• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cypher007
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2016

what to do? 4 bed house new boiler need a way to control rooms

I have the following setup:

Intergas 24kw HE OV boiler, with soon to be added weather comp and Splan cylinder temp mod.

250L unvented DHW tank with 2 immersion heaters which are staged top to bottom via a change over stat. the immersions are fed from a kit built solar PV diverter.

5KW burley wood stove in lounge/dinner.

cavity insulated loft insulated.

rads with a motley collection of about 4 different types of trv.

looked at evohome but I think this is a system which would take years to payback and probably would require replacement TRVs in that time due to wear.

so now looking at EQ3 but, and its a pretty big one, it uses a portal system to milk people for subscription.

is there any systems which would allow zone control without costing more than the savings over 10 years?

I don't need a touch screen front end I could just use either a phone, tablet, or laptop of which we have plenty.
    I need to be able to close down the rads in the lounge/dinner totally when using the log burner as ive found them getting hot even with trvs on.
    so I could do with a kind of macro system that resets in the morning back to another set of defaults.

we use the current time switch on a boost basis so in the morning we have 1 hr heating. then at night 1 hr before bed to heat the bedrooms toilet.
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

I am biased as I have Evohome but I find it easy to use, controls over zones/rooms excellent. It has provided me with a better balanced heating around the house in places where it is wanted. I did not invest in it with a view to saving money but for better personal comfort and control. I got that and as a bonus a drop in gas consumption which I am sure is attributable to having Evohome. There are some decisions in life where we have to put aside the "What will I save?" concept and think "What is better for our personal comfort and control?"

Comment

• cypher007
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2016

yeah I was going to go evohome but it has a front end that I don't really need and its far too expensive to make any saving. also I found they only supply one adapter which fitted my 2 danfoss valves but Ive got a noname that has a 28mm thread on it. so that would have then meant buying more adapters.

Comment

Working...
      X