• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stewarty
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2018

Ideal Vogue C32 Gen2 with Evohome

Hi guy's, first post so please forgive if this has been asked before

I am getting an Ideal Vogue C32 Gen2 boiler fitted next weekend and want to control it with Evohome, I have already got the connected thermostat pack with the BDR91, HR92s and the R8810A1018 opentherm bridge.

My heating engineer is experienced with the boilers but told me he has never fitted an Evohome controller before so the question is how difficult is it to connect Evohome to this boiler.

The boiler has a connection for an opentherm bridge so I was hoping it was a case of connecting the R8810 to this and configuring the system to use it.

Do I need the BDR91 and the opentherm bridge connected or just the R8810, After reading lots of posts on this forum I am quite comfortable with binding everything but just dont have a clue the best way to connect it to the boiler

Any advice would be appeciated

Stewart
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

If you were using the OT Bridge, you wouldn't use a BDR91 as a Boiler relay too - it's one or the other and that is configured in the control panel. You may still need BDR91s to operate the zone valves. But that depends on your configuration. Just make sure you clear all binding of all the BDR91, regardless - and then bind them as required. The pre-bound BDR91 as a boiler relay and the fact that each BDR91 can be multi bound causes all sorts of issues.
    Just be warned that some Ideals are known not to play nicely with Honeywell OT controls. Maybe you will report better success and the fact that Ideal have now fixed the issues.
    Last edited by bruce_miranda; 29 April 2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Stewarty
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2018

Thanks Bruce

Initially I would be happy with a basic working system until I can get my head round it all so not too fussy if I have to use just the BDR91 and try the opentherm bridge later but if it was not too complicated I might ask the fitter to try it first and use the BDR91 as a plan B if we can't figure it out.
      A couple more questions I have are

The only zone valves I have will be the HR92's so would the opentherm bridge control these without needing the BDR91

As both the bathroom towel radiators don't have TVR's and will be used as a by pass will I also need a room thermostat to control the temperature on
      these

Hopefully Ideal have now fixed the bugs that's why I went for the Gen2 but not holding my breath

Stewart

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

room stats on their own achieve nothing in a Evohome set up. So those rads without TRVs will just head up whenever any other rad calls for heat.

Comment

• Stewarty
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          room stats on their own achieve nothing in a Evohome set up. So those rads without TRVs will just head up whenever any other rad calls for heat.
          So once all the HR92's reach temperature the boiler will shut down, I assumed that because the bathroom radiators didn't have TVR's the boiler would keep running as these radiators will not be controlled and would need to use the thermostat as a zone for these or if for any reason I just wanted the bathroom on I could use the thermostat to call for heat on these
          Last edited by Stewarty; 29 April 2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

The boiler needs to be asked to come on. When all the HR92s close, there is no more heat demand. Those rads may get hot when there is only HW demand, depending on the pipework - which may be a desired outcome.

Comment

• Stewarty
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Apr 2018

Hi Guy's just a quick update now boiler has been fitted so anyone thinking about the same setup will know how well it works
              On the whole I am very impressed with this setup although we had a few teething problems but that was mainly due to the sparky not being familiar with the opentherm bridge and how to connect it as there is a terminal block in the boiler that needs to be disconnected from where the timer would go and reconnected to the plug beside the PCB .... try as we might we could not find one end of it but eventually worked out it was behind the blanking plate for the timer and you just have to unplug the link wire and push the terminal block through the hole and reconnect it to the plug that powers the opentherm bridge the other problem we had once the system was commissioned was we could not get the bridge to control the heating so after much head scratching and numerous factory resets etc we eventually worked out that the sparky had removed the link wire that you would normally connect the BDR91 to so once this was back in place everything is now working as it should.

Reading another 18 page post from last year from someone who had the same setup and wanted to be able to control heating temperature from the boiler but couldn't as the opentherm bridge over rode it and it was always 80 deg regardless of of what you set it at and after a lot of emails to ideal they fitted a different PCB for him I can confirm that the new Ideal vogue Gen2 must now have this board as standard as out of curiosity I set the boiler control to 65 deg and it only went within a couple of degrees higher so maybe quite handy for the summer months when you don't really want it running at full pelt

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Excellent, so Ideal have fixed their boilers. Viesmann, what's stopping you?

Comment

• robj20
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Aug 2017

I have this exact setup, C32 gen 2 with opentherm and evohome. My installed had never fitted any of it before but said it was very easy. Opentherm is just 2 wires which is well documented in the boiler manual.
                  Then you just bind it to the evohome controller and away it goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X