Slingbox inventor, Blake Krikorian and Crestron today announced the release of the R2 Control App for Crestron, a software app that turns virtually any Android smart phone or tablet into a fully-functional Crestron touch panel for residential and commercial applications.
“R2 was initially unveiled at the Crestron booth at CEDIA Expo last September. Since then, R2 conducted a seven month private beta test program consisting of hundreds of residential, commercial and government Crestron-authorized integrators from around the world. The input from this beta team helped R2 achieve a sophisticated solution compatible with a multitude of Android devices.
R2 was developed by id8 Group Productions, a product development and technology lab. Co-founder and inventor of Emmy award-winning Slingbox, Blake Krikorian founded id8 Group Holdings (parent company of id8 Group Productions) in 1999. R2 is the first product developed by id8 Group since Slingbox expanded in 2004 to form Sling Media, Inc. Sling Media® was subsequently acquired by Echostar Corporation in 2007.
“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to collaborate with an innovator like Blake and officially support Android,” says Robin van Meeuwen, VP of Sales and Marketing for Crestron International. “The R2 control app for Android is the latest development in our ongoing open-standards platform which also includes integration with iOS, MAC OSX and Windows.”
Krikorian initially conceived of R2 for his own use. “In addition to being able to control aspects of my home via Crestron remote controls and iOS devices, I really wanted to be able to use my new Android-based phone,” says Krikorian. “I desired a software platform that allowed me to further optimize the home control experience for general purpose smart phones and tablets, beyond the industry’s current state of the art. R2 and Android provides the flexibility to do just that.”
R2 Key Features
- Communicates with Crestron 2-Series and 3-Series™ control systems via WiFi and cellular network
- Controls multiple systems/homes from one Android device
- Uses the same Crestron development tools to create projects for R2. R2 touch panel projects are created using the existing and familiar development tools such as SIMPL Windows, VTPro-e®, D3 Pro® and System Builder.
- Compatible with Crestron Mobile Pro®/Mobile Pro G™ apps: runs projects created for iOS devices
- Quick access: ability to disable screen unlock requirement; Device’s built-in proximity sensor can automatically wake device
- Automatic project UI scaling: resizes Mobile Pro and Mobile Pro G projects to the native resolution of any Android device
- Visual, haptic and audible feedback: provides clear confirmation of key presses
- Optimized performance for Android: takes advantage of Android’s multitasking and flexibility to deliver an experience optimized for home and building control
- Support for multiple and custom resolutions: in addition to R2’s built-in UI display scalar, an upcoming VTPro-e add-on (coming soon) enables developers to optionally create pixel-perfect projects for any screen size.