New boiler day

Is it wrong to feel excited?

P.
  • chrisgare
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2013

It's just sad...

Here was my boiler update: http://www.mygasconsumption.com/upgrade.htm

It made a mega differance to our household.

Chris

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

Yes and no. You will see how much money you are saving just heating hot water, but you will also be a little frustrated by the fact that new boiler/Evohome central heating performance on a cold day will remain an unknown until the colder weather returns.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

Originally posted by chrisgare View Post
        It's just sad...

Here was my boiler update: http://www.mygasconsumption.com/upgrade.htm

It made a mega differance to our household.

Chris
        Magna flush only 30 minutes! Every radiator in my 19 radiator home was flushed through separately. It took a day and half with a large increase in my metered water bill.

I was also surprised by how much gas my old boiler pilot light used.

Comment

• dty
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Aug 2016

Chris, you're somewhere near me... judging from your plumber's van!

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Interesting resume. Thanks. The bit that troubles me is the concept of needing to upgrade the gas supply pipe. My boiler is coming up to 21 years old. Same age as the house. At the current boiler end of the supply the pipe looks to be the smaller 15mm although my service engineer mentioned it is possible that once it is exposed it may be it is stepped down to that. If it isn’t it will present a big problem as my meter is outside at the front of the house; the last thing I want is an ugly great gas pipe running across the front and round the outside of the house. I am not sure it will be possible to bring it under the floor in my case.

May have to abandon the thought of a Combi boiler. Then what? Go electric!!

Comment

• chrisgare
              Automated Home Guru
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
              Interesting resume. Thanks. The bit that troubles me is the concept of needing to upgrade the gas supply pipe. My boiler is coming up to 21 years old. Same age as the house. At the current boiler end of the supply the pipe looks to be the smaller 15mm although my service engineer mentioned it is possible that once it is exposed it may be it is stepped down to that. If it isn’t it will present a big problem as my meter is outside at the front of the house; the last thing I want is an ugly great gas pipe running across the front and round the outside of the house. I am not sure it will be possible to bring it under the floor in my case.

May have to abandon the thought of a Combi boiler. Then what? Go electric!!
              I was told that new regulations demand a 22mm gas pipe to the boiler. My meter is on the outside of the house but luckily it is near the boiler. Unfortunately, my electric meter is on the opposite side of the house so it was not possible to 'earth' the gas pipe which caused an issue when I had to update the earthing cable around the fuse box as I refused to have a cable around 3/4 of the outside of my house or have the whole ground floor up! It ended up as a recommendation in the certificate only.

Note: dty I can't send you a private msg as you private msg box is full it seems.

Comment

• dty
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by chrisgare View Post
                dty I can't send you a private msg as you private msg box is full it seems.
                Sorted....

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                  Is it wrong to feel excited?

P.
                  What did you get?

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                    What did you get?
                    Intergas Eco RF 36, with a 120L pre-heat tank on the DHW side that I'll heat using excess PV. May put another tank in the CH loop at some point to further mop up summer generation once the DHW tank is up to temp, although obviously that'll confuse evohome/opentherm!.

Currently being installed by Dan's friend 'The Fat Plumber' ;-)

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

OpenTherm I hope ?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

So it's being set up as a System Boiler then?

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

Nope. Combi. But with (when the sun's shining) hot water being fed to the boiler on the DHW side, so the boiler doesn't have to add much/any heat.

Not all boilers allow this, but Intergas is fine with up to 60 degrees.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

What are the advantages of running it in this configuration as opposed to a Stored HW solution? Is it simply that you aren't wasting any energy by Storing it, until you actually need it? Also how does the Header tank gets mains pressure? Is that pressurised?

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

Advantage is that the tank doesn't need to be kept at a set temperature, so I can use my PV mop-up in an effective manner.

It's not a header tank - it's a 120L unvented cylinder, just before the boiler DHW input. At mains pressure.

So if there's been no/little sun the tank might be quite cool and the boiler will go full-pelt. But if it's been sunny the boiler might not need to come on at all.

I'll be monitoring temps in the tank, and if it hasn't had a consistent 60+ for an hour over the past 7 days I'll run a manual legionella cycle. Not sure whether to do this via the immersion, or from the boiler (the guys are also connecting the coil in the tank to the heating side of the boiler via a zone valve. I thought I'd re-use my existing Evohome DHW kit to monitor/control this.

Comment

Working...
                              X