• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cchris
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Nov 2015

Range extender desperately needed.

I have today finally got round to getting the last two bathroom radiators installed. Unfortunately neither of the HR92'S can be seen by the controller.

If I move the controller to a position where it can see these valves, then it loses contact with others the opposite end of the house.

I already have two controllers, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. To add a third just for one particular end of the house is getting silly.

Why on earth do honeywell not provide a simple plug in range extender to solve the problem of being able to use this system without these sorts of issues in larger homes or those with stone walls etc?.

Has anyone found a way of extending the range on the HR92's or upping the sensitivity of the controller?
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

I'm nearly there...

Comment

• Cchris
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Nov 2015

Oh this would be brilliant. Please please let me be first guinea-pig.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
        Site Sponsor
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
        I'm nearly there...
        We are all ears...

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
          Site Sponsor
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Cchris View Post
          I have today finally got round to getting the last two bathroom radiators installed. Unfortunately neither of the HR92'S can be seen by the controller.

If I move the controller to a position where it can see these valves, then it loses contact with others the opposite end of the house.

I already have two controllers, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. To add a third just for one particular end of the house is getting silly.

Why on earth do honeywell not provide a simple plug in range extender to solve the problem of being able to use this system without these sorts of issues in larger homes or those with stone walls etc?.

Has anyone found a way of extending the range on the HR92's or upping the sensitivity of the controller?
          Why split the system into upstairs and downstairs? Why can't you have west and east split for instance, with each evohome Controller controlling upstairs and downstairs in each wing?

Comment

• Cchris
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Nov 2015

That's one idea we considered, but the boiler controls/wireless points are at one end of the house. So if we split it east and west, then the controller for the East "wing" would not be able to communicate with the boiler.

I've thought about trying to extend the connections for the receivers so that they are positioned in the centre of the house, but the route would mean going up to the loft, across roofs pace and back down. It would be circa 30-40m of cable on each and I'm unsure whether the resistance of the wire would cause any issues. Especially with the hot water sensor. Though that could be left on the West controller to avoid issue.

It would just be a heck of a lot easier if the system had an optional range extender so the system could be used in homes with range issues.

How long before insulation regulations for new build homes stipulate the use of foil backed and insulated plasterboard throughout and render the evohome useless in even modest size properties without a range extender?

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
              Site Sponsor
              • Dec 2014

That's one idea we considered, but the boiler controls/wireless points are at one end of the house. So if we split it east and west, then the controller for the East "wing" would not be able to communicate with the boiler.
              Have you tested this with an RF test? If I was doing this installation I would be considering all options including range to the BDR91's. Or as you said, bring the BDR91 a bit closer.

Comment

• Cchris
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Nov 2015

No RF test (other than the built in with the controller unit). Though the problem seems to lie with the range of the HR92's which I cant change the location of. A test from controller unit to the affected Zones, shows that the HR92's can see the controller (signal level 2), but the controller either receives poor or no signal from the HR92. Aside from relocating the BDR's to the centre of the house and splitting the house left/right, Ive come to the conclusion that the only other possible solutions are:

1) increase the signal output from the HR92 - how possible this is I dont know. Would involve altering the internal aerial or connecting a small external - though this may improve reception and not transmission

2) increase the sensitivity of the controller - again modifying with additional external aerial

3) await either homebrew or manufacturer release of a range extender.

I'd prefer to be able to keep the house split for upstairs and downstairs as it is just a lot more logical.

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

4) move the devices within range :-)
                  I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Cchris
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Nov 2015

Not possible. :-)

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                      Site Sponsor
                      • Dec 2014

How long before insulation regulations for new build homes stipulate the use of foil backed and insulated plasterboard throughout and render the evohome useless in even modest size properties without a range extender?
                      We actually did this in our house 'against' building regulations and I wish we hadn't as each room transmitts noise to the next a lot easier. Believe it or not, our evohome system works fine in this situation and we are circa 128m2 per floor. I appreciate sometimes it is hard to do exactly what you want when it comes to positioning of the evohome Controller, but I have personally done some pretty large houses and careful planning an positioning of the equipment including full and detailed RF testing pays dividends.

Comment

• Kevin
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                        I'm nearly there...
                        Is this still looking promising Paul ? If it works I'll be buying into EvoHome.

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

Sorry, been busy with other things. Should get some time soon.

Comment

• Cchris
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Nov 2015

Had a catch up with my installer the other day and he too is amazed that Honeywell don't do this as a plug in item.

If this project you are working on can be modified relatively easily to work with other systems that also don't have such an extender available, there could be a commercial market for it. Though I'll guess that would be a minefield getting it past all the regs regarding rf signals etc.

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

I'm using an HGI80 and a Raspberry Pi, so approvals won't be an issue, but (if I can get it working) it'll be Evohome specific.

P.

Comment

Working...
                              X