• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Anyone got a Vaillant eBUS timer/controller I could borrow

If people have an old Vaillant eBUS controller that was controlling the Heating and Hot Water schedule and then moved to Evohome then their old Vaillant eBUS controller must be sitting idle. I would like to study the comms between the controller and the boiler and was wondering any one had an old one kicking about that I could borrow for a few days?

It needs to be one that controls both Hot Water and Central Heating.
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

I picked up one from the bay. Let's see how I get on with that.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

Again wanting to know if anyone removed their Vaillant controls when moving to Evohome? I would like to buy the old Wiring control centre VR65 or VR66 and the cylinder sensor VR10. Don't want to pay full price for them as this is for a project and not for its intended purpose.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

Again, got one from the bay.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Jun 2012

The vr10 is just thermistor. Either 10 or 12k (I forget which) figure out which and I'll send you one. Can't help you with the other stuff though.
          Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Thank you for the kind offer. I have now managed to source a VRT360F and the VR65+VR10 that I needed for some playing around.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2017

Reviving an old thread here, but want to know how you went on?

The in laws are having a new set up in their house, and with it being old house I want to run the radiators at a very low flow temperature but 24/7. However they'll be having an unvented cylinder as well so I need two different flow temperatures, as a flow temperature at 50oc isn't going to reheat the cylinder. Now they aren't technically minded and they haven't got loads to be spending on EvoHome and Opentherm so i've been looking at a VR66 and VRT350. Having not installed one of these before I wasn't sure you could achieve what I wanted, am I right in thinking that the controller allows you to have two different flow temperatures for cylinder charging and CH? The book whilst mentions something about this, it is still quite brief on the matter.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Yes with a VR65 or VR66 you can have two different flow temperatures. The VR65 comes with the VR10, the VR66 doesn't. I have a brand new VR65 for sale if you want and also have a timer clock too, but not new. PM me if interested

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                  Yes with a VR65 or VR66 you can have two different flow temperatures. The VR65 comes with the VR10, the VR66 doesn't. I have a brand new VR65 for sale if you want and also have a timer clock too, but not new. PM me if interested
                  Yes will probably interested. They're a while off yet as we've got to get a LPG tank installed etc. but nearer the time i'll be contact. Many thanks.

Comment

• fezster
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Dec 2017

The VR10 sensor will have to be installed into the unvented cylinder's dry pocket, ensuring the zone valve is wired in series with the overheat stat to maintain the mandated safety requirements.

The flow temperature on the boiler is then adjusted to max (usually 75 degrees) and the VRT350 will control the flow temperature when using CH. When the DHW kicks in, the VR65/VR66 will adjust the flow temperature to max, until the VR10 reports that the HW cylinder is up to the desired temperature.
                    Last edited by fezster; 7 January 2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by fezster View Post
                      The VR10 sensor will have to be installed into the unvented cylinder's dry pocket, ensuring the zone valve is wired in series with the overheat stat to maintain the mandated safety requirements.

The flow temperature on the boiler is then adjusted to max (usually 75 degrees) and the VRT350 will control the flow temperature when using CH. When the DHW kicks in, the VR65/VR66 will adjust the flow temperature to max, until the VR10 reports that the HW cylinder is up to the desired temperature.
                      Thanks for clarifying about the flow temperatures, this should allow me to do what I wanted to achieve. The max flow temperature you want for CH, do you set at the boiler or on the controller? (or can you do it either way)

Comment

• fezster
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Dec 2017

The dial on the front of the boiler sets the max temp allowed, and then the ebus controller adjusts it (never able to exceed the max). Thanks @bruce_miranda for this info.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2014

The dials on the front of the boiler set the HW target temp for the cylinder and the Max Flow for the CH. If you are using a Vaillant programmer, you are meant to set both those to max and then use the controller to set the HW required temperature. The CH flow is then dynamically altered based on requirement. However if you ignore the instructions and set the dials to a number lower than max then the programmer cannot exceed the dials. The interesting bit is that the MAXes themselves can be changed in the installer menus. But generally when heating HW, Flow is set to 80C.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

I am meant to be conducting a test to check if the boiler will kick itself into using the 80C without a eBUS programmer and without a VR10 sensor. I know this works without a eBUS controller, but I don't know if it will work without the VR10 temperature sensor.

Comment

• fezster
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                              I am meant to be conducting a test to check if the boiler will kick itself into using the 80C without a eBUS programmer and without a VR10 sensor. I know this works without a eBUS controller, but I don't know if it will work without the VR10 temperature sensor.
                              I'll be very interested in the result of this.

Comment

Working...
                              X