• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodburner
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2017

Evohome - wireless pump overrun

Hi

I have a c/h system with gas boiler and wood stove boiler linked up. All the pumps/motorised valves are in a different part of the house to the gas boiler. So I want to do wireless control for everything via the Evohome.

My question is has any one worked out how to do pump overrun for gas boiler where the pump is not hard wired to the boiler.
  • Dan_Robinson
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Jun 2012

MAINSLINK is a plug and play solution to replace a switched live cable. When 230Vac “LIVE” is input to the transmitter; the receiver provides a 230Vac “LIVE” switched output at its screw terminals.  When a cable run is awkward or expensive to achieve, the MAINSLINK can be used, saving time and money. Features: • Quick and Simple to Install • Up to 5km Range open line of sight • Up to 1km in Buildings • Reliable high-end radio link • High Quality UK manufacture • Weatherproof IP68 Enclosures • Easy Connection with Screw Terminals • Supplied pre-configured ready to operate • Operates from 230V MAINSLINK System (Supplied Complete with Tx & Rx)  Applications: •Switched Live •Cable Replacement •Thermostat Thinking of using the MAINSLINK, MAINSLINK-PRO or MULTILINK in a heating application? Click here to read our 'Which Pump Overrun Solution do I need for Heating' article, which explains the MAINSLINK product you will need for which application.

Although you must not rely on this for the wood burner.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• Woodburner
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2017

Thanks. I think we probably move the pump to be with boiler as another wireless device will blow my electricians mind. He still hasn’t got his head around the layout as we trying to put the Evohome system on this wiring diagram. http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/layout2.htm

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

Another idea which might work (someone tell me if I've overlooked something) - DOUBLE bind two BDR91s, and have one on the boiler and one on the pump, with a simple timer circuit added to the latter (a simple bathroom fan overrun timer would work fine).

Normally we want to avoid double binding relays, and it causes problems, but (if I'm right) it could work in this case.

Comment

• Woodburner
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Sep 2017

I did think this might be an option. Can you get a stand alone timer circuit device?

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Yup. Search for bathroom fan overrun timers. Lots available, and almost certainly the cheapest way to do this.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Jun 2012

And if the boiler fires for frost protection and there isn't a pump run signal from the fan timer?
              Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

Yeah, good point. Don't do this if your boiler is in a garage or outbuilding that's likely to fall below 5 degrees.

Mine's in my kitchen, so I forget that people have their boilers in places where the heat given out by the boiler casing / flue etc. will get wasted!

Comment

• Woodburner
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Sep 2017

Thanks for the info. Based on the issues discussed we moved the primary pump for the boiler to under the boiler today and hard wired it to the boiler so that now the boiler can run with its own overrun.
                  Our next task is to now try and sort out the c/h pump and the n/o hot water valve control.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                    Mine's in my kitchen, so I forget that people have their boilers in places where the heat given out by the boiler casing / flue etc. will get wasted!
                    Wish I had thought about this 8 years ago when I moved the boiler from the kitchen into the loft! I've had to incur consider expense to do that and have had no end of trouble with the extra copper runs. Plus every year I have to beg an engineer to come and service my boiler, even though the loft is completely boarded and extremely well lit. The only plus side was that we had no constraints when redesigning our kitchen.

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

I guess it also reduces the chance of a frozen pipe bursting in the loft - it'll be too warm up there for that!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

All the pipes in the loft are lagged. But I can sense the scarasm there :-)

Comment

• top brake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Feb 2015

please take care with solid fuel systems
                          I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Woodburner
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                            please take care with solid fuel systems
                            Yep the system convects without power and has anti boil thermostats that open all valves and bring the c/h pump on if power is on. There is also a locked open radiator on the solid fuel circuit and 3 c/h circuit radiators are also locked open in ensuites. The solid fuel boiler also has its own water thermostat that shuts the air feed off. If after all that it does boil ther is a large open vent steel tank on the system.

The problem is making the logic on the Evohome drive the system.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                              Site Sponsor
                              • Dec 2014

I've been racking my brain on this for you, but the control logic won't work 100% with evohome vs how the Dunsley diagram is wired using a two channel programmer. I haven't given up yet, but think this will need 'wires' to some points of the application that would normally be done wirelessly in a standard system.

Comment

Working...
                              X