• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old_Codger
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2017

Evohome - need to add a roomstat

I'm a complete newcomer to this technology and but need to improve temperature control in our living room. To do this I think I need to add a room stat

The living room has two radiators connected to an Evohome system(supplied and installed professionally by an approved installer about 6 months ago) At present one of the valves (HR92s) is the thermostat. However this leads to problems as it is low down in the room. With the lounge door open this is OK, but with the lounge door shut the roomover heats (23-24 at head height when seated). This seems to be because warm air builds up with the door closed but nearer the floor the temperature stays "cooler" (Setpoint 19C)

Mrs Codger is fed up not being able to control the temperature in the room, so I am wondering if adding a roomstat would work. If so which one do i need? I like the look of the Lyric T6 but I don't think that is compatible with the Evohome system. Does the Circular Y87 work with Evohome or am i stuck with the butt ugly DT92E's (OK for a hall but not in the lounge)

Once I have found a suitable stat - how easy is it to add it the "living room" zone? Do I have to delete the zone and rebuild it (if so in what order do I pair the devices) or can I add it and reassign the "controlling device"?

Thanks in advance

OC
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

This might help:

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Old_Codger View Post
      I'm a complete newcomer to this technology and but need to improve temperature control in our living room. To do this I think I need to add a room stat

The living room has two radiators connected to an Evohome system(supplied and installed professionally by an approved installer about 6 months ago) At present one of the valves (HR92s) is the thermostat. However this leads to problems as it is low down in the room. With the lounge door open this is OK, but with the lounge door shut the roomover heats (23-24 at head height when seated). This seems to be because warm air builds up with the door closed but nearer the floor the temperature stays "cooler" (Setpoint 19C)

Mrs Codger is fed up not being able to control the temperature in the room, so I am wondering if adding a roomstat would work.
      Yes a remote sensing wall mounted thermostat will absolutely help with your problem. The wall stat should be mounted about 1.2 metres above the floor, on an inside wall, at least 1.5 metres from the nearest radiator, out of direct sunlight and if possible somewhere near your normal seating position. You'll find it makes a massive improvement to keeping a constant comfortable temperature at your seating position, and we have done the same in our living room.

With the remote thermostat I now use the same setpoint (20.5) year round and find it maintains a comfortable temperature - with the HR92 as the sensor I was having to change the set point by 2 degrees or more depending on outside conditions.
      If so which one do i need? I like the look of the Lyric T6 but I don't think that is compatible with the Evohome system. Does the Circular Y87 work with Evohome or am i stuck with the butt ugly DT92E's (OK for a hall but not in the lounge)
      I don't think you can use the Lyric T6 but both the DTS92E and YT87RF can be used. If cost is more important to you go with the DTS92E (I have three of them) but if aesthetics are more important, get the YT87RF.

There are two other models of thermostat that also work - one with a mechanical dial and one with no adjustment at all, (sensor only) but they are old legacy models and are uglier than the DTS92E as well as expensive so probably not worth considering!

Once I have found a suitable stat - how easy is it to add it the "living room" zone? Do I have to delete the zone and rebuild it (if so in what order do I pair the devices) or can I add it and reassign the "controlling device"?
      If you have the newer Wifi controller its very easy.

Long press on settings to get into the installer menu, zone configuration, choose your zone, choose temperature sensor, remote sensor then bind your new sensor. No need to re-bind the HR92's or delete the zone or anything like that.

For the older model controller I think you have to go through the zone binding process from scratch. Someone else can probably help here as I haven't used the older model.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

The process is the same for the older model too. This may sound obvious, but it's best to install the room stat just above where you find yourself most often in that room. Let it sense what you are feeling....

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

Another option. Have you used up all the zones on the controller? If not just split the lounge into two zones and let each HR92 operate independently. I have this set up and it allows me to stagger the schedule of the two ends of the lounge.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

In my living room I use an YT87RF instead of the HR92s on the two radiators. Easier to use in a room that has frequent use and one with two radiators. I keep it on a coffee table, but well away from the radiators, windows and door. There is a resistance from another occupant of the house to having another gadget mounted on the wall!

Comment

• MrShamus
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Feb 2015

Another (cheaper) option is to use the Evohome controller as the temperature sensor in that zone...

Comment

• Old_Codger
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Dec 2017

First of all, many thanks to EVERYONE who replied. It was extremely helpful. I must also apologise for my lack of response - I was away for work and completely forgot about this.

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                Yes a remote sensing wall mounted thermostat will absolutely help with your problem. The wall stat should be mounted about 1.2 metres above the floor, on an inside wall, at least 1.5 metres from the nearest radiator, out of direct sunlight and if possible somewhere near your normal seating position. You'll find it makes a massive improvement to keeping a constant comfortable temperature at your seating position, and we have done the same in our living room.
                I have installed the YT87 stat as suggested above. Let’s see if Mrs Codger thinks the temperature is more "accurate".

I am left total confused by what Honeywell mean when they say the HR92’s “display the current temperature “ but I’ll start another thread on that…

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                If you have the newer Wifi controller it’s very easy.
                Long press on settings to get into the installer menu, zone configuration, choose your zone, choose temperature sensor, remote sensor then bind your new sensor. No need to re-bind the HR92's or delete the zone or anything like that.
                For the older model controller, I think you have to go through the zone binding process from scratch. Someone else can probably help here as I haven't used the older model.
                The binding process didn’t go like this. I followed the instructions in the YT87 box and set the stat into bind mode. When I got to the Evohome controller and put that into bind for the living room zone it stepped me through rebind the valves as well as the stat. Interestingly it would only let me put one valve into bind mode (the former “master”) - I do hope they have both connected properly. Is there anyway to find out what is connected to a zone?

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions and comments.

@MrShamus - using the evohome controller in the living room might have worked - if it wasn't being used in the hall!

@G4RHL - I do know what you mean, however Mrs Codger has a choice, comfort or gadget…

@bruce_miranda - I thought about splitting the zone but it would have been too complicated to manage, the family would have been forever fiddling with the schedules.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

You can split the zone and still have a single schedule as part of a multi room zone.

Comment

• Old_Codger
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                    You can split the zone and still have a single schedule as part of a multi room zone.
                    Ah - I didn't know that, I may try that in our kitchen which also has two rads. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X