• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrichmond007
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2009

Heating and Water control

I know this has probably been done to death but I cannot find a nice concise answer anywhere so I thought I would post my specific request.

I want to replace my current heating and water control system with an X10 one. I have some 2 digimax RF modules controlling underfloor heating and a digimax wall module controlling the radiator heating and the water heating.

Is there an X10 module(s) that I can straight swap for heating and water control? Can I replace the SCR for the floor heating with X10 ones (which ones?).

Is there an X10 wall mounted controller that will switch both the heating and water independently?

Many thanks,

Martin.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I think the X10 Appliance modules would be the best ones.
    You don't say what type of under floor heating you have, electric or wet.
    As for controllers, the SC9000 panel or the SC9001 panel would be suitable. I can send you the manual if you want.
    And what do you mean by SCR,as I always thought it stood for silicon controlled rectifier.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• mrichmond007
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by toscal View Post
      I think the X10 Appliance modules would be the best ones.
      You don't say what type of under floor heating you have, electric or wet.
      As for controllers, the SC9000 panel or the SC9001 panel would be suitable. I can send you the manual if you want.
      And what do you mean by SCR,as I always thought it stood for silicon controlled rectifier.
      The Underfloor heating is wet, pipes and pumps. The RF controller at the moment is a Drayton RF3 and this document talks about SCR but does not define the acronym. Basically in this case the "SCR" is the bit that switches the pumps on and off on receipt of an RF signal from the thermostat. I agree that SCR is Silicon Controlled Rectifier, from my EE Degree days!

I have a system running Homeseer through a CM11 interface, does this negate the need for a SC9000/9001 or does that bit do the temperature switching? I would like the ability to programmatically switch the system on and off according to other events etc.

Which appliance modules do you recommend? I have found the wire in direct ones at letsautomate, not sure if the switches are necessary but could be useful as an override I guess.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Martin.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

If you are using homeseer then you may want to look at www.rfxcom.com for the temperature sensors.
        The SC9000/1 panels read the temp from the digimax thermostats and act accordingly. Also you can tell the panel you are away from home and it will lower the temp. so if you set the fallback to 19 and normal on temp to 22. When the heating comes on and you are not there then the heating will keep the house at 19 and as soon as you arrive it will go back to 22. The panels have a built in telephone dialer, so you can phone in and switch things on.
        Manual over ride is always a good idea.
        The micro modules tend to be more reliable.
        Oh and check that the sc panels have the correct firmware most nowadays do, but some of the older panels don't.
        We may be getting rid of some old X10 stock after Easter, It will probably be a mix of modules, an SC9001 panel and some other X10 goodies as one whole lot.
        Will post in the relevant section of the forums when we do it.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X