• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misanty
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2007

Evohome & Under Floor Heating

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a repeat question - I have had a look and can't quite find the answer to the question I have.

I currently have Evohome v3 controller, Boiler Relay, Hot Water Control and 10 active zones using HR92's.

Boiler is a Valliant heat only 438, hot water is in unvented indirect cylinder, system is(was) S plan although I have manually opened the heating zone and use the relay for boiler control instead of the heating zone valve (after a bit of fettling with binding to change behaviour and a little rewiring). This was done as previously I had no control over the boiler burn duration and given the time it takes to open the value for relatively short burn periods it seemed inefficient. Additionally, pump overrun effectively just ran water through the bypass and latent heat was lost.

I want to add UFH to an extension (~50m2 floor area) being built right now and I have a few questions:

1. Any issues with the manually opened and over-ridden zone valve? Should I take it out, revert to the previous heating rather than boiler demand configuration?

2. I have a second (as of yet) unused and capped off heating zone, should this be used for the UFH or can I use a feed from a previously disconnected radiator which was heating a room which now forms part of the new extension (15mm copper)?

3. In terms on controller, as this is a single zone but will likely need 2 or 3 UFH loops, should I use the little talked about HM80 or HCC80R to control the UFH pump?

4. As these 3 loops are in a single zone, do I need actuators or should I just have my plumber manually balance the flow to the loops?

5. Any issues using something like this for the pump / mixing valve: http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore...ing-valve-unit

6. Any thoughts on the PolyPipe UFH system.

Before all these questions ring any/too many alarm bells, it's worth mentioning I'm not doing this by myself - I have a plumbing coming to do the work but would like to have an understanding of what is going on and as he is unfamiliar with Evohome need to make sure I get the right stuff for him.

Thanks,

Matt
  • misanty
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2007

Bump - Any thoughts?

Originally posted by misanty View Post
    Hi All,

Apologies if this is a repeat question - I have had a look and can't quite find the answer to the question I have.

I currently have Evohome v3 controller, Boiler Relay, Hot Water Control and 10 active zones using HR92's.

Boiler is a Valliant heat only 438, hot water is in unvented indirect cylinder, system is(was) S plan although I have manually opened the heating zone and use the relay for boiler control instead of the heating zone valve (after a bit of fettling with binding to change behaviour and a little rewiring). This was done as previously I had no control over the boiler burn duration and given the time it takes to open the value for relatively short burn periods it seemed inefficient. Additionally, pump overrun effectively just ran water through the bypass and latent heat was lost.

I want to add UFH to an extension (~50m2 floor area) being built right now and I have a few questions:

1. Any issues with the manually opened and over-ridden zone valve? Should I take it out, revert to the previous heating rather than boiler demand configuration?

2. I have a second (as of yet) unused and capped off heating zone, should this be used for the UFH or can I use a feed from a previously disconnected radiator which was heating a room which now forms part of the new extension (15mm copper)?

3. In terms on controller, as this is a single zone but will likely need 2 or 3 UFH loops, should I use the little talked about HM80 or HCC80R to control the UFH pump?

4. As these 3 loops are in a single zone, do I need actuators or should I just have my plumber manually balance the flow to the loops?

5. Any issues using something like this for the pump / mixing valve: http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore...ing-valve-unit

6. Any thoughts on the PolyPipe UFH system.

Before all these questions ring any/too many alarm bells, it's worth mentioning I'm not doing this by myself - I have a plumbing coming to do the work but would like to have an understanding of what is going on and as he is unfamiliar with Evohome need to make sure I get the right stuff for him.

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

Working...
    X