• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Domoticz and HGI80 show two zones with oscillating temperatures

I have 12 zones and the temperature data is recorded via an HGI80 to Domoticz. I also have a script running every 5 mins to log the temperatures to emoncms.org using the internet gateway temperatures.

What I see are two zones that seem to record quite weird oscillating temperatures instead of a nice smooth line. All the other zones are fine. The script that uses the internet gateway data, doesn't show these spikes.

Any clues what might be causing this?

chart (1).jpg
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

It is picking up a second thermostat instead of just one.

Comment

• DanD
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Feb 2016

Hi Bruce,

I've been seeing a similar problem in Domoticz recently, but it's with some of the Weatherunderground sensors. I've had to stop using some of my favourite weather sensor locations as I couldn't find a fix. I've no idea what might be causing this for your HGI80 data in Domoticz. Are these 2 zones just the normal zone temperature sensors that get their data directly from the controller (ie. is the ID field in the devices list set to the same value for both)?

Dan

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

The Child Bed room uses a HR80 for the radiator and a T87RF for the sensor, but that is the same setup for the Master Bedroom and that appears fine. Just a single radiator in both room. See graph comparison.

chart (2).jpg

The Lounge has got two radiators and the controller uses one of the radiator controllers as the temperature sensor. The Device list shows this correctly as two Relays and one Sensor. One relay and sensor have the same ID (as expected)

In the same room but at the other end is another radiator controlled as a separate zone because the wife like the radiator next to her a little hotter than the rest of the lounge, but again that doesn't have a problem with the temperature sensing. See graph.

chart (3).jpg

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

It does indeed look as if two different temperature sensors are updating the same "sensor" data column in Domoticz - in both cases you have two potential sensors for the zone. In one zone two radiator valves, in the other a radiator valve and a wall stat.

As the transmission times of each sensor will vary semi-randomly depending on whether the temperature is changing the reading keeps jumping semi-randomly between the two readings depending on which sensor was the last one that transmitted something. But the two different curves are quite clear especially on the purple graph.

I can't see how this could be an Evohome problem - it looks like either a bug in the Domoticz HGI80 code, or perhaps it hasn't been set up properly. I assume you have the feature enabled where all the "unused" temperature sensors for a zone are also logged ?

Using custom graph you should be able to overlay suspected sensors on top of the graphs above to identify which other sensor each of the two embedded readings belong to - one sensor should like up perfectly with the top edge of the squiggle, another should like up with the bottom edge. Have you tried that ?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

I haven't seen this feature in Domoticz where all the unused sensors can also be looked at. All my devices were auto populated and the unused sensors aren't in the list. So I cannot see if they share the same ID and hence the temperature being logged is differs. I do agree this is a bug with hgi80 code no not evohome because in comparison evohome's own graphs (based on the data their servers hold) are nice and smooth for every zone.

P.S. I've just clicked on All Sensors on the Evohome hardware. Let's see if any new devices appear that I haven't seen before.
            Last edited by bruce_miranda; 13 December 2016, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• jdp80
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2016

Mine did this randomly yesterday, I wonder if there is a bug in Domoticz we both encountered.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Having just hit the All Sensors options, a number of 'new' sensors have appeared. These have been auto named as Zone xx, where xx is a number. What is interesting is that suddenly I have more sensors than I thought I had. I'll do some more analysis and see if that tells me what might be happening.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

So a few hours after I hit All Sensors I've got some interesting stats. Just a recap, I have 12 zones but the 12th zone only uses the evohome controller sensor to display the temperature on the Landing where the controller is mounted. This 12th zone has no radiator, so is literally the place that is heated by everything else!

Anyway I got 2 devices called Zone Temp, 2 x Zone 1, Zone 2, Zone 7, Zone 10 and Zone 12. So fairly random Zones. To try and work out what they corresponded to, I set all my zones to known set points to see what effect it would have on these new Devices. All of them took the Set Point changes except for the 2 Zone 1 devices.

But unlike the 'real' zones these new set points didn't show up as Overrides, they just stayed showing Auto.

Code:
                    	55	myEvohome	10e0f2	14	Study Zone 2	Heating	Zone	18.8 C, (13.5 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 16:09:52
                    	56	myEvohome	10efda	17	Passage Zone Temp	Heating	Zone	19.2 C, (17.5 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 16:10:14
                    	57	myEvohome	118002	22	TV Couch Zone 10	Heating	Zone	19.4 C, (19.5 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 16:10:01
                    	58	myEvohome	10f140	19	Master Bed Zone 7	Heating	Zone	17.5 C, (12.5 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 16:09:24
                    	59	myEvohome	118091	24	Lounge Zone 12	Heating	Zone	18.5 C, (14.5 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 16:10:14
                    	60	myEvohome	1180aa	23	Snug Zone Temp	Heating	Zone	19.9 C, (21.5 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 16:08:27
                    	61	myEvohome	590a3a	13	Zone 1	Heating	Zone	10.7 C, (22.0 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 15:49:28
                    	62	myEvohome	58d723	13	Zone 1	Heating	Zone	0.0 C, (22.0 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 13:29:19
                  The Zone 1 entries are most interesting, they show sensor values of 10.7 and 0.0 with a Set point of 22.0. But none of my zones had a set point of 22 and there is certainly no zones even close to the 10.7 or 0.0 temperatures. So wonder what could those be?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

A neighbour ? A spare device that is not bound to the Evotouch but is still powered ?

Didn't you have an outdoor temperature sensor at one point ?
                    Last edited by DBMandrake; 13 December 2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                      Site Sponsor
                      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                      A neighbour ?
                      Yep mine does the same with my 2nd evohome Controller on the CS92A...

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

Nope, all my neighbours are people who find a single thermostat a revolution! (I'm not just saying that, i fitted one). I no longer own any spare evohome stuff and the last HR80, which had no batteries is on its way to Dan now for some testing. So this is baffling to say the least. And those reported temperatures were even colder than the outside temperature right now.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

Are you sure it can't be a neighbour ? It's not necessarily an Evohome. Any Honeywell wireless wall stat would be detected - for example remember that you can bind a DTS92 directly to a BDR91 and use it as a conventional (albeit TPI) wall stat.

Maybe a neighbour has something like this and is away with the timer turned off hence the measured temperature is 10.7 but the setpoint is 22!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

If it were a neighbour, how come it's only been detected now and only after I clicked the All sensors option and it set to 13 as per Dan's code logic? I'll watch it and see if the 10.7 or the 0.0 change over the time. The sensor showing 10.7 is updated just like all the other sensors at regular intervals. The 0.0 sensor hasnt been seen for a few hours.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

I am nowhere closer to figuring out what is causing that oscillating temperatures for the Child Bed and Lounge zones. I've added the unused sensor but strangely there is no unused sensor added for the Child Bed zone with the issue, when I expected one. I'm not using the radiator sensor but a T87RF sensor, so expected the radiator sensor to be picked up, but it hasn't even after multiple reboots.
                              Three zones where unused sensors have been added, don't actually have any unused sensors! because the radiator controller is acting as both the sensor and the actuator.

And then lastly I have these two Zone 1 sensors that don't appear to resemble anything from my house, yet they are active. One changed from 10.7 to 10.9. The other has stayed at 0.0 for hours. The only thing that leads me to think this has got something to do with my installation is because these two sensors have the same ID as 2 of the 5 relays that we auto detected by Domiticz but have always stayed with a value of 200, so I didn't bother tracking them.

Code:
                                	33	myEvohome	581a20	0	Zone	Heating	Relay	On: 200	-	-	Add DeviceRename Device 	2016-11-13 09:30:45
                                	34	myEvohome	58d675	0	Zone	Heating	Relay	On: 200	-	-	Add DeviceRename Device 	2016-12-10 01:04:09
                                	32	myEvohome	58d723	0	Zone	Heating	Relay	On: 200	-	-	Add DeviceRename Device 	2016-12-13 17:30:22
                                	62	myEvohome	58d723	13	Zone 1	Heating	Zone	0.0 C, (22.0 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 19:29:21
                                	35	myEvohome	590a35	0	Zone	Heating	Relay	On: 200	-	-	Add DeviceRename Device 	2016-11-19 11:23:30
                                	24	myEvohome	590a3a	0	Zone	Heating	Relay	On: 200	-	-	Add DeviceRename Device 	2016-12-13 20:22:05
                                	61	myEvohome	590a3a	13	Zone 1	Heating	Zone	10.9 C, (22.0 C), Auto	-	-	Set UnusedRename Device 	2016-12-13 20:11:01

Plotting all the other sensors against the zones that oscillate also doesn't reveal anything because I can't find another zone that correlates to the bottom end of the deviation.

Looks like I'm going to have to build a Pi and get the Domoticz running in debug mode on it to work out what is going on here.
                              Last edited by bruce_miranda; 13 December 2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X