• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

HR92 failed

I think one of my HR92s has failed. I wonder whether anyone has seen this failure mode before:

It has a setpoint of 13 degrees (confirmed via App, controller, and display on the device itself).

Room temp is 17 degrees, so there should be no heat demand.

But about two days ago the actuator came on full, and has stayed there ever since.

I can see in Domoticz that it's showing a 100% demand. But the funny thing is, it isn't triggering boiler demand. The valve has opened to 100% and the room is heating up, but only when there's demand from other zones.

It's the last zone here. Note 100% demand, but the CH valve is closed.

I've tried rebooting the HR92 and rebooting the controller. Also removing the zone and recreating it.

Looks like the HR is dead, but I find the failure mode quite odd!

P.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 9 January 2017, 05:29 PM.
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

DanD (Domoticz hero) just spotted that the HR92 is sending a 0xFE (254) heat demand message, but this value should usually range between 0-200.

Perhaps that's why the controller isn't responding to it.

Further investigation show that the HR92 shows E2 on the display when connected to a TRV, but the display is normal when detached. I've tried it on different radiators, and it's definitely a problem with the HR92 rather than the TRV.

Anyone know what E2 means? I'm surprised that an HR92 sending a code of 254 doesn't result in anything in the controller error log.

P.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 9 January 2017, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

e2

valve
      Motor cannot be
      moved

Improper installation of
      Radiator Controller
      Seized radiator valve
      Check the Radiator Controller is properly
      installed on the radiator valve and adaptor.
      Check that the valve can be manually opened and
      closed (see Emergency operation on page 17).
      Remove the blockage or replace seized valve.
      Looks like the motor or gearbox has failed in your HR92.

If you take it off the radiator and "close" the locking latch to fool it into thinking it is fitted, then adjust the temperature between low and high extremes directly using the dial on the top, do you see/hear the motor turning ? If you hear no noise at all I'd say the motor has died, if you hear a noise but it doesn't turn or doesn't sound healthy its more likely a gear problem.

PS looks like Domoticz code should be updated to recognise 254 (or any number over 200) as a potential fault ? Apparently the controller knows 254 is a fault and not just a very high demand, although its disappointing that it doesn't report something in the fault logbook...
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 10 January 2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

Yup - looks like the motor has gone.

Oddly, this is from a spare room where the temp doesn't change much - I wonder whether the lack of exercise is what killed it?

Install was May 2015, so what's that - 20 months? Given the size of my system (I think I have 15 rads) I don't consider 1x HR92 failing to be particularly excessive.

P.

Comment

• DanD
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Feb 2016

Hi Paul,

I've had the E2 error on one of my HR92s, but luckily it must have simply been due to some debris jamming the gears as fresh batteries, taking it on and off to let it re-calibrate it a few times and a little shake seemed to fix it. Unnecessarily in my case, I did initially try to disassemble the HR92, but gave up after successfully removing the piece of white plastic beneath the cap which covers the motor and can be removed by loosening the 1 screw and gently prying the 3 black tabs. This didn't reveal much and I think to further disassemble to get at the gears you have to remove the front casing which seems to be held in by 2 small tabs at the bottom of the housing that the screen folds into and are partly covered as you move the locking mechanism. I wasn't brave enough to mess with these as it seemed quite fragile so put it back together and also learnt that you have to be careful to position the cap cog correctly when re-attaching the white plastic piece or its shaft can get bent . Fortunately, I didn't break anything and it's all working OK now. If yours is out of warranty and fresh alkaline batteries and a few re-calibrations don't revive it, it might be worth trying to access the gearing and/or testing the motor as others have done with the HR80s (when they got the E3 message) before sending it to the bin.

If you take it off the radiator and "close" the locking latch to fool it into thinking it is fitted, then adjust the temperature between low and high extremes directly using the dial on the top, do you see/hear the motor turning ? If you hear no noise at all I'd say the motor has died, if you hear a noise but it doesn't turn or doesn't sound healthy its more likely a gear problem.
          I think this is great advice as I'm sure mine made a brief noise before stalling each time I tried this, which gave me a little bit of hope that it was fixable.

PS looks like Domoticz code should be updated to recognise 254 (or any number over 200) as a potential fault ? Apparently the controller knows 254 is a fault and not just a very high demand, although its disappointing that it doesn't report something in the fault logbook...
          Noted. I'll add this to my list of pending updates to the Domoticz code and work out an appropriate place for displaying faults as I think the generic solution at the moment is to use pop-ups which I'm not too happy with. I am surprised the Evohome controller doesn't handle this error in some way as I only discovered my jammed HR92 from monitoring setpoints and actual temperatures of all my zones with Domoticz.

Dan
          Last edited by DanD; 10 January 2017, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            Oddly, this is from a spare room where the temp doesn't change much - I wonder whether the lack of exercise is what killed it?
            I doubt it. I'm assuming its just a standard small brushless DC motor, in which case lack of use will not be a problem.

I think it's just bad luck.

Comment

• chrisgare
              Automated Home Guru
              • Dec 2013

I had a couple of the old actuators fail on me with a stuck motor fault - E2? It was easy to un-jam it by attaching two short leads to a penlight battery and applying the ends to the motor terminals to jog it along. Reversing the leads, reverses the motor direction. There was a YouTube video about how to do it. Never taken a new apart so I'm not sure how accessible the motor connectors are.

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

I'll have a look when I get home. I think the HR92 is a lot more 'closed' than the HR80 was.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

The HR92 is somewhat difficult to get fully apart and back together again without damage - I had to take one apart due to the screen being ripped right off (!) so that I could plug the ribbon cable for the screen back in on the main board.

I don't recall the specific details but there were a couple of tiny little plastic tabs that were really difficult to get off and back into place without breaking - and in fact I broke one of them on reassembly causing one side of the top not to hold together snugly - I ended up having to use a little dot of superglue in place of the broken tab and 9 months later it is still working ok.

Given that yours is already faulty you don't have much to lose though, just take it slowly and carefully. I recently saw a full teardown of the HR92 with high resolution photos of all the disassembled innards that might be helpful but I can't remember where I saw it! It might have even been this very forum...

BTW if it really is just stuck and needs freeing by connecting a battery directly to the motor, I would have thought that turning the cog that is visible inside with a thumb nail would both confirm whether it is physically rotating freely or not and also free it if stuck at least as well as connecting a battery - so try that first before going to the trouble of disassembly.
                  Last edited by DBMandrake; 10 January 2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                    I recently saw a full teardown of the HR92 with high resolution photos of all the disassembled innards that might be helpful but I can't remember where I saw it! It might have even been this very forum...
                    That was me - I have another one that had failed at install time, and which the installers left here.

It was hardly a teardown though - I just ripped it apart. No hope of ever putting it back together again. It has a real 'jigsaw' assembly.

P.

p.s. the visible cog is impossible to turn because of the gearing, even on a good one.

Comment

• Rameses
                      Industry Expert
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                      Yup - looks like the motor has gone.

Install was May 2015, so what's that - 20 months? Given the size of my system (I think I have 15 rads) I don't consider 1x HR92 failing to be particularly excessive.

P.
                      Paul

Did you get this resolved? (Ie swapped out?) HR92's cycle every couple of weeks (even when not at part of schedule) to stop pins sticking etc. so your less used room shouldn't be at fault.
                      With the volume we make there may be faults - but we are always keen to see, get back and look at it.
                      getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                        Did you get this resolved? (Ie swapped out?)
                        Still have the dead one here if you want it. I keep meaning to pop into Screwfix to buy a replacement, but end up driving past without remembering!
                        P.

Comment

• Rameses
                          Industry Expert
                          • Nov 2014

Let's exercise the warranty - I will DM you
                          getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

Working...
                          X