Which OpenTherm boilers work well with Evohome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
    The link does not work.

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
      The link does not work.
      Not sure why, but this seems to replicate what is said in the PDF:

Comment

• stevejclarke
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2017

Is anyone using the Vaillant Exclusive Green iQ with a VR33 ?

One of the other boilers on my shortlist is the Intergas, does anyone know if they've resolved the reported issue with OT and multiple zones ?

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by stevejclarke View Post
          Is anyone using the Vaillant Exclusive Green iQ with a VR33 ?

One of the other boilers on my shortlist is the Intergas, does anyone know if they've resolved the reported issue with OT and multiple zones ?
          I was in contact with Intergas Technical Support just before Christmas. They had no idea if, or when, Intergas Netherlands would have a solution. I am guessing with a replacement boiler out soon that there is probably not that much interest. I am currently looking at the Atag range. There are no reported issues and, by all accounts, their technical support is first class. That said, finding an Atag installer willing to consider Opentherm isn't easy.

Comment

• myboiler-jayesh
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Mar 2017

Viessmann 200-W OpenTherm

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
            Just found this:

What is OpenTherm? Boilers Boilers – Unofficial Controls OpenTherm Boilers and Controls Shown below are a list of OpenTherm capable / compatible manufacturers and boilers. These OpenTherm Boi…

Not sure that the list is 100% accurate as I know the Viessmann 200 is not an Opentherm boiler.
            Hi HenGus, the list may not be 100% accurate as the information is a little sketchy for some of the boilers. However for the Viessmann 200-W, the opentherm information is obtained from the following source : https://wifithermostaten.nl/advies/a...viessmann.html

It's still very hard to determine whether it is opentherm compatible, however one thing is for sure, it is not one of the boilers that are OPENLY OpenTherm :-)
            If you know of any other boilers that are missing from the list or inaccurate, please feel free to let me know via the contact form or via this forum.

Regards,

Jayesh.
            MyBoiler Ltd / MyBoiler.com

Comment

• HenGus
              Automated Home Legend
              • May 2014

Originally posted by myboiler-jayesh View Post
              Hi HenGus, the list may not be 100% accurate as the information is a little sketchy for some of the boilers. However for the Viessmann 200-W, the opentherm information is obtained from the following source : https://wifithermostaten.nl/advies/a...viessmann.html

It's still very hard to determine whether it is opentherm compatible, however one thing is for sure, it is not one of the boilers that are OPENLY OpenTherm :-)
              If you know of any other boilers that are missing from the list or inaccurate, please feel free to let me know via the contact form or via this forum.

Regards,

Jayesh.
              MyBoiler Ltd / MyBoiler.com
              Thanks Jayesh.

I took the safe option and had an Atag IS24 installed last week. As posted on a separate thread, this boiler appears to be 100% compatible with Evohome/Opentherm.

Comment

• Sean in Amersham
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jan 2017

Are we to assume that in reality HenGus's diligent work seems to indicate that the only sure opentherm boiler that has reasonable installation and backup in the UK is Atag?
                I ask as I am seeking to replace a very recent Worcester Bosch 24RI (10 months old) which has turned into a disaster...noise/vibrations etc, and will seek to install OT this time around to match my Evohome.

PS Well done HenGus, very useful information uncovered in your research and posts.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

The Vaillant is fine too if you can source the Vr33 needed to make it understand OT.

Comment

• Sean in Amersham
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                    The Vaillant is fine too if you can source the Vr33 needed to make it understand OT.
                    Thanks Bruce - Our heating arrangements already seem complex, I think I would want to stick with a boiler that natively functions with the OT interface as part of its original design without additional add-ons.
                    I hate to say it but I do not think I could expect any other member of my household to operate our current EvoHome system to make changes to the heating.......

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

I'm not sure how you are going to deal with two Megaflos. Also the VR33 is a Vaillant part, so not a 3rd party gender bender.

Comment

• Sean in Amersham
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Jan 2017

OK Bruce, helpful to know about the VR33. The Megaflos function as one large unit, two smaller units instead of one taller unit as headroom limited at end of roof plant room.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2014

So between the two, they just have one thermostat? Because evohome just has one sensor which will go into one of them, how is the temperature of the other one controlled then?

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Mar 2017

The Viessmann 100-W open vent also seems to work well (You need an Opentherm Cable), however using the Opentherm will disable the boiler flow temperature controller on the front. Whether this is an issue or not seems to be debatable. However the issue I think you will have as bruce_miranda has mentioned is the two stored hot water tanks as the EvoHome will only allow control of one cylinder on the system, and obviously this will cause issues with the Opentherm.

The way round this you could actually use the EvoHome for the central heating with Opentherm and then use a standard timeclock for the hotwater and use the cylinder demand kit for the Viessmann (Part No.:7296968) and wire the motorised valves as HW priority, this then overrides the Opentherm controller and puts the boiler into full mode for the recovery of the 2 hot water cylinders and use each cylinder stat on the Megaflos.

What is wrong with the Worcester, as the Greenstar heat onlys are generally good, quiet boilers? Has it been installed correctly?

Comment

• Sean in Amersham
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jan 2017

Thank you both. The megaflos remain on the original time clock installed by the builders , I could not see the point in adding the extra Evohome gear for the hot water which for me is a basic on/off situation. Evohome handles UFH and rads only.
                              I run a system that heats UFH at night for day use, heats water 3 times a day for use in peak hours and rads as required which is mainly mornings and evenings in bedrooms really.
                              I preheat next mornings water late evening so no conflict of use for boiler output.

Worcester Bosch - what a carry on! I had 2 installed in 2 homes (both replacing potterton promax) and both have been unsatisfactory installations. In "new" house there is unexpected volumes of air now coming into system and very noticeable vibration from the metal case onto its contents. This is loud enough to prevent sleep in the bedroom above the garage housing the boiler, really very annoying and unsatisfactory from day one really.
                              The "old" house also had a modest boiler changeover to WB which took 3 days to do and half wrecked the kitchen and airing cupboard. Installer could not get boiler to work as they had wired it incorrectly and WB had to come out and fix it for them.
                              These are both WB approved installers from their recommendations. WB may get lots of stars from "Which" but are very poor at approving installers, thats for sure.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Sean in Amersham View Post
                                Thank you both. The megaflos remain on the original time clock installed by the builders , I could not see the point in adding the extra Evohome gear for the hot water which for me is a basic on/off situation. Evohome handles UFH and rads only.
                                I run a system that heats UFH at night for day use, heats water 3 times a day for use in peak hours and rads as required which is mainly mornings and evenings in bedrooms really.
                                I preheat next mornings water late evening so no conflict of use for boiler output.

Worcester Bosch - what a carry on! I had 2 installed in 2 homes (both replacing potterton promax) and both have been unsatisfactory installations. In "new" house there is unexpected volumes of air now coming into system and very noticeable vibration from the metal case onto its contents. This is loud enough to prevent sleep in the bedroom above the garage housing the boiler, really very annoying and unsatisfactory from day one really.
                                The "old" house also had a modest boiler changeover to WB which took 3 days to do and half wrecked the kitchen and airing cupboard. Installer could not get boiler to work as they had wired it incorrectly and WB had to come out and fix it for them.
                                These are both WB approved installers from their recommendations. WB may get lots of stars from "Which" but are very poor at approving installers, thats for sure.
                                I have to say I am very unimpressed with their boilers although I cannot fault their support service. A lot of their boilers are full of plastic parts and leak after around 5 years, which is unacceptable on a boiler that is so expensive. Vaillants inside have very few plastic parts. I think they are very good promoting their products and giving people the impression that they are the best boilers on the market however really they are poorly built. It also doesn't help when it has been installed incorrectly.

I take it both systems are open vented?

Comment

Working...
                                X