• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motor4all
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2020

Main zone turning off every day not turning back on

Hi,

I'm running the Evohome beta software but noticed that the main zone (the display) is now automatically turned off (gray in the display, setpoint to 5) at 13.00 since yesterday.
    There was nothing changed (by me) but the only difference is that the outside temperature is higher than the setpoint for that zone.
    This does make sense, but it never gives a command to start using the schedule for that zone.
    Also I can not simply turn that zone back to on. I will set it to continuous and than enable the program again.

Did someone already run into this issue?

Franz
  • DerekWilliamsUK
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2018

I think this is due to the new 'Warm Weather Compensation' option in action.
    Once the outside temperature drops below the 'offset threshold' of the setpoint, things should return to the usual schedule.

Comment

• motor4all
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2020

Okay, so that seems not to be working for me now.
      Is there a way to see into logs if it did not receive the right command to turn back on?

Comment

• RedEarth
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Jan 2021

Do we know what this warm weather offset threshold actually is? I remember there was quite a lot of discussion about the cold weather boost a while ago, and the setting was made adjustable in the 19.33 firmware.
        I've noticed warm weather mode kicking in on a couple of my zones recently so it would be good to understand what it's doing. I get the general idea of how it works, just not sure exactly when it should kick in.

Comment

• motor4all
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2020

@redearth: Does the warm weather mode also turns the affected zone back on? Yesterday the warm weather condition turned 2 zones off yesterday (outside temperature 23+) but now (8 in the morning) the outside temperature is down to 8 but the zones are not back 'turned on'

Comment

• RedEarth
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Jan 2021

Some of my zones are back on at the moment, but the zone where the evohome controller is located and used as the thermostat has remained in warm weather mode since Tuesday. Yesterday evening all zones were in warm weather mode except for the one with the lowest setpoint which seems a bit odd but everything is comfortable so I'm not too worried about it. Just curious.

Comment

• motor4all
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Dec 2020

Thanks! That is exactly the case here! The zone with the thermostat (Evohome display) stays in warm weather mode. What I also saw that is switched to warm weather mode 3 days in a row at exactly 13.00, since it will not be that warm today, I'll give it until 14.00 to 'recover'

Comment

• motor4all
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Dec 2020

Unfortunately no change in the zone setting at 13.00 (outside temperature is 11, inside is 21.5, original setpoint is 20.5)

Comment

• ally153
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Nov 2014

Originally posted by motor4all View Post
                  Unfortunately no change in the zone setting at 13.00 (outside temperature is 11, inside is 21.5, original setpoint is 20.5)
                  Once Warm Weather Saver is active in a zone, it doesn't cancel until the room temperature drops 0.5C below the current setpoint, based on the values you've mentioned the inside temperature is still higher than the setpoint, so Evo won't see a reason to kick itself out of this mode. There is no offset from outside temperature that is considered for warm weather saver - the mode is activated when the outside temperature gets close enough to or exceeds the zone's setpoint. The offset is only used by the Cold Weather Boost feature.

Comment

• motor4all
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Dec 2020

So Ally153, you say, I just have to wait until the room temperature drops to 19.5 in my case. That sounds cold ;-)

Comment

• Billywizzo
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Nov 2020

Mine has done similar. Last night it set the livingroom to 5 degrees but later it turned it back on. Today it has set a few to 5 degrees but not all.
                      I am sure this is all part of the smart weather settings
                      703C7BA5-2F53-4A54-91A3-6500EFF905C9.jpg
                      CB73979D-7F38-4F93-B2DE-D69C6BEA4E4F.jpg

Comment

• ally153
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by motor4all View Post
                        So Ally153, you say, I just have to wait until the room temperature drops to 19.5 in my case. That sounds cold ;-)
                        I've got winter boost to bring my setpoint up to 19.5 during the day...

If your setpoint is 20.5, the zone should come out of saver if the room temperature when the room drops below 20C. A override or toggling a quick action would clear any weather effects too.

Comment

• kevinsmart
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by ally153 View Post
                          Once Warm Weather Saver is active in a zone, it doesn't cancel until the room temperature drops 0.5C below the current setpoint, based on the values you've mentioned the inside temperature is still higher than the setpoint, so Evo won't see a reason to kick itself out of this mode. There is no offset from outside temperature that is considered for warm weather saver - the mode is activated when the outside temperature gets close enough to or exceeds the zone's setpoint. The offset is only used by the Cold Weather Boost feature.
                          Thanks for the insight @ally153, that explains what I am seeing.

What determines when warm weather saver is activated for a zone? I don’t think the outside temperature ever exceeded their set points, so I guess there is a threshold? Also it was my rooms that have more stable temperatures (less glazing) that appeared to activate.

Comment

• kevinsmart
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Sep 2018

What I also noticed is that if you make any adjustments to any zone’s schedule, warm weather saver is deactivated for all active zones.

Comment

• ally153
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by kevinsmart View Post
                              Thanks for the insight @ally153, that explains what I am seeing.

What determines when warm weather saver is activated for a zone? I don’t think the outside temperature ever exceeded their set points, so I guess there is a threshold? Also it was my rooms that have more stable temperatures (less glazing) that appeared to activate.
                              The feature is activated when the outside temperature gets close to or exceeds the room setpoint when the room temperature is already within 0.5C of setpoint. As you've noticed, the 'close to' threshold changes from room to room based on how the stat has calculated the heat loss of the room, so more stable rooms should kick into the mode sooner.

Originally posted by kevinsmart View Post
                              What I also noticed is that if you make any adjustments to any zone’s schedule, warm weather saver is deactivated for all active zones.
                              This is true - when you change the schedule it will re-calculate the system - which could lead zones to immediately go back into one of the weather modes, but if it's a different time of the day, will probably need another event to re-trigger warm weather saver again.

Comment

Working...
                              X