• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IM35461
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2012

Two Zones Created Their Own Manual Timers

I have no optimization enabled and thus was surprised that I could hear the heating was on. It was about 06:30 and nothing should come on till 07:30.
    At first I thought it may be the update gone funny but box still on V1.

Anyway two Zones were on because according to the display and app that manual on temperatures had been set ending at 07:30

No such events were set by me.

Anyone else seen this?

Once up I will post a screen dump, still in bed
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Are you sure that the actual temperatures in the two zones didn't fall below the target temperatures?

Comment

• IM35461
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2012

Up now
      The zones are all set to 10c during the night increasing to various settings at 07:30

The two zones that did it were the Kitchen, picking 19.0c and the Hallway picking 16.0c
      2017-11-10 06.41.31.jpg

I then used the app to turn two more zones on and the evohome you will note shows the two different symbols
      2017-11-10 06.53.13.jpg

After 07:30, back to schedule
      2017-11-10 07.35.55.jpg

I hope the photos are in the right order.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

Looking at the middle photo, the Kitchen and Hallway appear to be over-rides set on the controller. Are all your zones configured to turn off/turn down temperature at the same time? I ask because there have been issues in the past when the controller has failed to re-set an over-ride when the next time point is reached. The other symbol is a phone/Pad icon.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Have a read of this thread:

Comment

• IM35461
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Jan 2012

Hi, yes it does sound like the second thread.

The kitchen zone temperature is controlled by the wall thermostat option rather than the HR92.

The hall zone uses the HR92 sensor and no one touched any of the devices.

I shall keep an eye on it and may even refit the timer in the boiler so it can't run when the heating should be off.

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

The best workaround for this problem is to remove the batteries for the HR92's in the affected zones, then reinsert them after a random amount of time.

This will randomise the timing of the hourly set point reports the HR92's send (which causes this phantom override issue) in relation to your schedule, and as the window of vulnerability is very small (only a few minutes) 9 out of 10 times rebooting the HR92's will solve it.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

I too have recently had these. I have only HR80s around the house and two or three times the schedule overrides have shown when none were entered.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                  I too have recently had these. I have only HR80s around the house and two or three times the schedule overrides have shown when none were entered.
                  The clue to this problem is that within about 3-4 minutes after a zone is scheduled to change to a new temperature it will revert to the previous set temperature but with the manual override hourglass displayed, as if the user had overridden it back to the previous temperature.

Comment

• IM35461
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Jan 2012

Indeed, your clue seems to be correct.
                    I have not tried the battery removal yet but will do that later today.

And yes, the Kitchen zone did it again, setting it to the night time temperature, 10c for the full day (up to 22:30).

2017-11-11 08.00.02.jpg

I trust a fix for this bug is also included in the new firmware being rolled out...

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by IM35461 View Post
                      I trust a fix for this bug is also included in the new firmware being rolled out...
                      I wouldn't hold your breath on that, the problem was first noted on this forum about a year ago (I'd have to check my original thread) and so far no fix. (at least not documented) It's also a problem that occurs so rarely that it's hard to even be sure whether it has been fixed or not.

Unfortunately the nature of the problem means it will not be easy to fix - it's really the HR92's that need a firmware update to fix the problem "correctly", as it is a result of them sending out a periodic hourly set point update which to the controller looks like the user made a manual override. So if this happens in the small window of opportunity of at most about 3 minutes between when a schedule change occurs and the set point is actually sent to an HR92 you end up with the old set point appearing as a manual override.

As far as we know HR92's are not firmware upgradeable. (Has anyone seen anything other than firmware 1.01 on their HR92 ?) So any fix is going to have to be applied in the controller and is therefore likely to be a workaround with drawbacks of its own.

One possible workaround would be from the time a set point change is scheduled until that change is actually sent from the controller to HR92, for the controller to ignore any set point change coming from the HR92 trying to change the temperature back to the old set point. That is probably the best workaround but it means in very specific circumstances an actual user initiated override might be ignored.

But that may be preferable to what we have now where rarely, and seemingly at random, a scheduled set point change (OR a manual set point change made by the user via the control panel or phone app) gets reverted so it looks like you made a manual override to the previous temperature even though you know for sure you set it to the correct new temperature. (No you're not going crazy, I've had this happen to me quite a number of times over the last year...)

Comment

• IM35461
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Jan 2012

Just to confirm, since taking the batteries out for a short period on the two zones and refitting the units (as you would with a battery change) that all has been well and no more phantom over-rides.

Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X