048 I --- 07:040114 --:------ 07:040114 1260 003 0016D1

Comment

• Jabes
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Jabes View Post
      I think the message is 1260, and I see this in my log:

048 I --- 07:040114 --:------ 07:040114 1260 003 0016D1
      Just spent a little while exploring the code on GitHub. I can see that these messages will be ignored. The code looks like it asks the controller to report the DHW temperature, which it isn't doing - or isn't getting a response.

I think my controller id is right - it is in the form 064e7d (01:151165) - I put 064e7d in the configuration. I assume if it was wrong I wouldn't see anything.

I think I need to get the domoticz debug messages... which look like they need a debug build.

Any ideas gratefully received but I've actually got work to do today so will leave it for now.

Comment

• Jabes
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Aug 2017

Well so much for work. Have spent a happy couple of hours this afternoon understanding the code. It seems that it ignores the temperature reports directly from the hot water sensor (which I can see, and copied above) - and instead makes a request of the controller to send an update.

However, I am not sure that any outbound messages from my HGI80 are being acted upon. I wonder if it is broken?
        Talking directly to the device and sending a copy of the message I can see domoticz trying to send:

RQ - 18:730 1:151165 -:- 1260 001 00

...doesn't result in any particular response. Because I'm not sure in what format the other responses are meant to come I'm not sure if any of the outbound requests are being received... and that makes it difficult to know if they are not being sent or not being received :-)

I take it the HGI80 doesn't echo back? (when I send the command above I don't see anything)...?

Comment

• Jabes
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Aug 2017

Further investigation - connecting to the HGI80 directly, pulling the plug on it and putting it back in I now see echoes to my RQ responses! I guess the HGI80 had got itself into a funny state. Rebooting the raspberry pi didn't clear it, only dropping the power entirely.

So, I think we are up and running!

And I've learnt a lot about how to build domoticz, and how to talk to my evohome system - so that's a bonus!

Comment

• DanD
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Feb 2016

Hi Jabes,

Apologies for not responding sooner due to travel. The HGI80 can sometimes get into this state i.e. it rejects any message send requests if it gets too many requests within a short period of time. I'm not sure what the limit is, but I think it's part of the firmware and its wireless certification. As you found, interrupting the USB link and re-connecting seems to be the only way to fix it. Incidentally, I think a Domoticz bug a while ago which has now been fixed, caused a similar problem and it was only noticeable because temperature setpoint changes made within Domoticz were ignored.

Regards,

Dan

Comment

• Jabes
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by DanD View Post
              Hi Jabes,

Apologies for not responding sooner due to travel. The HGI80 can sometimes get into this state i.e. it rejects any message send requests if it gets too many requests within a short period of time. I'm not sure what the limit is, but I think it's part of the firmware and its wireless certification. As you found, interrupting the USB link and re-connecting seems to be the only way to fix it. Incidentally, I think a Domoticz bug a while ago which has now been fixed, caused a similar problem and it was only noticeable because temperature setpoint changes made within Domoticz were ignored.
              Hi Dan,

Thanks for confirming my findings. Now I've found my way around the code I might be able to do some things with it! This situation looks like it is detectable - I now notice that when you send the 'RQ' it gets echoed back (in a slightly different format). It should be possible to check for this response and if not issued then give some assistance to the user.

I'm using the HGI80 remotely over a LAN, and there was no guidance about how to set it up in the wiki - not sure how to edit this but I used ser2net, currently set to logging. Can anyone just edit the wiki?

TRACEFILE:trace1:/var/log/ser2net.hgi80.log
              5001:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT tb=trace1

Comment

• dty
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Aug 2016

Are you using ser2net at the HGI80 end, and also at the Domoticz end to make a local PTY? If so, I committed some code to Domoticz about a year ago which may or may not be released yet (i.e. you might need to build from source if you're interested) which allows the Domoticz Evohome driver to connect directly to the ser2net TCP port, thereby eliminating the need for having another instance running locally. Doesn't directly help your situation, but allows the elimination of one more moving part! (And allows Domoticz to run inside Docker, which doesn't seem to allow the mounting of PTY devices, which was my actual use-case for developing this.)

Comment

• Jabes
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by dty View Post
                  Are you using ser2net at the HGI80 end, and also at the Domoticz end to make a local PTY? If so, I committed some code to Domoticz about a year ago which may or may not be released yet (i.e. you might need to build from source if you're interested) which allows the Domoticz Evohome driver to connect directly to the ser2net TCP port, thereby eliminating the need for having another instance running locally.
                  Yes, I am using the latest betas and these have an HGI80 over Lan option. I used this from day one as I have domoticz running on a virtual machine, and the HGI80 connected to an old Raspberry Pi in the centre of the house over powerline network. I didn't find any guidance for how to configure ser2net so had to take a guess which was why I was asking about how to update the wiki above - I assume it is either 'raw' or 'rawlp' (probably makes little odds now I've seen how the protocol worked - initially I was afraid it would require an 8-bit clean path)

Best wishes
                  James

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

Can you explain briefly how to set this up? Domoticz runs on a NAS in an upstairs corner of my house so the HGI80 placement isn’t optimal.

I've got loads of RPis around - I’m guessing a Pi Zero W would be good, not needing Ethernet. I've just never done the remote USB thing before.

Ta.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

Remote RPI with the HGI80 connected to it.

On the NAS with Domoticz you choose the Evohome via LAN Hardware and then point it to the RPI address and the ser2net port.

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

So the remote Pi needs the faffing around installing the HGI80 drivers?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2014

Yes because the remote Pi needs to see the serial device. ser2net just uses your network as a very long physical cable.

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

Someone needs to create a Pi image with the drivers installed....

....oh, I did, didn't I !!!!

P.

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

After a few configuration issues I got it working - thanks!

I did notice that Domoticz has a bit of a strop if the remote end isn't sending properly. Completely locked up a couple of times.

P.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jul 2014

I have noticed that too. Which is why I have abandoned this approach. I don't think a lot of people use it and so it hasn't been developed much. In my case I am lucky that my rack is built in the loft where my boiler is, so I don't need this.

Comment

Working...
                                X