First project: remotely programmable timer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dcleal
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2016

First project: remotely programmable timer?

Hi,

I have an existing programmable timer switch (something like http://www.screwfix.com/p/greenbrook...tch-230v/7643G, only much more horrible). Mine has tiny switches, an incomprehensible manual, and the whole thing is in a hard to get to location, so it's comically hard to program, not to mention it periodically seems to forget/change the program!

Sooooo, I thought, how about replacing it with something that I can program through a nice shiny interface on my phone/iPad/laptop. But I can't seem to find such a device on the internet. Any ideas? I don't mind investing in some infrastructure beyond a single switch, as I want to move onto other projects eventually, but it does need to be wireless as rewiring this part of the house isn't practical.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

- Dave
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

A couple of questions first.
    1 What is it switching.
    2. What sort of budget are you thinking of.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• dcleal
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2016

Hi, thanks for the interest.

1. It's switching a small (3sq m) underfloor heating circuit. I think it's a 5 amp fuse, might be 13 amp (not there right now).
      2. Budget: fifty quid? But like I said, if some of it were reusable for future projects, I'd be happy to invest more.

- Dave

Comment

• dcleal
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Dec 2016

Nudge nudge?

Comment

• bradsalmon
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2010

Hi, following this thread with interest as I have a similar problem without a good solution at present. You may have answered your own issue with that link to screwfix.

Can I ask two questions which may or may not affect what you need. 1. which room is this in? mine is for bathrooms and hence I have wiring regs to contend with (assume you are in UK as well). and 2. how do you intend to control the heat i.e. which thermostat? might also be some consideration here as to the type of flooring, so maybe in floor solution if tiled or simple room thermostat if circuit is the main source of heat for the room.

I don't have any answers for you that I would recommend as not found my ideal setup yet, but might be able to help with the journey to the right solution. These are a bit pricey in my opinion but try here to get the brain cells working on an idea -
          Underfloor Heating Thermostats in stock at The Underfloor Heating Store ✓ Power your underfloor heating with a thermostat ✓ Free delivery on all orders ✓

Good luck, Brad

Comment

• dcleal
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Dec 2016

Thanks for the interest!

I actually have two timers to replace: one's attached to the underfloor heating and one to the towel rail. The towel rail one doesn't need a thermostat.

Your link - and specificially the ProWarm ProTouch IQ for 70 quid - looks better than anything else I've found for the heating. My link was actually to the existing timer I have for the towel rail, and I literally can't find anything equivalent with wifi control, which strikes me as amazing. And in any case, I don't really want to end up with two devices and two wifi apps, I would much rather get two devices from one supplier that I can control from one app. None of this stuff seems to be as advanced as I'd hoped. :-(

- Dave

Comment

Working...
            X