• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Exterior Lighting Project

It has been a while since my last major project so I am getting bored.

Soo, I would like to put some lighting along the back of my bungalow (pictures attached) and need some suggestions based on my wishlist.

IMG_0098.jpgIMG_0099.jpg

My wishes are:
    Coloured lighting (so I can change it if I want) - can be any style (soffit, strip, etc)
    Have a manual switch
    Be able to set them on a timer

My existing kit is LWRF and Samsung SmartThings but if there is a different solution then I am open to that so long as it is not too expensive.

I will be getting me very patient, friendly electrician to do the work so wiring will not be an issue (there is already a motion sensor light that he wired in).
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

There are a variety of solutions, but it is difficult to tell just from photos what would be best.
    You can have colour change strips or flood lights or bulbs. Some can be wifi enabled so controllable from your smart phone.
    You should in theory be able to connect any of them to a timer.
    If you need more info let me know.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Mavis
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Oct 2014

Thanks toscal. Ideally I want to be able to link into my existing Smarthome setup so come on at dusk with whatever colour I fancy and go off at a set time.

I have had a deeper look at LWRF and (I think), working backwards, I can have a wireless on/off switch (JSJSLW826) paired with an inline relay (JSJSLW821).

Then I can't decide whether to go for a RGB strip or whether to go for recessed spots?

If I was going for the spots , should I be looking for complete kits (light-fitting, bulbs, RGB controller) or do I buy the bulbs separate, in which case what should I be looking for?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Recessed spots would need to be waterproof or designed for exterior usage. Waterproof strips would be better in my opinion and also go for 24V rather than 12V versions. This is because you get less of a volt drop over longer cable runs. Also you should connect up both ends rather than just one. This further prevents any visible volt drop over runs of more than 10m. You may also need an RGB amplifier .
        If you need any products we might be able to help.
        Water proof strips come in several flavours. Silicon tubed strips, epoxy coated and for super waterproof you get epoxy coated inside a silicon tube. From experience Silicon is probably the way to go, easy to work with. Fixing it causes a few headaches, but have found clear silicon sealant works well. Try and get one that has a quick drying time otherwise you will need to tape it up for a while. Have used Titan double sided tape which is excellent (and easier to use), but its fairly rubbish to get to stick sometimes in very cold weather.
        Need more advice let me know.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

we've used LED tape under our canopy - it's IP65 rated and, being under the canopy, pretty well protected anyway, at least from rain - they'll still feel the cold ... and, over time, we've found individual elements go down & then out - we quite like the random intervals that have resulted but, three years on, we're down to less than a quarter of them still working ... no idea if the problem is the strip or the driver (indoors, of course) ...

NB: similar LED tape we've used indoors is still fine ...
          Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 13 October 2016, 08:25 PM.
          Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Mavis
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Oct 2014

I have now got it done. I went for both spots and LED strip.

The strip is : 2 x 5m RGBW LED Strip SMD5050 LEDs ,IP67 Protection
            and is on the edge of the soffit (the gubbins are in the loft). The strip is in a silicone casing.

And the spots are: 5 x Inceptor Micro 7W LED Downlights

Wired into a LightwaveRF 3 way control relay in the loft. I then have a LighwaveRF two gang Weatherproof Switch (the switch itself only) in the kitchen to manually turn them on and off.

I was going to buy another outdoor switch and put it on the side of the house but the price of them has strangely increased by nearly 300% - I paid £12 in August and I have just looked and they are now £30.... and as I am typing this I am thinking instead to do a geofencing recipe via IFTTT for late night returns.

Comment

• MichaelD
              Automated Home Guru
              • Mar 2006

How is IFTTT geofencing working for you? I tried it with about a half mile radius, to switch on the heating when we were getting home, and found that our route away from home actually meanders back within half a mile, so when we left the house it switched on the heating. Really not what we wanted!

Then I'd find it would do some sort of catch up and trigger the recipe multiple times when I hadn't left the house.

That was about a year ago, maybe things have improved, or it was just something about our setup?

Comment

• Mavis
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
                How is IFTTT geofencing working for you? I tried it with about a half mile radius, to switch on the heating when we were getting home, and found that our route away from home actually meanders back within half a mile, so when we left the house it switched on the heating. Really not what we wanted!

Then I'd find it would do some sort of catch up and trigger the recipe multiple times when I hadn't left the house.

That was about a year ago, maybe things have improved, or it was just something about our setup?
                I haven't used it recently but it used to work well with my Evohome last year. The trick is to get the geofence area just right. I had to fiddle with it quite a lot as there is a main road next to our estate which I use to go between places which used to trigger when I didn't want to. There are three of us in the house so I only used it when hubby was away.

I have had mixed results with IFTTT. I love the concept although it is quite restrictive - it would be better if you could have multiple conditions.

Some of the 'fun' recipes I can't get to work properly eg the Space Station passing over doesn't appear to be accurate. And I have the ESPN one set up to flash a Hue light when Juve scores and the final score but that doesn't work properly.

This morning I have tried to set up a recipe for my outside lights to come on when someone arrives then switch off after 20 minutes which I can do but what I can't do is for it only to happen when it is dark.

Comment

Working...
                X