• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

EPCs based on RdSAP - Evohome

I am going through the process of a getting an EPC for our property. As it is a 2001 build, the EPC is based on RdSAP.

The surveyor was a pleasant enough guy but he really wasn't interested in my boiler or Evohome. Indeed, when pressed, he just shrugged his shoulders and said what I needed was a full SAP survey. My reading of the latest RdSAP guidelines suggests that houses with 2 or more time/temperature controlled zones will have these taken into account in the final calculation. It also suggests that I should have been asked about such mundane things as the commissioned/design boiler max flow temperature. My boiler settings parameter has been set at 70C max flow.

The only reason that I am making a fuss is because I would like the EPC to be accurate, and I would have thought that Evohome/Opentherm (class 8 ErP) would have had some impact on the EPC calculation.

Its making me wonder whether I should pay to have Evohome disconnected and take it with me if we decide to sell.
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

When I had mine done, my surveyor did mention individual room zoning on the report.

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

Thanks Bruce. My guy had written down that I had a B - rated boiler in his notes and no pump! I pointed out, amongst other things, that my boiler is actually ‘A+’ rated with Opentherm control and that the pump is located within the boiler casing and not in the airing cupboard.

When I raised my concerns with my Estate Agent, as he is their assessor of choice, the response was ‘he is available and quick’! I would probably add ‘incompetent and cheap’. The assessor has since admitted that he isn’t up to speed on the December 2017 changes.

Having looked at recent EPCs for similar properties in my area, I am looking forward to being told that I need to spend Ł8000 on floor insulation to save Ł80 a year. A bargain.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

If there is no visible pump, was he expecting mains pressure to circulate the CH water?

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          If there is no visible pump, was he expecting mains pressure to circulate the CH water?
          He rang me this afternoon to say that he had inputted all his data for my timber-framed house, and his was running the EPC. He went very quiet when I pointed out that my home is standard brick and breeze block construction with cavity insulation. I hadn’t the heart to ask about the pump. My Estate Agent has agreed to another audit at their expense.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Did he not spot the cling film used as double glazing too?

Comment

• filbert
              Automated Home Guru
              • Oct 2017

Do any prospective buyers take any notice of the EPC? It's just another job creation scheme but I suppose it keeps some folks off the streets.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

The EPC makes a difference if you are planning on getting any Grants.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

You also need it for a FIT application if you have solar panels or any other form of microgeneration.

Comment

• HenGus
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • May 2014

And if you intend to let a property. It's a growth industry....

Comment

• dty
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                      the response was ‘he is available and quick’!
                      That tells you everything you need to know right there. If they're available, it's because they have no bookings, and that's because they're either too expensive, or no good, or both.

Comment

• HenGus
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • May 2014

Things have moved on a bit. The assessor is now refusing to register his EPC assessment as he is worried that I might contest it. He is adamant that he has never seen a house with any form of smart heating controls so how was he supposed to know that it is zoned?

Out-of-interest, does anyone know why the Boiler Plus 2018 regulations (applicable from 1 April 2018) have the following caveats:

Combi boiler installations must also include one of the following: Weather compensation, Load compensation, Flue Gas Heat Recovery, Smart controls.

It would seem that the above does not apply to system boilers.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

Surely "Flue Gas Heat Recovery" just means that it is a condensing boiler... so does that mean any condensing combi boiler will pass without needing weather compensation, load compensation or smart controls ?

Comment

• HenGus
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • May 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                            Surely "Flue Gas Heat Recovery" just means that it is a condensing boiler... so does that mean any condensing combi boiler will pass without needing weather compensation, load compensation or smart controls ?
                            Not as I read it - but I may be wrong:

Worcester Bosch is dedicated to delivering homes with efficient heating systems. A-rated Greenstar condensing boilers and renewable energy products.

Comment

• HenGus
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • May 2014

Looking at various websites, it looks to me as if Evohome is treated under EPC rules as ‘2 or more heating zones’ which if added to a single zone system would increase an EPC rating by 5 - as indeed would two CH zone valves and upstairs and downstairs thermostats.

An adjacent house to mine which, from the published 2017 EPC, has the original boiler; no low energy lighting etc and comes in with an EPC of 64 with the potential to get it up to 75. The bit that I don’t understand is that if owner carried out all the suggested improvements, the total of the individual increases adds up 21, of which 10 alone relate to 2.5kWp of Solar panels, but the overall rating only increases by 11. Where did the missing increase of 10 go?

Theoretically, my property should be in the region of EPC 64 plus 3 for LE lighting plus 5 for ‘A’ rated boiler plus 10 for PV Solar plus 5 for zoning. When the calculation is finally run, I doubt that I will see anything close to 87.

I see that the latest WB zone system (EasyControl) is offering control of 20 zones. That said, the TRVs will never win a design award. They are square and ugly. Going for 2 zones if an EPC does seem to be well behind the roll out of technology.

Comment

Working...
                              X