With the arrival of the new MacBook Pro I was looking for a second mains charger, preferably one that would double up for travel duties too.
While I miss the safety of MagSafe, the lack of proprietary connector and new USB-C charging opens the doors for 3rd party power supplies.
After looking through lots of units at all sorts of prices I settled on the Tommox 4-Port USB type C charger with Power Delivery (PD) at £44.99 and ordered it from Amazon.
The Tommox looks almost identical to this more expensive Satechi Type-C 75W Travel Charger and costs a lot less than the Apple 87W USB-C power adaptor (£79.00). In addition it has 3 x Type A USB ports so is ideal for a bedside charger and for taking on the road too.
One other unit worth mentioning is the Nekteck 4-port 72W USB C Charger at just £29.99. I’ve not tried this one yet, but at that price it’s worth a punt and it seems to be well reviewed on Amazon.
- Rated power:75W
- USB-C PD Output: 5V3A, 9V3A, 15V3A, 18V3A, 20V3A 60W max
- USB-C QC 2.0 Output: 5V 2.4A, 9V 2A, 12V 1.5A
- USB-A QC3.0 Output: 3.6-6V/3A, 6-9V/2A, 9-12V/1.5A
- USB Standard Output: 5V2.4A Max per port
- Compatibility: for Mac 13’/15′,iPhone 8/7 / 6s / Plus, iPad Pro / Air 2 / mini, Galaxy S8 / S7 / S6 / Edge / Plus, Note 5 / 4, LG G6, Nexus, HTC and More