• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makemyhomesmart
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2017

Siri Speaker

Hi All,

With the predicted release of the Siri Speaker today, it got me thinking. Does anyone think this type of home automation device will ever be big? We now have Google home and the Amazon Echo with some but limited take up. Will voice activated home automation be a thing of the future or a flash in the pan because everyone feels weird talking to their house?
    www.makemyhomesmart.co.uk
  • Fireblade69
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2016

I think it might but we have to train ourselves to use it. I have Echo dot connected by bluetooth to an amplifier to my ceiling speakers so I can request music, news, weather & sport updates and my problem is all the different voice commands I can give it - I can hardly remember what day of the week it is so I'm always getting them wrong!

I have Harmony Ultimate, Hue, Honeywell Evohome and a IFTTT all connected and I think I can get maybe 3 or 4 voice commands right at any given time :-(

Also, it is guaranteed not to work properly when you're demonstrating it to your mates despite testing it 20 times before they arrive :-|

Comment

• MichaelD
      Automated Home Guru
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by makemyhomesmart View Post
      Hi All,

With the predicted release of the Siri Speaker today, it got me thinking. Does anyone think this type of home automation device will ever be big? We now have Google home and the Amazon Echo with some but limited take up. Will voice activated home automation be a thing of the future or a flash in the pan because everyone feels weird talking to their house?
      These devices have taken off, Amazon Echo was first into the market has stayed ahead, now holding about 70% of users. It is becoming the integrator that we've been hoping for for years.

For £50, or £40 occasionally, an echo dot integrates a whole stack of devices in an amazingly simple way. With the right devices in your home, you can ask to have the heating increased in your room, get the kettle switched on without leaving your chair, get a news update, check your calendar, get a weather forecast.

It takes less than an hour to set everything up to do this, which is almost unbelievable, how long would it normally take to get this done through any other single interface ? Having 15 smart home apps on your phone doesn't count, that is just a nuisance.

I wake up in the morning, and without opening my eyes, get the news, weather, check my calendar, open the curtains, and put the kettle on. Why would anyone not want that?

Comment

• MichaelD
        Automated Home Guru
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Fireblade69 View Post
        ... I think I can get maybe 3 or 4 voice commands right at any given time :-(

Also, it is guaranteed not to work properly when you're demonstrating it to your mates despite testing it 20 times before they arrive :-|
        But remember that these things are fairly new, over the last few months the accuracy of speech recognition and the accuracy of the response has improved massively, and its going to keep getting better.

I'm getting probably 90%+ of my voice commands recognised and actioned correctly with Alexa. Think its about 8% when I ask my wife for something

Comment

Working...
        X