2018 was an interesting year for us. We moved out of the Automated Home in October and our End of an Era announcement was your #3 most popular post of the year. It’s great to see you’re all along for the ride with our AutomatedHome 2.0 project too, with the first 3 posts from our new series following the build all in your top 20 too.
We shared Glyn Hudson’s post from the exciting Open Energy Monitor project back in June and it was your 20th most read post of the year.
The latest Loxone case study of a stunning installation in Dorset whetted your appetite too with some serious smart home porn at #17.
Ironically we finally got Fibre to the Premises installed in the Automated Home just a few months before we sold up (your #12). Mind you I think that may have been one of the factors that helped to sell the house.
Heating control is always a popular topic and this year was no exception with the new Tado v3 appearing at number 4 and Mark Boyle’s 1 year Drayton Wiser update making it into the top 10 too.
My reviews of the new MacBook Pro (update: the touch bar is just a useless gimmick), the Franken-cam and the Freeview Network tuner all made it into the top 10 as well.
One of my personal favourite smart home products of 2018, the Google Home Hub is your #9. This is a great value little unit, especially for the bedside and is well worth checking out.
One of our least expensive ‘Gadget’s of the Week’, the Samotech light switch cover for Philips Hue dimmer, made it all the way to #2.
But your number 1 most read post for 2018 was on the brand new Wondrwall UK Smart Home System that installs by changing your light switches.
Check out your entire top 20 below. Thank you for your support again and a Happy New Year to you all!
20. Open Energy Monitor Home Automation Hub with MQTT, nodeRED, OpenHAB & LightwaveRF
19. Automated Home 2.0 – #01 The Pre-Move Sort, Sell, Salvage, Purge & Pack
18. 13 Videos That Show Off the Best Tech of CES 2018
17. Case Study: Stunning Dorset Property Gets The Loxone Smart Home Treatment
16. Vortical Tech’s Hybrid Tesla Turbine Generates Electricity from Your Home Water Usage
15. Automated Home 2.0 – #02 The Checklists We Used to Move House
14. Fibaro Sold to Nice Italians
13. Automated Home 2.0 – #03 What Tech Is Good Enough to Take to the New Build?
12. Setting Up Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) at the Automated Home
11. Faradite Launches Volt-Free PIR Motion Sensor That’s as Small as a GU10 Spotlight
10. Sonoff RF Bridge Converts 433MHz Devices to WiFi For Smartphone Control
09. Review: New Google Home Hub – Perfect Smart Display For Your Bedroom?
08. Drayton Wiser Smart Heating Controls Review Part 4 – 1 Year Older & Much Wiser
07. Review: How My New 2018 15″ MacBook Pro Stacks Up Against My Mid-2012 Model it’s Replacing
06. Setting Up a Plex Freeview Network DVR with Silicondust HDHomeRun
05. Franken-Cam: DJI Osmo Mobile 2 with Zoom H1n, Rode External Mic, iPhone X & GoPro
04. tado Reveal New V3+ Smart Home Thermostats
03. The End of an Era for Automated Home
02. Useful Gadget of the Week: Samotech Light Switch Cover for Philips Hue Dimmer
01. New Wondrwall UK Smart Home System Installs by Changing Your Light Switches
BONUS: Top 10 Purchased Items
Check out the top 10 most popular items bought through our Amazon Affiliate store below. This remains the easiest way you can support the site – thank you!
10. Sonoff WiFi Smart Remote Control Wireless Switch Module
09. Rode VideoMicro Compact On Camera Microphone
08. Megaman Dimming GU10 6 Watt LED Light Bulb
07. Philips Hue LightStrip Plus 2 m Colour Changing Dimmable LED Smart Kit
06. Drayton Wiser Radiator Thermostat
05. Silicondust HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO Network DVB-T/T2 TV Tuner
04. Drayton Wiser Multizone Kit 2 – Heating & Hot Water
03. TP-Link Kasa Smart WiFi Plug with Energy Monitoring
02. Qubino Z-Wave ZMNHSD1 Din Rail Dimmer
01. Samotech SM200 Light Switch Cover for Philips Hue Dimmer