X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FullBore
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2016

I'm a layman, and not well versed in these things, but it seems to me that a dedicated repeater for the evoHome RF protocol on 868Mhz would, in all probability, solve a number of problems.

Clearly it would be best if Honeywell were to produce its own RF protocol 868Mhz repeater.

Failing this there are third party 868Mhz repeaters available, has anyone had any success with them?

FB

Comment

• rotor
      Automated Home Guru
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
      For 15 months, I had no issues with the old controller. The wifi model is wall-mounted in exactly the same place as the old controller was and it is now reporting HW comms sensor issues. I have given Evohome tech copies of the fault log, MAC details etc and the matter has been escalated. I await a response with particular reference to what happens if the sensor fails during an ON period when the water is heating? Hopefully, the default position is that the HW BDR 91 shuts off HW heating until sensor information is again available (i.e.; a fail safe design).
      I too have these Hot Water sensor comms errors popping up and blocking the whole screen. Was meaning to ask if this was acknowledged to be a battery problem, but now it seems there could be a bug if several people are getting this? Or could it be we all purchased our EvoHome systems around the same time and it's time for new batteries?

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

Batteries changed a couple of months ago so that isn't the problem in my case.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

Batteries are definitely not the issue because mine are fresh and checked and fully charged.
          The big error message disappears when it reconnects.

Also my system drops a connection to the HW sensor as well as the CH/HW actuators. But the most common is the HW sensor.

All other comms is fine to both the HR80s and the OpenTherm module.

Comment

• rotor
            Automated Home Guru
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
            Batteries are definitely not the issue because mine are fresh and checked and fully charged.
            The big error message disappears when it reconnects.

Also my system drops a connection to the HW sensor as well as the CH/HW actuators. But the most common is the HW sensor.

All other comms is fine to both the HR80s and the OpenTherm module.
            So far, I've only had the HW Sensor errors, and only (that I've noticed) in the past few weeks. Frustrating if this some weird bug!?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

I find it frustrating that the error messages are not sent to the App. And also there is no sign on the main control that there are faults in the log. If you are lucky enough to look at the controller during the error the great.

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

Just to remind you guys that I have reported this issue to Honeywell. I am sure that it would help Honeywell get to the root of the problem if others with this particular issue would do the same.
                Last edited by HenGus; 7 September 2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• roydonaldson
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                  Just to remind you guys that I have reported this issue to Honeywell. I am sure that it would help Honeywell get to the root of the problem if others with this particular issue would do the same.
                  What did you need to do to report it ?

Comment

• HenGus
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                    What did you need to do to report it ?
                    I just sent them a copy of my fault log; details of my system, and my MAC and CRC codes.

I also mentioned that the faults started after installing the new wifi controller - pointing out that for the previous 18 months, I had no HW sensor faults. In an attempt to rule out any configuration issues, I had changed the CS92A transceiver batteries; deleted the zone; cleared all bindings and re-built the zone.

consumersupport@honeywelluk.com

Comment

• toscal
                      • Oct 2005

Just an idea.
                      If its wifi what channels are you using. Does it always disconnect after a similar amount of time. If you are on auto then every time your router changes channel then anything connected to it will disconnect and then have to reconnect.
                      Try setting your router to a fixed channel. Also some channels work better than others. I use an app called Wifi Analyzer for my Android phone.
                      If the fixed channel doesn't work then use the Wifi Analyzer on channel graph and see what other wifi signals could be interfering.
                      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• HenGus
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                        Just an idea.
                        If its wifi what channels are you using. Does it always disconnect after a similar amount of time. If you are on auto then every time your router changes channel then anything connected to it will disconnect and then have to reconnect.
                        Try setting your router to a fixed channel. Also some channels work better than others. I use an app called Wifi Analyzer for my Android phone.
                        If the fixed channel doesn't work then use the Wifi Analyzer on channel graph and see what other wifi signals could be interfering.
                        Evohome only uses home wifi (2.4GHz band) to connect to the Honeywell server for remote access. The controller connects to its various components using the 868 MHz band.

The occasional e-mail from the server may well be down to an auto-channel changing router issue. Loss of comms faults with components are more likely due to a componentcontroller issue, interference or double binding

Comment

• toscal
                          • Oct 2005

Ok understand now.
                          868MHz is used for wireless burglar alarms, older type cordless phones, wireless head phones, remote control cranes you see on lorries etc. So it could be interference from one of these.

Isn't one of the GSM frequencies near 868Mhz.
                          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

I've got all those things you mentioned there. But the connection drops only started when I switched over the wifi control panel. Could the wifi control panel have changed the operating freq due to it having wifi also now on board and thus pushes it closer to other operating freq? I wonder.

Comment

• HenGus
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • May 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                              I've got all those things you mentioned there. But the connection drops only started when I switched over the wifi control panel. Could the wifi control panel have changed the operating freq due to it having wifi also now on board and thus pushes it closer to other operating freq? I wonder.
                              I agree that the Version 3 wifi controller seems to be the key to finding a solution to what is an annoying problem. In my case, I have never had a sensor comms loss when the HW was in an 'ON' time period.

It is also worth remembering that a large number of the UK's SMETS2-compliant smart meters will be dual band and some may have to use 868 if connectivity is an issue. I am not sure how this all gels together. My experience of Sonos and Sky Q nets in the 2.4 band is that they will all work happily together PROVIDED the router isn't allowed to auto channel change.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jul 2014

I too havent had the connection to the HW sensor drop within an ON period. But having said that I've had no ON periods for over 4 months now while the sun has been shinning and my solar router doing its trick and providing us free hot water. Just this week I added a one hour top up schedule to the HW in the evening. So will keep an eye on things.

Comment

Working...
                                X