• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • actionorton
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2006

New Setup, Total Newbie. pleas advise

Just bought a new house and want to install a security sytem along with automating various features. I also want to try and controll most of the stuff using an all in one remote and maybe my pc.

X10 seems to be the way forward (if im wrong please let me know).

I have rather a tight budget and want to install a nice simple alarm system first which i can then tie into automating other features in my home.

The two systems that seem to stand out are Marmitek safe gaurd and Visonic powermax

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: New Setup, Total Newbie. pleas advise

Go for the Visonic Powemax Plus. This has a web server module which you can buy at a later date. This allows you to define your automation settings so you can control lights etc via the web. Also you can connect up to 4 cameras. IF the cameras are not IP ones then they have to be the ones by Visonic. The web server allows for very easy set up of the IP cameras. You can select most of the alram functions via the web.
    The manual that comes with the Visonic isn't the best and you do need to re-read it often when installing sensors.
    X10 is a good starting point.
    I have an X10 system that has been fairly reliable. Some things I do recommend though are:
    1 Get a whole house X10 filter such as an FD10 . This filters out unwanted noise on your incomming mains and stops you sending X10 signals down the mains cable to the rest of your street.
    2. Start off small and build up. Doing to much at once can lead to problems when fault finding.
    3. Some form of signal checker to check signal to noise ratio can save hours of fustration when things don't work. But these are not cheap.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• actionorton
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2006

Thanks Toscal.

I am going to go for the Visonic Powermax. It really seems to be the one every one is pushing and i think you have made the desicion for me :-) .
      Just wasnt sure on how good it was towards x10.
      I will order today and also look at getting a filter.

I wouldnt mind getting a remote control for my whole AV equipment but im not sure which would be best. I need it to be able to controll X10, Sky+, Pioneer Plasma, Sony Amp, DVD Player. I know some remotes wont do Sky+ have you any ideas?

Comment

• freville
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Jul 2006

I wouldnt mind getting a remote control for my whole AV equipment but im not sure which would be best. I need it to be able to controll X10, Sky+, Pioneer Plasma, Sony Amp, DVD Player. I know some remotes wont do Sky+ have you any ideas
        I wonder? Yep I mean the same. Having you thank me.[/quote]
        Chris Freville
        Solihull

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

I use a Logitech Harmony 895. Can do just about everything. The only thing I don't like is that you need to conenct to the internet to update it everytime.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X