• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestone
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2016

Loxone Future proofing - Star Wiring

Hi All,

I'm currently considering a complete Loxone home automation solution which requires a star wiring topology. I'm told star wiring is the most future proof way of wiring a house as you can access both ends of the cable so it is possible to re purpose the cable in the future should I require.

Here's my concern that I need help with. How industry standard is star wiring? What are the alternatives if I implement a star wiring topology and then in 2 years time Loxone products are no longer available/supported (something like when google bought Revolv and then discontinued the product). Will I be left in the dark and need to rewire the entire house just to turn on the lights?

Regards,
    Andy
  • MichaelD
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2006

Depends where you are, in the UK star wiring is very unusual, we use one or more ring mains in homes, elsewhere, its quite normal

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Loxone in my opinion is one of the best systems around. I have installed Loxone for a couple of clients, and they are always bringing out new items and extending the range.
      As regards to the wiring, if you are talking about the lighting you could use the Loxone nano air modules ( they also do a dimmer version now as well) and a more conventional wiring set up. With either the miniserver and Loxone air extension or the Loxone Go which has the Loxone air built in. The Nano air modules sit behind your switches. You just need a neutral and live connection to the module.
      Star wiring wouldn't be a problem for the future as most Automation systems will need this type of wiring topology.
      Remember that the relay outputs from the miniserver are only 5A, so you may need to go through an external relay, you can also get 5A circuit breakers which would protect the loxone relay outputs further.
      Any other questions just ask.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

Star wiring is a useful methodology for many home automation systems - it's nothing specific to Loxone so should you wish to move to another system that has distibution box mounted relays/dimmers it would be re-used there too. However it's not needed for the radio based systems like Z-Wave / Zigbee as they are designed for retrofit. If you are able to influence your wiring and don't go as far as star wiring then ensuring you have a neutral wire available at switches which provides for greater flexibility later.

Star wiring is not really used for switched socket 13A sockets - these normally remain on a ring main circuit and are more usually locally switched often using a wireless technology. Specific loads could be star wired - for example heaters. Although you can have star wired sockets attached to relays they are typically terminated in 2A or 3A sockets and used for switched lighting.

I too am a general fan of Loxone - although there are limitations with their lighting control. They do not have a programmable ramp rate for dimming. You can preset ramp rates on their dimmer but not change them. The same seems to be true even with their DMX implementation. A disappointing restriction ... although maybe I'm just spoilt with C-Bus.

S
        Last edited by Kevin; 27 August 2016, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X