X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DJBenson
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2016

I’ll respond to the Loop Energy question ASAP and help out where I can I getting Loop into Domoticz for you. Mines been running for well over 12 months now without so much as a stutter.

Comment

• alanharvey
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2018

Brilliant. Thanks!

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

I installed Evohome in December 2014 and did find my gas consumption dropped. Mainly I suppose because my house was not unnecessarily heated because the thermostat in the hall I then had thought it all needed heating. Having the individual control for each room is much better. Like HenGus though I share the concern about the ease of operation. I am in my 70s, I have no issues with operating Evohome or other remote controlled systems I have installed, but my wife has no interest. I think at the very least Honeywell should have, still can, design the app to be easier to operate for the non technically minded. I am sure those designing these things never stop to think of the real and more common end user.

Comment

• peterf
          Automated Home Guru
          • Jan 2015

Like G4RHL, I've experienced a drop in consumption - in my case oil - since installation. How much of a drop is obviously down to individual circumstances and, in my case, much is down to a '60s house with large windows with the ridge aligned roughly north/south. Here the issue was heating the east-facing rooms where there was any hint of sun poking through the large west-facing windows in the hall where the thermostat lived. So for myself, I calculate that I'm on a six/seven year payback and as such could justify the installation (which I did myself) purely in financial terms. Nontheless, it's the enhanced comfort and convenience that makes the system pretty indispensable in my eyes.
          In this thread, but also in others, I've seen opinions voiced regarding a couple of areas with which I disagree. Firstly, on the dreaded question of optimisation, my experience is that it works brilliantly as far as the "early on" is concerned and I regard this as one of the best features. The "early off" I must admit that I don't use as I'd rather spend a few pence on heating than experience a premature reduction in temperature, although that rarely occurred. Secondly, in respect of the ease of operation of the system, while the app may take some getting used to (and if the Android version asks me for a name/password again, I may have to bill Honeywell for a smashed tablet), I find the controller entirely straightforward. As with all these semi-technical things, you will always get a group of people who take a perverse delight in their supposed inability to operate these things. It's funny how you run into those who say that they were never any good at maths but very rarely those who profess a lack of facility with English.

Comment

• rotor
            Automated Home Guru
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
            Will I buy it again? Probably not, because as my wife and I approach our 70s the amount of fiddling about with HR92s; re-setting the controller etc is not a legacy that I would like to leave my wife with. She is happy that Evohome works but she has no interest in, or knowledge of, how it works.
            I feel the same way, and I'm in my 40s! Fabulous in terms of comfort, extremely frustrating in lack of reliability.

Comment

• rotor
              Automated Home Guru
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
              I would be wary of believing putting a new boiler in will save you money. The life expectancy of many boilers is 8 to 10 years it seems, sometimes less. So that the savings in fuel cost will never be as much as the replacement cost. There are of course, many heating bods out there that will want to persuade you otherwise! They will tell you parts are no longer available. My boiler is 20 years old. Parts are still available. I have just bought a new fan that I’ll install as judging by the sound change of my existing one it is on the way out. My own service people always tell me to keep the current one as long as it works. I shall wait until I really have to change. It will then be an Intergas boiler.
              Oh I'm not expecting the fuel savings to pay for the cost of the replacement! But it would be nice if some of the cost was offset. My main concern with a ten year-old boiler is that it will fail at the worst possible moment (middle of winter or when I'm away) and cost a fortune in emergency repairs. Replacing it is equivalent to some preventive maintenance.

Comment

• peterf
                Automated Home Guru
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by rotor View Post
                I feel the same way, and I'm in my 40s! Fabulous in terms of comfort, extremely frustrating in lack of reliability.
                Interesting. Installed mine in August 2014. Never had to reset, never had any comms problems. It's just worked flawlessly.
                Unlike the app of course. Although a lot of that looks as though the problems are at the server end and not with the app itself.

Comment

• gordonb3
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Dec 2016

Had some hick-ups myself lately. At one point I found that the clock on the main unit was 20+ minutes behind. Did need to reset the main unit another four times in the last few months to make it open the main valve again.

I'm on city heating and it's hard to translate Joule units into cubic meters (someone mentioned kWh at the start of this thread???). I don't actually have decreased usage as far as I can tell though. But I do get a lot more comfort, which as a home worker means I don't have to put on an extra sweater and there is no more stiff fingers. One downside of the system as far as I'm concerned is that it is not aware of the fact that I do not have any startup costs when opening the main valve. Being limited to a maximum of twelve switch points per hour on that main valve essentially just limits the comfort that the system could give me.

Over all I'm still quite happy with the system and it turns out that resetting it is extremely easy with this particular version as I only need to connect it to an unpowered base station, which is something I can explain to any non-techie.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

I have no issues with reliability. Not since I stopped playing with it!

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Oh I'm not expecting the fuel savings to pay for the cost of the replacement! But it would be nice if some of the cost was offset. My main concern with a ten year-old boiler is that it will fail at the worst possible moment (middle of winter or when I'm away) and cost a fortune in emergency repairs. Replacing it is equivalent to some preventive maintenance.
                      When it fails don’t panic. Mostly parts are available and usually simple to replace yourself. If messing about with the gas supply then it’s a no as then the regulations in the U.K. dictate you have to be registered to meddle. I thought I was Corgi registered because I had Corgi cars to play with as a child but apparently that’s something different.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                        When it fails don’t panic. Mostly parts are available and usually simple to replace yourself. If messing about with the gas supply then it’s a no as then the regulations in the U.K. dictate you have to be registered to meddle. I thought I was Corgi registered because I had Corgi cars to play with as a child but apparently that’s something different.
                        If you read the regulations very carefully, they don't actually prohibit someone who is not gas safe registered from working on their own system.

They do prohibit you from doing the work on behalf of a company who performs such work for paying customers, and also for doing the work yourself (self employed) for someone else for payment. In other words doing the work for payment or as a commercial activity or job. But it is not against the regs to do the work for yourself in your own home any more than it is against regulations to rewire a 3 pin socket yourself.

I'm sure Dan will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong, but seriously, check the exact wording of the regulations.

I'm not suggesting its a good idea, nor do I endorse it. And whilst I think I could do the work myself safely with the right tools, (some way to test for leaks properly afterwards is my main concern) I still choose not to touch or work on gas lines myself because I don't want to get involved in it. I'll stick to the plumbing and electronics side thank you very much.
                        Last edited by DBMandrake; 15 February 2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

Ta. Yes I had assumed the gas point and not bothered to check it first! Ought to have done. The electricity ones I looked at a long time ago and one day must refresh my brain. I know there used to be an odd provision in them in that I can change a socket, light switch etc. myself, but if it is my bathroom or kitchen that is being refitted I can’t, yet after the refit I am allowed to change a socket. None of it is rocket science - other than wiring up all the controls for central heating! But then taking it slowly and logically, and doing what we males are prone not to do - RTFB - it is OK.

Comment

• CT1
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Apr 2016

My first house was new and the gas had to be checked before the meter was connected. The inspection for leaks included a lighted match and I was shown a joint with a flame coming from it. After that demonstration of professional work, I did a few of my own gas jobs, having them checked by Corgi registered people, never had a problem. Also had useful advice from BG technical department at times. Would not bother these days, to much hassel

Comment

• rvb99
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by nigethechap View Post
                              We have a wood burning stove in the lounge. I'm just worried i'm over using the heating.
                              What do you guys think to this schedule ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1218[/ATTACH]
                              We have an open chimney in our lounge, but I just set the Y87RF to a standard 21deg. If the chimney heats the room ok the radiators simply don’t come on . For me Evohome is more about comfort and controllability than saving money, although the ability to easily turn on/off and reprogram zones does provide a fair amount of savings. Previously I would have been too lazy to wonder around the house and reset each TRV manually.

Your active room temperatures would be mighty cold for me ❄️❄️❄️

Comment

Working...
                              X