Thread: Evohome override in multi room zone

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Evohome override in multi room zone

We have one zone which is actually three rooms, a downstairs wc, utility and small hall connecting the two. One radiator in each.

Previously this was just set as a single room with three rads. Primary HR92 was the one in the hall, theory being if that area is up to temp then the other two will be.

We were previously able to override the temperature in the utility room to say 24 degrees and it would alter the temp of the other radiators (expected) and also revert back to the setpoint 5 degrees at midnight (so any manual override would be cancelled at midnight if we forgot to turn it back down manually)

I have now changed this to a multi room zone in an effort to be a bit more efficient.

However now if the radiator in the utility is manually changed to say 24, while I see the expected behaviour of the other two radiators not changing, it also does not revert back to 5 degrees at midnight. The manual override stops on indefinitely.

Is this normal that a manual override in a multi room zone does not get overriden by a schedule? Is there any workaround or setting to prevent this?

Many thanks for any help.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cchris View Post
    We have one zone which is actually three rooms, a downstairs wc, utility and small hall connecting the two. One radiator in each.

Previously this was just set as a single room with three rads. Primary HR92 was the one in the hall, theory being if that area is up to temp then the other two will be.

We were previously able to override the temperature in the utility room to say 24 degrees and it would alter the temp of the other radiators (expected) and also revert back to the setpoint 5 degrees at midnight (so any manual override would be cancelled at midnight if we forgot to turn it back down manually)

I have now changed this to a multi room zone in an effort to be a bit more efficient.

However now if the radiator in the utility is manually changed to say 24, while I see the expected behaviour of the other two radiators not changing, it also does not revert back to 5 degrees at midnight. The manual override stops on indefinitely.

Is this normal that a manual override in a multi room zone does not get overriden by a schedule? Is there any workaround or setting to prevent this?

Many thanks for any help.
    I would say that this is normal, if unfortunate behaviour.

Back before the firmware update that added "local override display" on the Evotouch Wi-Fi model, if you had multiple set points of the same temperature, such as 5 degrees at 8pm followed by another 5 degrees at midnight, and you manually adjusted an HR92 to some other temperature at 9pm, the midnight set point would not reset the HR92 to 5 degrees.

The reason was that the Evotouch was unaware of the local override made on the HR92, and also does not send a set point update if the new set point (5 degrees at midnight) is the same temperature as the previously sent set point. (5 degrees at 8pm)

The firmware update that added local override display partially fixed this issue, for single room zones - because the controller is now aware of local overrides, (and treats it as a timed override) a manual change made at 9pm would result in another set point change to 5 degrees being sent at midnight as you might expect.

There is still a bug though that if you manually override at an HR92 and then cancel the override at the controller within a few minutes it does not cancel properly, and for the same reasons as above. I've reported this bug to Honeywell and no doubt others have too, so hopefully it gets fixed in the future.

Unfortunately for you, multi-room zone behaviour has not changed in the firmware update - the controller is not aware of local overrides (on purpose, since every HR92 in a multi-room zone can have a different local override) thus the same problem occurs where multiple identical set points in a row will not cancel the local overrides because the controller believes it doesn't need to re-send the set point.

The workaround for your problem is quite simple - any time you have multiple set points in a row with the same temperature where you want intervening local overrides to be cancelled in a multi-room zone, just offset the temperature slightly.

So in my example above, schedule 5.5 degrees at 8pm and then 5.0 degrees at midnight. Because there is always a change in temperature at each set point and never two identical set points following each other, this guarantees the set points will always be sent and local overrides cancelled. Again, hopefully Honeywell will address this bug in the future, it seems like it should be quite easy to fix.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 22nd October 2016 at 10:18 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Thanks for this, I assumed it must be reverting back to operating how it did before the firmware update.

Ive since set another set point at 23:30 half a degree above the setpoint at Midnight, so there are no two consecutive setpoints of the same temperature. 5.5, 5.0, 5.5, 5.0 etc.. So hopefully now it will always send a setpoint at 23:30 and cancel any overrides that may have been left on during the day by accident.

Thanks again.

Automated Home Guru

Back in 2016 I contemplated changing the configuration of my system in a similar manner; having read this thread I decided not to make any changes until the issues referred to above had been resolved.

Can you update me please, have subsequent firmware updates sorted this out?

FB

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FullBore View Post
    Back in 2016 I contemplated changing the configuration of my system in a similar manner; having read this thread I decided not to make any changes until the issues referred to above had been resolved.

Can you update me please, have subsequent firmware updates sorted this out?
    In a word, no.

Automated Home Guru

DBMandrake

Many thanks. Hopefully patience will be rewarded.

I anticipate the next major firmware update with optimism.

FB