Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tado V3 vs Evohome ?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    However even a list of bug fixes in current / past releases would be nice
    Agree. A standard schedule of fixes would be good. But for me I don't see why Honeywell can't post a note on the forum of any known bug fixes planned for future releases.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Honeywell likes to think of Evohome as (pretty much) bug-free. That's their corporate culture. I've heard it from more than one person working there.

Given that, I think you're piddling in the wind to expect a bug fix schedule.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 11th January 2017 at 10:31 AM.

Automated Home Ninja

How do Honeywell's competition do software upgrades on the radio controlled devices? Eg Radiator controllers etc.

Automated Home Lurker

I spent a while researching Tado and Evohome and others as I'm sure others do. I went with Evohome because according to the documentation and Tado sales reps the Tado setup cannot function as a standalone system for scheduling. The Tado controller is just a dumb terminal all the automation and scheduling is done on Tado servers. This was always going to be a long term investment startups come and go. If the internet drops or Tado go out of business or have an outage all the automation is gone. You only have basic manual control. Evohome on the other had works perfectly as a standalone system.

Obviously everyone's requirements are different just thought I'd share mine.

Automated Home Ninja

That is very true. Evohome just seems to work...independently of any network or anything. It's roots are as a stand alone system and all the connected stuff seems to be bolted on as a response to competition rather than by design.

Automated Home Lurker

Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but my boiler has a 10 year warranty I'm hopeful the controller will be still useable then. Yeh the app is a nice to have for me anyway. Controlling from your phone is a gimmick in my opinion, my setup works seemlessly without touching it which is exactly wanted, I use it very rarely to switch set/cancel quick actions which admittedly I could use ifttt to automate that. Evohome can be completely updated with new software & new features if Honeywell could be bothered as the controller supports OTA firmware updates, they're very quiet on that front which is a shame.
    Last edited by pixxelbob; 12th January 2017 at 08:37 PM.