X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan_Robinson
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Jun 2012

Don't expect anything to happen for 5ish minutes of a request. The system has a built-in communication cycle to help P save battery life and comms overlaps...

I'll let SH take credit for this one.... Even though, well.... *cough*.. 😎😜
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• willdonal
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
      Don't expect anything to happen for 5ish minutes of a request. The system has a built-in communication cycle to help P save battery life and comms overlaps...

I'll let SH take credit for this one.... Even though, well.... *cough*.. ����
      Thanks Dan. You were right, it just took a lot longer to react to my inputs but all is working as advertised :-) :-) Can I just ask you one more question. I have the hot water temperature set on the controller to 45 with a hot water differential set at 5. However the temperature this morning is reading a scolding hot 65!!! Do I have to adjust the temp on the hot water tank? Seems to be the temp set on the boiler is overruling what I have set on the controller. Cheers

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

Originally posted by willdonal View Post
        Thanks Dan. You were right, it just took a lot longer to react to my inputs but all is working as advertised :-) :-) Can I just ask you one more question. I have the hot water temperature set on the controller to 45 with a hot water differential set at 5. However the temperature this morning is reading a scolding hot 65!!! Do I have to adjust the temp on the hot water tank? Seems to be the temp set on the boiler is overruling what I have set on the controller. Cheers
        What sort of cylinder? Is the CS92 properly bound to the controller? Page 16 of the installation guide.

FWiW, my experience with the HW kit on an unvented cylinder is the opposite to yours - caused by the fact that the unvented cylinder thermostat was left at a temperature below that set on Evohome.

PS: a hot water temperature of 45C is very low and unlike, some other smart thermostats, Evohome does not have built in Legionnaires' Disease protection.

Comment

• willdonal
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
          What sort of cylinder? Is the CS92 properly bound to the controller? Page 16 of the installation guide.

FWiW, my experience with the HW kit on an unvented cylinder is the opposite to yours - caused by the fact that the unvented cylinder thermostat was left at a temperature below that set on Evohome.

PS: a hot water temperature of 45C is very low and unlike, some other smart thermostats, Evohome does not have built in Legionnaires' Disease protection.
          Hello Hengus, I am presuming it is bonded correctly as I have it set to come on twice a day and as far as I am aware it does. I'll have to play around with the controller to set the water on and listen for the boiler to kick in. I just find 65 just far too hot hence the setting of 45. I think I'll change it to 50 and see how I get on with that. The tank is an unvented indirect cylinder, megaflow high efficiency Heatrae Sadia.

Comment

• HenGus
            Automated Home Legend
            • May 2014

Hello Hengus, I am presuming it is bonded correctly as I have it set to come on twice a day and as far as I am aware it does. I'll have to play around with the controller to set the water on and listen for the boiler to kick in. I just find 65 just far too hot hence the setting of 45. I think I'll change it to 50 and see how I get on with that. The tank is an unvented indirect cylinder, megaflow high efficiency Heatrae Sadia.
            I have an Oso unvented cylinder and, for safety reasons, the HW Kit is wired in series with the existing cylinder thermostats. It follows that if the HW sensor fails then the normal cylinder stat will do its thing. For the sake of 5 minutes work, I would clear the bindings on the CS92 and the HW BDR; re-bind the CS92 to the controller followed by the BDR. It is important to clear the binding on the BDR properly.

Comment

• roydonaldson
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2013

You really need to make sure that you keep the hot water temperature stored above 45. Have a read at:

Provides links to sources of information and guidance on health and safety in the health and social care services sector.

Comment

• Dan_Robinson
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Jun 2012

What is the hot water overrun set to?
                Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Comment

• willdonal
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Oct 2017

I have an Oso unvented cylinder and, for safety reasons, the HW Kit is wired in series with the existing cylinder thermostats. It follows that if the HW sensor fails then the normal cylinder stat will do its thing. For the sake of 5 minutes work, I would clear the bindings on the CS92 and the HW BDR; re-bind the CS92 to the controller followed by the BDR. It is important to clear the binding on the BDR properly.
                  The electrician had the panel open to the settings on the tank but as far as I can work out the sensor is attached to the tank and wired in to the cs92. The cs92 is not connected to a power supply. What is the BDR? Am I right in saying that to clear the binding you just press the button for 15 seconds? thanks

Comment

• willdonal
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Dan_Robinson View Post
                    What is the hot water overrun set to?
                    Hi Dan, The overrun is set to 10 minutes. I now have the water set to 50 and the controller is telling me the temperature is 61.

Comment

• willdonal
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                      You really need to make sure that you keep the hot water temperature stored above 45. Have a read at:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/legionella.htm
                      Thanks for that Roy, I have adjusted the temperature up :-) :-)

Comment

• G4RHL
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post

http://www.hse.gov.uk/healthservices/legionella.htm
                        Keep it at 60c. It does not have to be on long, but that of course depends on use. Mine is on for an hour in the morning and 30 minutes at night and I find it quite sufficient. There is always cold water to cool it down. Currently my app says the tank temperature is 35c. It will come on at 18:00 for 30 minutes but I know it will be up to 60c in a very short time.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

Are you saying that it reads the temperature correctly as 65 on the screen but doesn't seem to be controlling it properly ?

Check to make sure that your hot water BDR91 and hot water zone valves are working properly.

The green light on the hot water BDR91 should only come on when hot water is scheduled on and it is below the set point. Make sure this light is not coming on when there is only a heating demand. If this relay has been double bound it might be coming on when you have heating demand and thus the hot water temperature keeps rises towards the boilers flow temperature...

It could also be caused by a wiring error in the wiring centre or a problem with the hot water zone valve. Make sure the hot water zone valve is indeed closed when the hot water temperature is above your set temperature.

I'm also in agreement with others - don't set your hot water to 45 - that's too low to kill bacteria. 50-55 is the minimum safe temperature. I have mine set to 54. Hopefully you have blending taps so you can blend in a little cold water for comfortable and safe washing of hands.

Comment

• HenGus
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • May 2014

Hi Dan, The overrun is set to 10 minutes. I now have the water set to 50 and the controller is telling me the temperature is 61.
                            I would say that 10 minutes is far too long which, as Dan has suggested, is why you are having significant temperature over-runs. I have just checked and my boiler installer set the over-run to one minute. I do have an ABV in the system.

The CS92 is nothing more than a battery-powered sensor which informs the Evotouch. My system was originally wired as per diagram 2 on page 42. The HW zone valve will close when either the temperature reaches the Evotouch set temperature or, if the sensor fails, the tank reaches the temperature set on the cylinder electrical panel. By the sound of it, your electrician will have been aware of the need not to over-ride the unvented cylinder built in protections.
                            Last edited by HenGus; 3 October 2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

I would say that 10 minutes is far too long which, as Dan has suggested, is why you have having significant temperature over-runs. I have just checked and my boiler installer set the over-run to one minute. I do have an ABV in the system.

The CS92 is nothing more than a battery-powered sensor which informs the Evotouch. My system was originally wired as per diagram 2 on page 42. The HW zone valve will close when either the temperature reaches the Evotouch set temperature or, if the sensor fails, the tank reaches the temperature set on the cylinder electrical panel. By the sound of it, your electrician will have been aware of the need not to over-ride the unvented cylinder built in protections.
                              Agreed, 10 minutes is too long. Try a hot water overrun of 1 minute or at most 2 minutes. I still don't think a long overrun could cause an overshoot of nearly 20 degrees though, as the boiler would be off during the overrun...

Comment

• HenGus
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • May 2014

I would still think in terms of Occam’s Razor and rule out binding issues.

Set the HW over-run to one minute while you are at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X