an IEI PCIe IVCE-C604 card, which has 64bit drivers. I'll report on progress once I have it. I looked at the Geovision cards and they seemed quite expensive. I think the real issue is (and I have mentioned this before) that most IP cameras nowadays encode streams using H.264 instead of MJPEG, and unfortunately Cortex can't handle the former. If it could, I'd go out and buy some nice shiny new HD IP cameras...
          --------------------------

www.nodeone.blogspot.com

Comment

• M.Harrison
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • May 2016

John - did you get the c604 card ? As it's been a little while I was wondering if you did get it if you are able to give any info on it's suitability ?

Comment

Working...
            X