Converting video formats is one of the banes of the digital home. Transcoding video files to .mp4 format (H.264) to work on the unmolested Apple TV for example can be a royal pain. Mac users have long had the solution in VisualHub (although sadly no longer in development). In a recent episode of the Windows Weekly podcast there was a recommendation for “FormatFactory” and after some playing with this free app, it does indeed appear to be the windows tool I’ve been looking for.
“FormatFactory is a multifunctional media converter. Provides functions below:
- All to MP4/3GP/MPG/AVI/WMV/FLV/SWF.
- All to MP3//WMA/MMF/AMR/OGG/M4A/WAV.
- All to JPG/BMP/PNG/TIF/ICO/….
- Rip DVD to video file , Rip Music CD to audio file.
- MP4 files support iPod/iPhone/PSP/BlackBerry format.
- Source files support RMVB.
- Support converting all popular video,audio,picture formats to others.
- Repair damaged video and audio file.
- Reducing Multimedia file size.
- Support iphone,ipod multimedia file formats.
- Picture converting supports Zoom,Rotate/Flip,tags.
- DVD Ripper.
- Supports 35 languages”
www.formatoz.com [Now www.pcfreetime.com]